Transfer Data After PC Crashes

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
LNS11804
Rattled Rabbit

Transfer Data After PC Crashes

Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:09 pm

My old PC died a few days ago. I purchased a new PC and was able to transfer the drive to the new machine.

How can I move my lists of Friends, Blacklists and other learned data from the old drive to my newly installed MWP7?
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Transfer Data After PC Crashes

Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:30 pm

No problem, here's how to transfer to your new PC..

First, install MWPro 7 to your new PC from here:

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/ma ... o/download

Then, to transfer your old data, (OPTIONAL) on the old PC's MWPro installation click File>>Export, and save the exported file somewhere you can locate it to move it to your new PC.

Note you can also click Help>>Registration on the old MWPro installation and get your registration key from there if required.

Then, within MWPro on the new PC click File>>Import and import this file.
LNS11804
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:58 am

Thank you for your quick response.

I was able to register my new installation of MWPro by logging onto the website and copying my registration code from there.

My problem is that I can't open my old MWPro installation - my old computer is DEAD! However, I have access to all the files on the old c: drive that I have restored from backups to a temporary location. How can I point my currrent installation to the old files OR what files do I need to copy to what directory on my NEW c: drive to transfer this data?
gingbat

Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:48 am

Yes, the user files are usually stored under:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher

OR, under Help>>User Files within MWPro, (that should open the same folder by default).

So... save the data from the above location on your old PC/drive first, then in MWPro click Help>User Files, minimise the folder that opens and click File>>Exit to close MWPro.

Now, open the folder where you saved your previous user data earlier, (so you have both folders open side by side), and drag FROM the saved folder INTO the User Files folder.

Restart MWPro and you should be all set.

(OR: you may have backed up MW first via File>>Export? if you have, click File>>Import and import the file you saved from the old PC)
LNS11804
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:47 am

I did as you suggested by copying all the files from my old installation to the new pc. Mailwasher now won't start with a "corrupt database" message.

Is there only a few files that contain the saved Blacklist and Friends data that I can move? I don't really care about anything else - I can easily reproduce the rest, as needed.

I'll save the originals first, in case these are the corrupt database files. I wish I had a backup to import, but I only have the raw files.
gingbat

Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Yes, unfortunately the database that must be corrupt is the file that contains the black/friends lists... (MWP.db3 file)

Best just setting these up as new, or importing the friendslist from any installed email program, or a text file if you have one....
LNS11804
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:02 am

You hit the nail on the head...

I restored only the MWP.db3 file and that created the "corrupt database" problem. I will re-create my blacklist and friends over time. At least, now I understand where the problem is.

A suggestion: Maybe a weekly automatic backup or backup on exit would be a good idea? Also, not in the cache directory since (I just discovered) my cloud backup does not include cache directories since they typically only contain temporary files. Obviously, this does not apply in this case. I will also try to remember to occasionally create an export.

Thank you for all your help.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”