twl845 MW Startup

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

twl845 MW Startup

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:59 pm

If you reboot the machine, start MailWasher. Close MailWasher once fully loaded, wait a few seconds, then start it again.

Then go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter beta as the Ticket Number and Send Logs. The beta ticket number sends straight to me, rather than dumping the email into the Support guys ticketing system
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Re: twl845 MW Startup

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:30 pm

rusticdog wrote:If you reboot the machine, start MailWasher. Close MailWasher once fully loaded, wait a few seconds, then start it again.

Then go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter beta as the Ticket Number and Send Logs. The beta ticket number sends straight to me, rather than dumping the email into the Support guys ticketing system
Thanks for your concern. I sent the logs. :)
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:51 pm

The logs look fine, that is, there is nothing irregular showing. We see a typical 30 second cold start, the warm start was around 10 seconds which is expected. I say typical meaning XP machines that are a few years old.

I don't think there is anything considerable you can do at this point. You could certainly add more RAM, but the amount of RAM free on your machine doesn't indicate (in my opinion) that you would really gain anything in terms of MailWasher startup time.

So from here improving the startup time is a case of us rationalising all the startup routines, determining what MailWasher needs to load to function and what could be delayed.
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 am

rusticdog wrote:The logs look fine, that is, there is nothing irregular showing. We see a typical 30 second cold start, the warm start was around 10 seconds which is expected. I say typical meaning XP machines that are a few years old.

I don't think there is anything considerable you can do at this point. You could certainly add more RAM, but the amount of RAM free on your machine doesn't indicate (in my opinion) that you would really gain anything in terms of MailWasher startup time.

So from here improving the startup time is a case of us rationalising all the startup routines, determining what MailWasher needs to load to function and what could be delayed.
OK thanks for your efforts. I intend to get a new computer when using XP starts to become a pain. It looks like this is the beginning of it becoming a pain. I noticed that the 3 or four other people having the startup issue all have XP as a common thread. They all have between 1.5Mbs and 4 Mbs of RAM so I don't think RAM is the culprit. In the mean time I'll continue to use V2010 and see if later updates improve the startup time while I wait to get that new computer. Thanks again. :D
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:23 am

No problems, I'll try to post updates here also so we can see any progress :)

Chances are this week we'll be working on other things, got quite a few unexpected crash issues that didn't show in beta testing to resolve etc...but getting this working faster is important for those first impressions to get right, so we should look at soon after.

Cheers
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm wishing the wife would let my buy a SSD (flash drive hard disk) to replace my old one, everything I see points to the disk drive being the guilty party.

She did agree to let me buy a Western Digital Black series drive (love them and have 9 Blacks (fast) in other machines along with 6 Green (quiet) ones) that should give my disk operations a big boost in speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... geSize=100

Went looking for a link and I'm off to order this one... 640 GB, 32 MB cache %55 US and free shipping! Whooo!!!
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:36 pm

stan_qaz wrote:I'm wishing the wife would let my buy a SSD (flash drive hard disk) to replace my old one, everything I see points to the disk drive being the guilty party.

She did agree to let me buy a Western Digital Black series drive (love them and have 9 Blacks (fast) in other machines along with 6 Green (quiet) ones) that should give my disk operations a big boost in speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... geSize=100

Went looking for a link and I'm off to order this one... 640 GB, 32 MB cache %55 US and free shipping! Whooo!!!
If you really want to tear up the turf then do the latest new 6 GB Transfer Rate SATA.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm

I've looked at the 6 GB SATAs for one of my other computers, the faster IO rate really only helps when dragging stuff out of the drive's cache memory (max I saw now is 64 MB) and even then the computer has to support the 6 GB mode. For disk reading even on sequential files it is difficult to max out a 3 GB interface.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/evoluti ... torage.pdf

You may see some improvement on a 10k or 15k RPM drive or on a SSD but for desktop range SATA 3 is good enough for now. Oh, 6 GB is great if you are using an external RAID enclosure!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”