Wash Mail and "Links To"

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
hornet
Rattled Rabbit

Wash Mail and "Links To"

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 am

Hi

Having been a successful user of mailwasher for many years I have just upgraded to the new version. I uninstalled my previous version and chose to not save previous settings. I wanted to start from scratch.

Just a couple of things...

Having installed and set up my accounts, I did a mail check and a large number of emails was found. I gave them the thumbs up or thumbs down as appropriate and hit the "Wash Mail" button. 20 minutes later.... nothing seems to be happening. It says "washing mail" at the bottom but why is it not doing anything? Is there something else I should do?

Secondly, I really loved the feature on my previous version where, next to a link to a website, mailwasher used to show the actual address you would be taken to... like this:

"Click on (link is shown here) for more details" {links to: www.this_is_a_fake_website.com}

I really found this useful because if the email supposedly came from the BBC and the "links to" said somewhere else then it was obviously a spam email.

Does this feature exist in the new version? I can't see it as yet. If so, how do I get it to work?

Many thanks.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Wash Mail and "Links To"

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

You can see the link that will be opened by hovering your mouse over the link in the message:
link1.png
double-click the graphic or click, wait, click again and you can scroll to see the whole thing.
link1.png (14.08 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Normally the washing process proceeds at a fairly good clip and you should see some progress in the status bar. As you first get started it can be slow as nearly every message will be used to update the Learning tool. If it doesn't start deleting at some point exit and restart and give it another go, you should see a lot of the messages being correctly classified on the second try. Once they are up check the classification and give them another try at deletion. If it doesn't go that time open the help menu and send in a set of logs, support can see what is going wrong and help you out, do include a link to this topic so they can see the background on your issue.

There is no reason to uninstall the old MW before installing the new one, aside from offering to import some of your old settings from the old MW or from your mail programs this is a completely new program. I run both versions on my computer at the same time, both checking mail together too. There is no problem doing that and it can be handy if you need a feature like spamcop reporting that isn't active in the new version yet.
hornet
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Brilliant, thank you. I'll try all those suggestions.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:19 pm

You should have seen some of the whining and moaning in the beta testing of a lot of this stuff! It takes a while to realize that this is an entirely new program and gives you a completely different method of attacking spam. Once the testers started to embrace the new concepts and switch from their old methods they started to realize Nick and crew aren't complete fools and have come up with a program to deal with today's spam.

Too with the new licensing, as unpopular as it may be for some, the MW developers will have the ability to keep improving the product instead of just patching bugs and fixing new problems as they couldn't do in the past.

Drop by the suggestion site and look at some of the proposed options and some of the ones in the Accepted bin, add anything you can think of while you are there.

http://suggest.firetrust.com/

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”