how filters affect learning

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
allangjohnson
Travelling Tuatara

how filters affect learning

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:57 am

If a filter correctly identifies a type of spam and auto-deletes it, does MW also evaluate those emails for learning purposes?

AJ
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: how filters affect learning

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 am

Not sure with regard to the auto delete but Learning is normally controlled based on the "Total" evaluation numerical result. There are two ranges regarding the actual number that affect the decision:
MWP Learning Rangs.png
MWP Learning Rangs.png (49.15 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
The Total number is also influenced by the Filter slider:
MWP Filter Slider.png
MWP Filter Slider.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
The mathematical summation of the numerical values of each of the MWP evaluation tools as shown in the Sidebar determine the Total scoring for the message and whether or not it will be learned.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 am

See this topic regarding the Learning Range Values for the Total scoring:
http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 401#p23815
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
allangjohnson
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks, though I have to admit the technicalities of this are a bit beyond me - my main concern is whether having filters in place interferes with the MW learning function.

AJ
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 am

Nope, I have a huge pile of filters and for me they help learning since they weight the spam correctly in many cases saving me having to click the learning buttons to correct them. If I spit 500 test messages into MW with the learning tool reset to a blank state the first wash (using just the filter results and no manual classification) populates the tables with enough info that it is back to a very respectable level of accuracy. If I go through and deal with the ones not filtered or filtered to neutral the accuracy goes even higher.

I don't know about auto-delete's effect and likely will never risk using it to find out.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 am

The short answer to your question is "No".

The filters you create will only help you organize and designate any email you receive as "Good", "Spam", or "Neutral" (i.e. Undecided). The Learning goes on behind the scenes and will take into account what filters you write and the various messages caught by them but is otherwise separate and will run just as well w/ or w/o filters.
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
allangjohnson
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 am

Thank you - that's just what I needed to know.

AJ

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”