annual fee

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Duck
Active Albatross

Re: annual fee

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:36 am

MrBill wrote:Do you use it on three machines because you need to access your mail from three physically separate locations? Maybe there's a better way to do this.
If you figure out a better way to do it, please share! I don't always use my laptop and often I switch between my desktop and laptop especially when away from home. It is convenient to check it from either location without having to go to one machine all the time (the one with MWP on it). For those who want the upgrade (Just can't buy it is a whole new program argument because it serves the same purpose, just written differently....semantics again), they will need to purchase a license for all computers that they want it on. I know that RD is looking into this with the big boss....and until it is resolves, it IS a problem.

Most are bringing up good points on BOTH sides. I am not a moderator, but I encourage the discussion to continue as it does provide some feedback to Firetrust. I just hope that everyone continues to be professional and not turn it personal based on individual opinions or reasons for not wanting to pay for an "option" that they will not use. We all know that the option is to "vote with our wallet" but like any other debacle, my vote can be bought if the price is right!
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:19 am

MrBill wrote:
sabarnett wrote:
Xtreme wrote:I guess my objection is that I have three PC's where I run Mail Washer, so it's not $10 per year for me, it's $30 per year since you have to pay per copy of the software and the software is only licensed for one PC. Add to that, I have to now buy two extra copies of the software for the other two machines and the bill starts to escallate.
Do you use it on three machines because you need to access your mail from three physically separate locations? Maybe there's a better way to do this.
I segment my work. My desktop is hy 'home' machine which, iconically, i use to remote desktop in to work with. It's also where I keep the bulk of my software. I also have an HP laptop which I tend to use in the evenings and where i do my .net development. My Sony laptop is used to maintain the source code for a previous employer - they made me redundant but couldn't afford a replacement developer, so I work for them in the evenings. The Sony lets me keep their work separate.

So, at any one time, I have MWPro running on one of these machines (only one at a time though). For that, I now have to pay three times as much as anyone else with a single PC.

The preview pane gives me nothing that the old preview did. I get to take a quick look at the email before it gets downloaded and can delete if I want to. Regards searching, I find this of limited use. I try not to keep enough email queued up to need something like that. It either gets deleted or read in to Outlook.

Steve
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am

Xtreme wrote:process mail in the 2010 version it is lightning fast compared to the v6 of Mailwasher Pro.
I guess it's largely down to ISP. I've noticed a massive startup time in 2010 and my mailboxes scan/process at roughly the same speed.
Xtreme wrote:I also do not get constant errors saying my username and password are incorrect, even when they are and no changes were made to my account settings.
Again, I believe this is an ISP thing. I used to get them a lot but they're quite rare now (except on one ISP!).
Xtreme wrote:As far as having multiple computers, I have two desktops, but only check email on one of them. For large households where there are multiple PC's, but also multiple people using them, perhaps in the future there will be a licensing option for say two or three computers per household.
I really don't object to paying for three licenses if that's the way it works. I prefer the Norton system where I buy one license that covers three PCs (A little gauling since I'm the only user and I can use it on only one PC at a time). It's the rapidly escallating cost of yearly renewals that I object to especially when the software 'stops' if i don't pay up. If it carried on working if I decided to abstain fromFirst Alert and upgrades, that would be fine.

Steve
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:59 am

michaelkenward wrote: I find the preview pane helps, which is ironic in that when I asked for something similar a few years ago I was told that this would be a security risk, and one that MW would not risk.

Don't really understand that at all, my v5 has a preview pane, v6 appears to have one too.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:10 am

On account checking speed, if you fiddle your pipeline settings you may see a big speed increase with them enabled, that is if your ISP offers pipelining. Might be worth asking them to turn it on if they don't.

The startup time is a problem any program that uses the .Net stuff is going to face, not a good thing but no real way around it if you develop for MS and don't have a huge pile of programmers. I've been told Vista and newer computers should adjust a bit to help the .Net stuff load faster, not really seeing it on my XP box though.

The account checking and DNS system appear to be working a lot better, for most ISPs, than they did in earlier versions. I'm hoping they also harden the SMTP stuff to prevent all the dropped e-mails that v5 and v6 had when reporting spam or restoring.

I'd write firetrust an e-mail and ask them about considering a policy change for multiple copy users, be nice and hopefully they will think about it at some point.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:10 am

Actually, the real shame here is that Firetrust have written a really great piece of software and we're ignoring it because someone in 'finance' decided it was time to screw the loyal customers out of money. I have the greatest of respect for Mailwasher pro and Firetrust. I also use Benign despite it having been ignored for years.

I'd much rather be talking about the great features than the price.
TronixA923
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:20 am

Duck wrote:
MrBill wrote: Most are bringing up good points on BOTH sides. I am not a moderator, but I encourage the discussion to continue as it does provide some feedback to Firetrust. I just hope that everyone continues to be professional and not turn it personal based on individual opinions or reasons for not wanting to pay for an "option" that they will not use. We all know that the option is to "vote with our wallet" but like any other debacle, my vote can be bought if the price is right!
Just to clarify, the only reason I mentioned that is because that's what one of the Beta Testers told me (hence I put it in quotes). I figured if that's their attitude about us raising vaild issues, then I'll just do exactly as they say if they don't want my business. I just get mad because I don't feel that my opinions are valued. I can use freeware just fine and if they want to charge people annually to "rent" their software then it's fine with me. I wonder if the beta testers were given any special priviledges with regards to the software since they have no issues like the rest of us.
At any rate, the beta tester is right to some degree. If Firetrust sees that a lot of people aren't buying their product for the given reason, eventually they WILL have to see things our way. It's just a matter of simple economics..you give people what they want- not what you think is best for them.
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 am

FYI, the person you're call a beta tester is RusticDog who is Firetrust staff, all the beta testers on this forum, me included, AFAIK are not employees of Firetrust but test MWP2010 in their spare time without payment.
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
TronixA923
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:30 am

anniebrion wrote:FYI, the person you're call a beta tester is RusticDog who is Firetrust staff, all the beta testers on this forum, me included, AFAIK are not employees of Firetrust but test MWP2010 in their spare time without payment.
At any rate, the point was this was said by someone affiliated with Firetrust in one way or another. With regards to the Beta Testers receiving software free for their use, I was only wondering this when I made my post- not trying to make accusations.
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:42 am

stan_qaz wrote:
michaelkenward wrote: I find the preview pane helps, which is ironic in that when I asked for something similar a few years ago I was told that this would be a security risk, and one that MW would not risk.

Don't really understand that at all, my v5 has a preview pane, v6 appears to have one too.
The new pane does a lot more.

Including invoking stuff that was previously deemed dodgy.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:03 am

michaelkenward wrote:
stan_qaz wrote:

The new pane does a lot more.

Including invoking stuff that was previously deemed dodgy.
Can you give me an example or two of what it is doing that you feel is unsafe?
Duck
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:45 am

TronixA923 wrote:
Duck wrote: Most are bringing up good points on BOTH sides. I am not a moderator, but I encourage the discussion to continue as it does provide some feedback to Firetrust. I just hope that everyone continues to be professional and not turn it personal based on individual opinions or reasons for not wanting to pay for an "option" that they will not use. We all know that the option is to "vote with our wallet" but like any other debacle, my vote can be bought if the price is right!
I just get mad because I don't feel that my opinions are valued.
Trust me, your opinions are valued or else they would not comment on any of the comments. I have talked to Rusticdog a few times via PM and he is a VERY reasonable person but he is also not the one making the decisions. You also have to understand that some of the beta testers are loyal to the program and they may be a little understandably defensive because they too put in a lot of hard work and feedback to help make this a better program.

My best advice to help make a change (for anyone) is to be reasonable in your comments and to be constructive. It is okay to make a point without any attacks. I'm not saying that you are making any attacks TronixA, ....I'm just speaking in general. I am watching these comments as they were made in another thread by a few others as well as myself (check out MWP2010 FAQ's), but we all may get what is palatable as long as we make logical and constructive comments and suggestions. Trust me...they are a good company and as a good company should do...they are listening.
Last edited by Duck on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:51 pm

I am a beta tester and don't speak for all of us who helped bring the product to launch but I can assure you that we are not paid for the time we put in. With regard to the $10 per year license e.g. less than $.03/day I'll gladly pay for what I use without crying about it. It's a first rate product with responsive problem resolution and support and keeps the junk off my system. Certainly not overpriced in today's market place.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 pm

stan_qaz wrote:The startup time is a problem any program that uses the .Net stuff is going to face, not a good thing but no real way around it...
I do develop on .Net and have the same problem. However, I put up a small "loading" style window from the main program start, before any other windows are displayed. MS do the same (as you may have seen with Expression studio if you have it). Ok, it's window dressing, but it looks like the app is doing something because you get an instant response to double clicking the icon. With MWP, I double click the icon then have to sit and wait until the entire screen goes black to know that something is happening. It's a perception thing and just blaming .Net is a cop out. You can get something on screen immediately and, even if it is useless, it gives a perception of responsiveness.
stan_qaz wrote:I'd write firetrust an e-mail and ask them about considering a policy change for multiple copy users, be nice and hopefully they will think about it at some point.
Not convinced. I've been following the conversations here and the responses from Firetrust imply to me that they're going to sit back and hope the issue goes away. Inevitably it will as people get bored with discussing it. The only issue left is how many customers will leave completely, how many will go back to V6 and how many will buy in to the "it's only $10, so what are you moaning about" argument.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:34 pm

There is a splash screen, but that doesn't show if MW is set to launch on startup. We could probably alter this to just make it so that it's only the automatic start that doesn't show the splash screen.

I've said before I don't agree with this license policy, I asked The Big Cheese to reconsider it and he wouldn't. The only thing that's going to change his mind is the users.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”