Automatic Bounce

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
gwanny32
Mystified Moa

Automatic Bounce

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 am

I have just subscribed to the new MW Pro 2010 having used MW Pro for many years. Does anyone know if all the emails that are sent to the recycle bin by a filter in 2010 are automatically bounced at the same time? It looks to me as if they are only deleted from the server. It also appears that the only emails that are bounced are the ones that you personally mark for bounce in the preview pane when you are given the option to do so. I would have thought that all filtered emails are bounced as a metter of course but I cannot find any confirmation that this is the case in the help menu. Anyone know the answer?
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Re: Automatic Bounce

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:01 am

There is no Automatic Bounce in MWP2010 as 99% of SPAM comes from forges email addresses and bouncing just punishes legit people that are having their addresses spoofed :(
Annie.......... PC details (see Web Server)
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.11.17]
gwanny32
Mystified Moa

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 am

Never thought of that. Makes real good sense. Thanks!
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:07 am

The manual bounce is for using when, for example, you have a stalker/ex partner and know their email address is legit, you can then bounce to make it look like you have deleted your email account and hopefully they will then leave you alone.
Annie.......... PC details (see Web Server)
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.11.17]
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:20 am

Bouncing used to be a good way to deal with spam but the spammers started stealing addresses to try to sneak past folks using friends lists and to hide where the spam really came from, that messed up the bounce. It is so bad now that some folks getting a bounce to a spam they didn't send are reporting you to your ISP for sending them the spam! You really don't need that kind of grief!

There has been some discussion of trying to patch up the bounce tool so it would not send bounces to a forged e-mail address but it turns out that getting that to 100% is darned near impossible. Hopefully they will do what is possible in a future release.
gwanny32
Mystified Moa

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 am

Might need to dump the lady of the house then to see if it works. Thanks again. Great product as usual from Firetrust.
gwanny32
Mystified Moa

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 am

Had the problem of spam from my own email addresses for ages. Seems to have slowed down but can't get rid of the problem completely. Sent by and return path both mine and I can't figure out a solution. Got any suggestions, i.e filters or the like? First time I have used this forum, wish I had tried it sooner.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:04 am

Have you done a really good spyware scan lately???? Sounds like you might have been had by a spammer and maybe they've hijacked your system. Give it a really thorough scanning with a couple different scanners (no single scanner ever finds everything) and then see if your Spam problem (Sent By >> Return Path) goes away. Instead of going out and buying several first-rate ones (not many of the freebies are very good in situations like this) it might be cheaper to have a tech-shop do it.
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.5, 16GB RAM, w/ Parallels 11.x running Win7 SP1 Ultimate, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 am

gwanny32 wrote:Had the problem of spam from my own email addresses for ages. Seems to have slowed down but can't get rid of the problem completely. Sent by and return path both mine and I can't figure out a solution. Got any suggestions, i.e filters or the like? First time I have used this forum, wish I had tried it sooner.

I get that a lot, it is spammers using my address in both places. Pair up the From-Me and Not-From-Me filters here and that will sort out these junk messages and protect any you do send yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5575
gwanny32
Mystified Moa

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks. Will apply and try that method right now and see how it goes. Let you know.........
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 am

gwanny32 wrote:Might need to dump the lady of the house then to see if it works.

:rofl

great comment to read to start my day

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”