Why do blacklisted emails turn up in Outlook ?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
erniegru
Rattled Rabbit

Why do blacklisted emails turn up in Outlook ?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 am

Recently I've noticed some blacklisted email addressed items turning up in Outlook inbox, rather than being deleted. any suggestions please ? thanks
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Why do blacklisted emails turn up in Outlook ?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:28 am

erniegru wrote:Recently I've noticed some blacklisted email addressed items turning up in Outlook inbox, rather than being deleted. any suggestions please ? thanks
This could be one of two issues that I can think of, first there is a delay from the last time mail was checked by MWP and the time that you tell your email program to download the messages from the server. During that time a new message from a blacklisted source may have come into the server.

Second, Blacklisting in MWP 2010 does not automatically create a deletion. Blacklisting is only one of tools that the program uses to evaluate the message. The mathematical total of each of the tools determines the recommendation applied to the message. You can see that if you open the side panel or on the highlighted message right click and then Show evaluation details. The total value created determines if the message is designated as Spam and automatically marked for deletion or Undetermined or Good even if it was Blacklisted. You have a method of setting the values assigned to the tools in Settings, Spam Tools, Spam Ratings.
If you fully trust your Blacklist then slide the Blacklist to a value of -200. Clearly until you have trained the Bayesian evaluation on your message stream) around a couple of hundred messages. It may be better just to watch the InBox result and if you see one Blacklisted and want it deleted make sure the Trash Can Icon is checked. I leave my SidePanel Open in the narrow position and then look at any messages that I doubt.

If the Blacklisted message was also marked for deletion but was not deleted after Washing, then there is a problem we'll need to explore further.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Just to emphasize the Bayesian, you should be setting the classification on almost every incoming message to either good or spam. The only ones you wouldn't want to classify that I'm aware of would be spamcop or other spam reporting messages.
Software Tools
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:36 am

Sidewinder wrote:Second, Blacklisting in MWP 2010 does not automatically create a deletion.
This is completely anti-intuitive, and annoying, behaviour for a BLACK list function :shock:
Sidewinder wrote:Blacklisting is only one of tools that the program uses to evaluate the message.
Then you really should not be calling it a blacklist function then, if in reality it is not an absolute action and therefore only advisory in some respect. I intuitively expect that both Friends and Blacklist to be defaulted to absolute good/bad values that override other filter settings :idea:
Sidewinder wrote:Clearly until you have trained the Bayesian evaluation on your message stream) around a couple of hundred messages. It may be better just to watch the InBox result and if you see one Blacklisted and want it deleted make sure the Trash Can Icon is checked. I leave my SidePanel Open in the narrow position and then look at any messages that I doubt.
No, that is not at all CLEAR and is IMO very poor default behaviour :nono
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:45 am

Software Tools wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:Second, Blacklisting in MWP 2010 does not automatically create a deletion.
This is completely anti-intuitive, and annoying, behaviour for a BLACK list function :shock:
Sidewinder wrote:Blacklisting is only one of tools that the program uses to evaluate the message.
Then you really should not be calling it a blacklist function then, if in reality it is not an absolute action and therefore only advisory in some respect. I intuitively expect that both Friends and Blacklist to be defaulted to absolute good/bad values that override other filter settings :idea:
Sidewinder wrote:Clearly until you have trained the Bayesian evaluation on your message stream) around a couple of hundred messages. It may be better just to watch the InBox result and if you see one Blacklisted and want it deleted make sure the Trash Can Icon is checked. I leave my SidePanel Open in the narrow position and then look at any messages that I doubt.
No, that is not at all CLEAR and is IMO very poor default behaviour :nono[/quote
First off most of us who are trying to HELP YOU, did not design the program and are not employed by FT.
That said, go to Settings Spam Tools, Spam Ratings and move the Friends slider to +200 and the Blacklist slider to -200.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”