Cannot import blacklist

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mkcomputing
Travelling Tuatara

Cannot import blacklist

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:46 am

I wanted to import various things, especially my blacklist.

I found out where to do it. (>>Settings>>Blacklist bit of Spam Tool Settings.)

It then promises to import stuff from Mailwasher and "known email programs".

It doesn't work.

It does work in Friends List.

In Blacklist nothing happens.

I checked my old version to see if there are any address there. Yup.

What am I doing wrong?

I did a quick search here to see if this has surfaced already. Can't see it.
MK
MW 2010.1.0.42 + Outlook 2007
Windows 7 Home Pro | Outlook 2007 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+ | 4.0 GB Memory | NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Cannot import blacklist

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:57 am

Is the old MailWasher blacklist.txt file in the regular location, or have you altered the location of the data files for the old MailWasher ?
mkcomputing
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 am

rusticdog wrote:Is the old MailWasher blacklist.txt file in the regular location, or have you altered the location of the data files for the old MailWasher ?
I may have moved it. I like to have control over where software keeps data that I want to backup.

It sits here:

E:\Data\Mailwasher\Blacklist.txt

But MailWasher found the Friends list. Isn't that in the same file?

Actually, this also causes problems. I am getting more crashes and errors when importing.

First I get this:

I can neither close it nor move It. Have to use task manager to kill it.

It seems to be there because this one is hanging:

It seems to hang at a different place each time. Once again, only Task Manager can kill it.

Actually the whole thing seems to be flaky. I restarted MW2010 and it has lost the stuff it previously imported.

I just shut down MW2010. On reopening it, the Friends list was empty, including entries added since I installed MW2010.

It has just imported a bunch of stuff from somewhere. No idea where. It doesn't say.
MK
Windows 7 Home Pro | Outlook 2007 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+ | 4.0 GB Memory | NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:38 pm

OK, if you moved a copy of that file to the Application Data\Roaming\MailWasher Pro\ folder the blacklist import would kick in. We didn't cater for folk who had done this shortcut to move data files.

The Friends List most likely is coming from the email clients, not Mailwasher. However there will be a copy of the blacklist.txt file still in the folder MailWasher Pro used to use, so perhaps they are from that also.

Would the logs you sent for the other problem have been sent after these crashes ?
Edit : Ignore that question, I see it all now in the logs
mkcomputing
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 pm

rusticdog wrote:We didn't cater for folk who had done this shortcut to move data files.
You mean you assume that none of your users are meddling fools who don't know to leave well alone?

Yes, there was an old Blacklist.txt where it is supposed to be.

The way to look for deviant behaviour is, of course, to tell MailWasher 2010 to look for:

"C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\Application Data.lnk"

That was the advice that appeared here for anarchists who wanted to keep their data in a location of their choice.

Does that still work?
MK
mkcomputing
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm

After copying Blacklist.txt to the "right" location, the import worked. Well almost.

I still got:

But this time I could dismiss it.

Unfortunately, that left MW2010 frozen.

Right clicking the icon on the "Notification area" then provoked a .NET error.

I restarted MW2010. This time imports did not evoke a crash.
MK
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Does it make a difference if you have emails in the list or not ? We can't be sure, but think this might be related.
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 am

I have a similar problem in that my install of pre-2010 MailWasher was installed on my "D" drive. I took the default "C" when installing 2010. What is the process for moving my old blacklist to 2010>? I have copied the blacklist.txt file from the old version to the new one, but 2010 isn't finding it. For me, it makes no difference whether there are emails or not.
Carl Heinz
Windows XP Pro SP3+, Fortè Agent, iPad Air, MailWasher Beta Tester
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:54 am

With the NEW MWP2010 you have to manually import the Blacklist (same for the Friends List) (see screen cap). But given that you also did a custom install of the OLD MWP, it may not be able to find the old blacklist.txt file (all the new data files are xml files).
BlacklistImport.jpg
BlacklistImport.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 14907 times
Sorry but you'll have to wait for somebody else to chime in as I can't remember where the best place is to place the old files in a case like this so they can be found by the new version. Sorry. :facepalm
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 am

My blacklist.txt for MWP6.5.4 under Windows 7 is here:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Annie\AppData\Roaming\MailWasherPro
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks, Quietone. After moving the .txt file to the 2010 folder, I hadn't clicked the "Import" button. Once I did this, the old list magically appeared. :)
Carl Heinz
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:41 am

cfheinz wrote:Thanks, Quietone. After moving the .txt file to the 2010 folder, I hadn't clicked the "Import" button. Once I did this, the old list magically appeared. :)
De Nada! I just wasn't sure where the file was best located, for import purposes, given you had done: 1) A custom install of MWP (old); and 2) Were running on Win7 (which I haven't even messed with). :thumbsup :mrgreen:
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 am

My current OS is XP Pro. I did copy the .txt file to the 2010 folder, though, and then did the import.
Carl Heinz
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 pm

cfheinz wrote:I have a similar problem in that my install of pre-2010 MailWasher was installed on my "D" drive. I took the default "C" when installing 2010. What is the process for moving my old blacklist to 2010>? I have copied the blacklist.txt file from the old version to the new one, but 2010 isn't finding it. For me, it makes no difference whether there are emails or not.
That shouldn't matter, the new version should just look for the blacklist.txt file in

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\MailWasherPro\
globetrotter
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Just thought I'd add my bit.

I'm running XP Pro and Mailwasher 6.5.3. Mailwasher is a great tool.

When I installed Pro 2010 and imported the Friend's list it went away, brought in the Friend's list from MW 653 and all my email addresses from Outlook - which I didn't want to happen. It failed to import the Blacklist.

I admit some people will want to import all their email addresses and some, like me, do not. The easy solution would be to allow for both options (old Friend's/Black list and/or all email addresses).

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”