SpamCop in MW 2010

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Dabar
Rattled Rabbit

SpamCop in MW 2010

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Can you please say whether the quote "Things still to be implemented which were in the old MailWasher Pro. Reporting: The old MailWasher Pro allowed you to report spam to us. We're going to overhaul this and allow you to report spam to other organizations and your ISP." refers to SpamCop reporting?

Thank you.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: SpamCop in MW 2010

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Yes that's right. Hopefully reporting to SpamCop isn't too far off, though we need things to die down a little first before time is available.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:19 am

I'm hoping to see that soon too, there are a lot of good suggestions to improve it over the reporting option in v6 and I hope as many as possible make it into this version.

Rusticdog, if you don't have a list of them handy for the programmers I'd be happy to go dig up what I can find and post it. I've carped about it enough that is the least I can do. :-)
MrBill
Prudent Pukeko

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 am

stan_qaz wrote:I'm hoping to see that soon too, there are a lot of good suggestions to improve it over the reporting option in v6 and I hope as many as possible make it into this version.

Rusticdog, if you don't have a list of them handy for the programmers I'd be happy to go dig up what I can find and post it. I've carped about it enough that is the least I can do. :-)
I think it might be worth posting - I searched but didn't find much except SpamCop. Reporting multiple messages per report, using quick reporting, what else? I'd like KnujOn reporting, and possibly a facility to allow users to build their own custom list of reporting addresses using an xml file or some such. Some things should go to FTC, or country equivalent. Some should go to large-company-specific scam address so they can investigate/prosecute their own.
Bill Walton
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:10 am

Off the top of my head, these look good. I'd really want to go back and dig to make sure I hadn't missed anything before submitting a final list.

Reporting multiple messages per spamcop.net report, there is a message size limit I'd have to dig out. This is a real time saver as it cuts down on the individual reply messages you get for each spam sent so that you only get one reply for each group of spam messages sent.

A simple method to select full or quick reporting on a per-message basis so you could report using both options in one wash cycle.

A report throttle for both full and Quick reports so you could limit the number of lines sent by each type. Very important for keeping costs down for paying reporters. Really pays off if you have looked at a message and triggered the auto-download of 999 lines for the preview.

-- For quick reports there is no sense in reporting much message body with a quick report since spamcop doesn't look at the body and you need just enough to show it was spam if questioned, 25 lines is more than enough.

-- For full reports you want all of the body but usually not so much any attachments, say 200 lines as spamcop.net looks at the body to generate additional reports on spammy links. If you do want to send a full message with attachments at some point it is easy enough to do manually by a copy/paste from the source tab to the spamcop.net web form so this isn't something MW needs to deal with.

A method to resend any report that is rejected by your SMTP server or that gets lost in the process. Spamcop.net automatically sorts out duplicate messages reported so that isn't something MW has to deal with.

EDIT: An indication that the message has been reported, removing/disabling the check-boxes is fine or another state on the report graphic (mentioned below) would do.

A way to specify a primary SMTP server for sending spam reports, having the sending try the fall-back (restore) server if the primary fails would be good too. Way too many servers are blocking spammy looking outgoing messages making reporting a royal aggravation, being able to select one that works every time is really important.

A log of reports sent out, even better if the report messages themselves are available for some period of time.

Note: This server stuff will be important to MW internally once the statistics stuff is ready so the reports are reliably sent.

Bill, Your suggestion below makes sense so that folks could add their ISP or other address to be reported to even if they didn't want to report to spamcop.
I'd like KnujOn reporting, and possibly a facility to allow users to build their own custom list of reporting addresses.
Ideally I'd like a "Spamcop Report" column with two check-boxes in it, one for quick and one for full reporting. If someone has the time a fancy multi-state graphic (like classification) might be clearer than the check-boxes and that would be nice to have.

I'd think each other reporting address deserves its own column, you'd not want to report all your spam to KnujOn like you do spamcop or mail from other sources to your ISP's spam address. Maybe an option to select "Report to All" but that wouldn't be a big priority for me and it opens up the ease of abuse situation as would automatic reporting.
Last edited by stan_qaz on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 am

stan_qaz wrote:A log of reports sent out, even better if the report messages themselves are available for some period of time.

Bill, Your suggestion below makes sense so that folks could add their ISP or other address to be reported to even if they didn't want to report to spamcop.
I'd like KnujOn reporting, and possibly a facility to allow users to build their own custom list of reporting addresses.
I too like this idea about being able to add/remove ISP's on a User/User basis. That would be very helpful. :thumbsup :mrgreen:

Stan,

Once the Stat Pkg gets implemented, are you suggesting a separate log for & associated report be generated for Spam Reporting that would then become part of the Stat Pkg and User set periodic report???? (i.e. a Spam Reporting report in addition to regular report) :scratch
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:46 am

No, the statistics for the spam reporting should be in with the other statistics in the statistics report.

What I am hoping for is a way to see from within MW what reporting messages have been generated/sent, something similar to what you see now on the Log tab when you restore a message at a minimum and any additional detail up to having the full sent spam-report message available would be a bonus. The report has to be generated in any case, I'm just hoping to have it saved somewhere and available which is not that much more work to program. For a first cut I'd not even be unhappy to have just the log tab entries and the message optionally stuffed in a directory leaving locating specific ones and cleaning up as a manual process for the user to deal with outside MW.

The same goes for the sending of the statistics reports which would hopefully be able to re-use much of the coding done for spam report processing.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 am

Added this to the list above, forgot about it until I got busy reporting stuff a couple minutes ago.

EDIT: An indication that the message has been reported, removing/disabling the check-boxes is fine or another state on the report graphic (mentioned below) would do.
MrBill
Prudent Pukeko

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:21 pm

QuietOne wrote: I too like this idea about being able to add/remove ISP's on a User/User basis. That would be very helpful. :thumbsup :mrgreen:
I was hoping for something not very easy to implement - a geek tool buried in the xml files, but exposed as a drop-down list of places to report to, with check-box type selections next to them. Depending on how they implement Stan's SpamCop choices, this could just add on to them in the UI. See next message...
Last edited by MrBill on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Walton
MrBill
Prudent Pukeko

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:45 pm

stan_qaz wrote:Ideally I'd like a "Spamcop Report" column with two check-boxes in it, one for quick and one for full reporting. If someone has the time a fancy multi-state graphic (like classification) might be clearer than the check-boxes and that would be nice to have.

I'd think each other reporting address deserves its own column, you'd not want to report all your spam to KnujOn like you do spamcop or mail from other sources to your ISP's spam address. Maybe an option to select "Report to All" but that wouldn't be a big priority for me and it opens up the ease of abuse situation as would automatic reporting.
I'm envisioning as many as six or eight reporting destinations - a lot of columns. How about one column, with a fancy graphic and a drop-down list (maybe similar to the View menu list:
selection.gif
Ignore the text...
selection.gif (5.47 KiB) Viewed 14358 times
Allow the user to optionally define up to six reporting targets, in addition to the two built-in ones (SpamCop Full and SpamCop Quick). Imagine these two together at the top of the list, with a divider below them, and any user-defined ones below that. The top two would act like a two-position Radio button (you wouldn't want both at once, right?). The others would be selected on or off for each target. I would hope this could be implemented so you could select several messages, then go into the drop-down and mark all of the selected messages for the same reporting targets. The "fancy graphic" could be a little domino-like rectangle with 8 spots, tiny for unselected and big for selected (blank for not defined), so acting as a visual representation of which reporting targets were selected for any individual message. "Already reported" status could be a different color domino, not active when clicked (or pop up a list of where reported when clicked).
Bill Walton
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:00 pm

For speed I'd really like individual columns, too folks could just turn on the ones they want to see. As long as care was used in naming them you'd only need to see three or so letters to tell which was which after a bit of practice.

If the drop-menu or right-click menu type setting is done I'd hope that the display only showed the enabled reporting options or showed the ones that weren't enabled as grayed out.

I haven't really thought on what to do for the graphic, if they decide to go that route I'll ponder a bit before posting.
Dabar
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Thank you for your prompt response.

Until the SpamCop reporting procedure is included in the new MW 2010 can you please tell me how I am to report Spam (as shown in MW 2010) to SpamCop?

Thank you
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:24 am

Not too hard, just log on to spamcop.net and switch to the source view in the preview in MW, select all from there and paste it into the spamcop.net web form.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”