Slow start up

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Slow start up

Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm

I am running Mailwasher 2011 1.0.67 on windows 7 64bit with all windows updates. 6gb ram & 2.8 quad core CPU. I have noticed that mailwasher is taking longer to open up when first started after computer is switched on. I have disabled the start mailwasher when windows starts. Any ideas on how to speed up the initial mailwasher start up? Once closed and restarted it opens up quickly.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Slow start up

Mon May 02, 2011 7:17 pm

In settings select "optimize MW startup" that will pre-load some of the .Net stuff MW needs.

(you are doing the first one here now) Don't start MW with windows, wait a moment for the networking/firewall/av stuff to settle out and then start it or use a delay program to start it once things are ready.

Update to the latest beta at the top of this forum 1.1.2 or something, it will start a lot faster.

Sadly the stuff MW needs to be able to run takes a bit to load so the first startup will be a bit slower than others, with the beta the first shutdown will be slower too but then all later shutdowns will be a lot faster.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll try "optimize MW startup" and see what difference this makes.
hal2k2
Mystified Moa

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:54 pm

stan_qaz wrote:In settings select "optimize MW startup" that will pre-load some of the .Net stuff MW needs.

(you are doing the first one here now) Don't start MW with windows, wait a moment for the networking/firewall/av stuff to settle out and then start it or use a delay program to start it once things are ready.

Update to the latest beta at the top of this forum 1.1.2 or something, it will start a lot faster.

Sadly the stuff MW needs to be able to run takes a bit to load so the first startup will be a bit slower than others, with the beta the first shutdown will be slower too but then all later shutdowns will be a lot faster.

Hello
It would appear that you are the go to person when it comes to "slow startup" :) I too am having Mailwasher 2011 1.0.67 load very slowly (specially over previous versions) I cant find "optimize" under settings, also looked for the latest beta but no joy there either.

Thanks in advance

Hal
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Been so long since I've seen '67 I'm not sure exactly where it was but I think it was here:
startup.png
startup.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
This screenshot is from a beta later than 1.1.2 so it isn't showing, I believe the option went away when they switched to a single executable. If you look in your startup folder and see a "mailwasher preloader" then you have the optimization option enabled. I think it is now only set by the installer and not controllable from within MW.

The old '67 has had so many improvements made in getting to 1.1.2 that 1.1.2 is a very different program, the change list is quite long. I'd not bother trying to make '67 work any faster as it is using the older two-program design and just won't go fast, 1.1.2 is a single program and far faster. The next release due once a few nasty bugs are zapped will have a bunch of new features and speed improvements and is based on the 1.1.2 design, not the old '67 stuff.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
hal2k2
Mystified Moa

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks ... I did see the beta (finally) but it too appears to be slow to start ... it has been aprox 25 min since reboot and it is still not up ... and yes the MailWasher PreLoader.exe is present should I be using that exe instead of MailWasherPro.exe?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:40 pm

hal2k2 wrote: it has been aprox 25 min since reboot and it is still not up ...

I'd suggest setting your Startup to 'none' (refer to Stan's screenshot, above) and then running MWP (through it's shortcut) manually after Windows has finished booting up completely.

Do let us know how you get along.

hal2k2 wrote: and yes the MailWasher PreLoader.exe is present should I be using that exe instead of MailWasherPro.exe?

LOL no, better leave that alone. :D
MWP 7 (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (ßeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (ßeta) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s, U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.8)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 am

The preloader is just that, it won't do anything that you can see, it does make a few seconds improvement in MW start times.

Startup times on a decent computer should be in the 30 second range with 1.1.2 less than double that with 1.0.67, on a newer computer about half that time is normal. With a 25 second startup time using '67 there are a whole bunch of possibilities that aren't worth exploring as they go away in 1.1.2. In 1.1.2 if you aren't trying to start MW with Windows, your security software isn't being a problem and your .Net framework is installed and working properly you shouldn't be seeing anything like this 25 minute stuff.

Switch to 1.1.2, tell your security software to leave MW alone, both net and disk scanning, let Windows boot and your network come up, start MW. If it takes more than a couple minutes, wait for it to start, go to help, send support logs. Include a link to this topic and use chris as the ticket number to direct it to the forum guy.
--
hal2k2
Mystified Moa

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks for all the info stan and fire!!

I did try the settings suggested by Stan and when and the start up was faster.

I opened task mgr at computer start up and it showed the preloader running ... when it closed (per task mgr) I clicked on the quick launch icon and it opened rather quickly (30 sec or less).

This is more acceptable, but not up to my expectations, as I would like it to open on windows start up as I am used to.

Hopefully there will be a solution and I and others can use the program as we did in the past. Due to my long term usage and success with previous Mailwasher versions I will try and be patient until a solution is reached.

I will also try the "none" setting suggested by "Fire"

BTW ... I was able to find the beta version and was running it when I posted the above results.

Thanks again !!!

Hal
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

You might find using a batch file to sleep for 5 or 10 seconds at startup and then launch MW would work for you. Trying to fix the Windows startup mess is a challenge for experts who have many hours to devote to fixing Windows, I quit that game long ago and now just look for ways to get what I want done in spite of Windows quirks.
--
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:51 am

One of the issues regarding the start-up relates to the availability of web access on your system. I know that my WAN access on the LT occurs significantly late in the boot up sequence. If access is not available the MWP cannont start and even then it will be in contention with all of the other things that use it on system start.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 am

Another solution is to use a third party start-up scheduler such as:

http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show ... /page/news

This allows you to manage the sequence and timing of application starts.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
hal2k2
Mystified Moa

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am

Sidewinder wrote:Another solution is to use a third party start-up scheduler such as:

http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show ... /page/news

This allows you to manage the sequence and timing of application starts.
Thanks Sidewinder will give it a go !!!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”