[Feature Request]: Password protection

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Teksik
Student Sheep

Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:55 pm

Hi developers.
Is it possible to add an option to protect the program with a password?
1. Passwords to email accounts are not secured. They are open.
2. Other users can download and read messages from my accounts.
I know that it will slow down the use of the program, but there should be such an option if someone wants to.

Thank you and best regards
Last edited by Teksik on Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Password protection

Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:04 pm

This feature request has already been suggested . . . in the (hidden) beta forum — hope the Developer can implement it in the forthcoming v8. ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Teksik
Student Sheep

Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 pm

Maybe just remove the eye button? ;)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm

Personally yeah, don't like the password reveal button feature, myself — it might seem helpful to some others, though (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54217&p=161306&hil ... rd#p161306)

Maybe, you might want to edit your OP to prefix the Topic . . . with Feature Request:—

MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Teksik
Student Sheep

Re: [Feature Request]: Password protection

Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:54 am

It's crazy to introduce such an option.
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:23 am

Yes, the eye icon has saved more users than I can count needing to reset their passwords, however for users with multiple people using their computers it is a bit of a problem I agree, but as trustfire said, it is on the list to have as an option, with all these suggestions however they are going to remain on that list until after we get MWPro 8 released.... as trustfire knows though :) this is taking longer than anticipated..... :snore
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 am

The eye feature to reveal passwords is totally different than requiring a password to start MailWasher and/or view emails.

As far as the eye feature to see email account passwords, I like the feature. I have MW manage multiple email accounts, all with different passwords. It has proved very convenient for me to have them easily accessible via MW. HOWEVER - my computer is not physically accessible by others, I am the only user, and my computer requires a password upon boot or waking from sleep.

That said, the standard convention virtually everywhere else is for the eye feature to be operational ONLY when entering the password when creating/modifying an account - not to reveal it after the fact. To comply with standard conventions, it probably would be best to have it work that way.

As for a password to start/open MW, or to view emails, I personally don't see how that can be implemented without it being a real PITA. My worry is that it would nag me for a password dozens of times a day. I surely would end up disabling it. On the flip side, if it asks only once, I don't see how it can continue to keep everything secure throughout the day.

One thing I would be vehemently opposed to is tying MailWasher's password to Windows or Microsoft's password. I don't use one now to start Windows (I use a local account), I don't want to use it for MW.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
Teksik
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:03 am

There should be a choice. If someone wants to reveal their password, it's their choice.
Once again. The user should be able to choose whether or not to use this option.
A program of this type should not be used as a notebook to read forgotten passwords.
Logging in with a Windows password is also dangerous because it is easy to change the password even without knowing it.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:14 am

To gain inspiration for the program access password, RoboForm . . . the password manager is one nice example and The Bat! Professional . . . an e-mail client, is yet another good example — when it is run, it presents the User with the following dialog where a master password needs to be input to gain access to the program:—
The_Bat!_Access_Credential.png
The_Bat!_Access_Credential.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

This master password shares no correlation with the Windows password — regardless of whether it's a Local account or Microsoft account.

This password can last the entire session until the program is running in foreground or even background (in the case of The Bat! Professional) — optionally, it can automatically log-off the User from program access upon the combination of certain events, pre-determined by the User (in the case of RoboForm):—
RoboForm_Auto_Log-off.png
RoboForm_Auto_Log-off.png (145.39 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Once the User is logged-off, (s)he would need to input the credential afresh . . . in order to access the program, once again.

In addition to the above, The Bat! Professional possesses the end-to-end encryption capability and also empowers the User with the choice of on-the-fly encryption of all mail & associated data files on the hard-disk.

Can't find even a single reason why MailWasher wouldn't be able to achieve what other programs like The Bat! Professional & RoboForm have achieved . . . many years ago — plenty of inspiration for v8. :thumbsup
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 am

Thanks TrustFire, and I agree, should be easy to add, and no, wont have anything to do with the windows password... :)

Cheers!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”