Voting with my wallet... uhm, No.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
RpD
Student Sheep

Voting with my wallet... uhm, No.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm not trolling or looking for flame war (I just agree with sabarnett ;)... however...

I just wanted to post because Firetrust 'reminded' me with an email... that I have less than 5 days to upgrade for $10 and get the extra copy (with annual subscription ...be honest, it's subscription software in the fullest sense... as in it stops working, if you don't continue to subscribe). I hope in the future if Firetrust ever drops the mandatory-annual-fee-or-stops-working position... that they will send me an email for the next version (prob'ly even pay the 'full' upgrade fee)... otherwise, no more reminders are needed (I guess I could 'unsubscribe' ;).

So, I'll use 6.54, as everyone says I can if I don't like it ... (MWP2010) ...and wonder at what point it will stop working, as I get the impression that -no- resources will be used to keep it going at least, if not updated (I didn't say upgraded).

I've used plain MWP for a long time, going along just fine... then someone wanted to shackle me ... (and the entire user-base, whether we say 'moo' or not giving that milk). Other product vendors have 'grandfathered' their early users, Firetrust chose not to. I say me too... I choose not to... subscribe. Other vendors let -me- decide when I want to upgrade, when I want to pay a fee... and they don't terminate my software until I do pay (yes, mine... I paid for a "license" to run it, it's 'my' copy, it's my license... it's -not- my product to sell, repackage, etc, I don't 'own' it... let's not get semantic.). I paid for the use of it... not a rental of it. REMEMBER 654!

Ok... I usually eventually do update/upgrade the software I use... but I sure don't want all the software vendors putting me on automatic pay plans. I have enough utilities in my life... software will never be one of them... just as music is never going to be a utility for me... the music industry has pretty much dropped that idea (subscriptions). I'm not sure I know of any other consumer software that terminates functionality if not paid annually (functionality, I said, in total... not updates/upgrade service) Commercial software yes, and their support agreements... that's business, and they gotta pay to continue to play... and that vendor's product better contribute solidly to the bottom line, or it's dropped. For consumers, anything that forces a regular, periodic, pay-or-terminate service... is as a utility... and an auto-paid utility is a parasitic drain directly on my wallet... an un-wanted hand in my pocket... an invasion of my... right! So I object... and my wallet looks sick at the thought... I keep having to work harder to just to keep it healthy... with everyone else wanting a regular incoming cash flow for what they sell. Not everyone gets a 'streaming' cashflow... some just have to sell, sell, sell... and increase their user base. (A 'guaranteed' revenue streams helps finance other projects though.)

I'll stop now... that's my vote and I'm sticking to it. Phpthpthtpththttttt. :P
Good luck with your commercial MWP2010 venture.
When 654 stops, I'll look for another email screener... as that is what I use MWP for (along with Thunderbird)... not bouncing, not FirstAlerting, not round-the-clock filtered access to the mail and just the mail, ma'am, with powers far beyond 'common' users... they that must fund ever-vigilant research through rain, sleet, snow and dark of night.

REMEMBER 654!

]:-}
(lock)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”