Surely an auto delete filter should automatically delete?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
PhilRose
Student Sheep

Surely an auto delete filter should automatically delete?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:54 am

Hi, I have the Language filter set up as shown in the attached screenshots but it doesn't delete the emails that are in Korean or whatever. It labels them as Language and deletes them when I hit Wash Mail. Wouldn't it be good if auto delete meant automatically delete! Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Phil
Attachments
04 Jul. 22 Phil.png
04 Jul. 22 Phil.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
02 Jul. 22 Phil.gif
02 Jul. 22 Phil.gif (22.43 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
PhilRose
Student Sheep

Re: Surely an auto delete filter should automatically delete?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 am

Actually, no, it doesn't even delete the mail unless I mark it as bad. Neither the green Thumbs Up nor the red Thumbs Down are lit. I have to manually mark the thing. Surely that's not right?
PhilRose
Student Sheep

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 am

Damn. Must add another proviso! Just had another Korean message come in and this time MW did at least MARK it for deletion. Any help would be so appreciated!

Phil
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 am

Why have you given the filter a score of 115?

That's an indication that messages hit by this filter are pretty good and may well be confusing things.
Windows 10
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 am

Spam should 99% of the time have a negative spam score ie -100
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 am

I'd let the filter run for a while without setting autodelete and then if you are satisfied with it turn on the auto and set it to give a -200 score.

A good reason to not auto-delete at least at first is to allow you to use the spam messages to train your Bayesian (learning) filter.

If you group by the status column all your like filtered messages will cluster together making them quick to review and delete.
PhilRose
Student Sheep

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks. I didn't realise that the spam score was what to assign, I thought it meant auto delete anything below that score. So now I have set it to give any email in foreign languages a -200 score and sure enough it does just that but still doesn't automatically delete the emails. I know that people don't suggest using auto delete but I am confident that all email in Korean will be spam and I want to get rid of it without having to review it. Is that not possible?

Thanks for all the help
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am

PhilRose wrote:Thanks. I didn't realise that the spam score was what to assign, I thought it meant auto delete anything below that score. So now I have set it to give any email in foreign languages a -200 score and sure enough it does just that but still doesn't automatically delete the emails. I know that people don't suggest using auto delete but I am confident that all email in Korean will be spam and I want to get rid of it without having to review it. Is that not possible?

Thanks for all the help
Make sure that you have the Filter Actions Tab set correctly to Auto Delete.

Put a wild card for the @(domain) into the Blacklist and set the Blacklist slider to -200. That will cause a double hit on the message.

Also there is another setting in Settings, Spam Tools, Spam Ratings to cause an auto delete on a user specified value set by the slider. Be careful with auto delete until you have properly trained the Bayesian engine and you are sure you fully understand the MWP valuation system. I would suggest that you enable display of the Total and Bayesian columns at least initially so that you can see how the scoring is being done. If you are curious about the Total number then select the message in the grid and enable the Side Panel to see the details. I run with the Side Panel enabled full time in the smaller option.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:51 am

I haven't tested the auto-delete function myself but now that you have your settings tweaked you could collect/send a set of logs and include a link to this topic in the comments and put chris in the ticket field and the firetrust forum guy could dig into the details. You can do that from the Help menu.

Post back when you have sent the logs so he'll know to go looking for them.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:40 pm

It shouldn't matter what score the filter is set to , auto-delete is auto-delete....

The big question would be, is the message that isn't automatically deleted being flagged by the language filter ? Perhaps the filter is simply missing the message ?
PhilRose
Student Sheep

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 am

Sorry for the slowness of reply. Been out of town. They are indeed being marked as 'Language'. It's all most mysterious!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 am

PhilRose wrote:Sorry for the slowness of reply. Been out of town. They are indeed being marked as 'Language'. It's all most mysterious!
I've come across a situation that will cause AutoDelete to fail, so we'll fix that up soon.
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 am

Is this the same problem as I reported in the beta forum?

Thread: Bug! v1.0.5 & v1.0.6 Inbox showing auto deleted emails
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 am

Yeah, most likley. I was screwing around with FirstAlert and noticed that if I loopback my FA lookups to my machine instead, AutoDeletes weren't firing.
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 am

Ah, that's why is stopped happening to me then as I turned off FA! :) Mystery solved :)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”