IOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod - MailWasher Beta test

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Re: IOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod - MailWasher Beta test

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 am

With regard to accessing the Clear message list option —
nick.bolton wrote:. . . not sure how we'd get the user to action it as it's always been a keyboard command.
On my Samasung Galaxy S3, presently in MailWasher Mobile clicking on the Menu button (lower left of phone) does nothing. Would it be possible to make a menu list for that button and add Clear message list as one of the items? Perhaps that method would make it possible to add other MW Pro keyboard commands as well. Mark for bounce is still very helpful in getting my accounts off spam lists, although you've said before that you don't think so these days. Is it possible to bonce via the MW Mobile server?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am

I can't see that menu on one of these Android test devices we have (Google Nexus), so we'd rather not create custom things for each phone. We'd rather create a generic way of doing it for all phones and platforms. At the moment there's no bouncing, it's all still very light on features.
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am

nick.bolton wrote:I can't see that menu on one of these Android test devices we have (Google Nexus), so we'd rather not create custom things for each phone. We'd rather create a generic way of doing it for all phones and platforms.
There's a reason you can't see a Menu button. My Samsung Galaxy S3 seems to be a hybrid, having one physical button and a semi-physical button on either side. I guess, ddespite being the "state of the art" in other aspects, it's a legacy device with the older dedicated keys.

The solution that might work for you is summed up in a blog posted on 26 January 2012

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/ ... utton.html

There's more to read in the blog itself, with a section on how to include the old menu items for legacy devices. However, I feel copying in what I have from the blog below is already too much for a forum post. I apologize for that. I also apologize if you've already gone over this stuff.

Say Goodbye to the Menu Button

[This post is by Scott Main, lead tech writer for developer.android.com. — Tim Bray]

Before Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), all Android-powered devices included a dedicated Menu button. As a developer, you could use the Menu button to display whatever options were relevant to the user, often using the activity’s built-in options menu. Honeycomb removed the reliance on physical buttons, and introduced the ActionBar class as the standard solution to make actions from the user options immediately visible and quick to invoke. In order to provide the most intuitive and consistent user experience in your apps, you should migrate your designs away from using the Menu button and toward using the action bar. This isn’t a new concept — the action bar pattern has been around on Android even before Honeycomb. As Ice Cream Sandwich rolls out to more devices, it’s important that you begin to migrate your designs to the action bar in order to promote a consistent Android user experience.

You might worry that it’s too much work to begin using the action bar, because you need to support versions of Android older than Honeycomb. However, it’s quite simple for most apps because you can continue to support the Menu button on pre-Honeycomb devices, but also provide the action bar on newer devices with only a few lines of code changes.

If I had to put this whole post into one sentence, it’d be: Set targetSdkVersion to 14 and, if you use the options menu, surface a few actions in the action bar with showAsAction="ifRoom".

Don’t call it a menu

Not only should your apps stop relying on the hardware Menu button, but you should stop thinking about your activities using a “menu button” at all. Your activities should provide buttons for important user actions directly in the action bar (or elsewhere on screen). Those that can’t fit in the action bar end up in the action overflow . . .

Even if your app is built to support versions of Android older than 3.0 (in which apps traditionally use the options menu panel to display user options/actions), when it runs on Android 3.0 and beyond, there’s no Menu button. The button that appears in the system/navigation bar represents the action overflow for legacy apps, which reveals actions and user options that have “overflowed off the screen.”

This might seem like splitting hairs over terminology, but the name action overflow promotes a different way of thinking. Instead of thinking about a menu that serves as a catch-all for various user options, you should think more about which user options you want to display on the screen as actions. Those that don't need to be on the screen can overflow off the screen. Users can reveal the overflow and other options by touching an overflow button that appears alongside the on-screen action buttons.

Migrating to the action bar

If you have activities that use the options menu (they implement onCreateOptionsMenu()), then once the legacy overflow button disappears from the system/navigation bar (because you’ve set targetSdkVersion to 14), you need to provide an alternative means for the user to access the activity’s actions and other options. Fortunately, the system provides such a means by default: the action bar.

Add showAsAction="ifRoom" to the <item> elements representing the activity’s most important actions to show them in the action bar when space is available. For help deciding how to prioritize which actions should appear in the action bar, see Android Design’s Action Bar guide.
http://developer.android.com/design/pat ... onbar.html

To further provide a consistent user experience in the action bar, we suggest that you use action icons designed by the Android UX Team where appropriate. The available icons support common user actions such as Refresh, Delete, Attach, Star, Share and more, and are designed for the light and dark Holo themes; they’re available on the Android Design downloads page.

If these icons don’t accommodate your needs and you need to create your own, you should follow the Iconography design guide.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks for that, I'll run it past the ui designer. As I mentioned, it would be nice to have a unified solution which looks the same across different devices. Another thing is that we're going to change the 'Check Mail' button to an account switcher so that will switch the view which is another way of clearing the screen.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm

We were planning on getting this next release out yesterday, but only really finished everything up yesterday afternoon. This is the sync accounts with Mailwasher Pro 2012, and quite a few other usability improvements, but we'd like to test them more. We're actually going to have to release all this a week later because one of the main developers will be away next week so we'll continue to work on other improvements instead with a release on Monday 8th October.

Nick
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 pm

nick.bolton wrote:We were planning on getting this next release out yesterday, but only really finished everything up yesterday afternoon. This is the sync accounts with Mailwasher Pro 2012, and quite a few other usability improvements, but we'd like to test them more. We're actually going to have to release all this a week later because one of the main developers will be away next week so we'll continue to work on other improvements instead with a release on Monday 8th October.

Nick
Thanks Nick I've put an entry on my calendar :)
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Loving 0.5 :) Synced with MWP 1.21.0. Though most of my accounts are IMAP and or SSL so I cannot test properly until these are included.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Good to hear. We'll switch on SSL soon, just wanted to make sure there were no gremlins in the system first.
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:52 pm

nick.bolton wrote:Good to hear. We'll switch on SSL soon, just wanted to make sure there were no gremlins in the system first.
Great news I use GMail as my prime email and once I can use that I can then get more email through the system for testing :)
jpmarch
Student Sheep

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi,

I just found that MW Beta 0.0.5 doesn't install on my iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0)

i.e. installation begins normally but fails after a few seconds (w/ an intall fail message)

Is the 0.0.5 version compatible w/ my iDevice ??

Jean-Paul

Note : install. OK on both my other 2 devices (iPad 2 & iPhone 4 both iOS 5.1.1)
daveadams
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 am

Hi all,

Just back from hols, thanks Nick for releasing the 0.05 update (not really) as I lost this great app and went back to 100+ spams per day which I had to re delete when I got home, bugger hehe.

Now have 0.05 installed on iPhone 4 IOS 6.0, and looking great and love the synch capability which is working well for me, cant wait for synch on spam lists and hopefully soon an auto delete synch as I use that extensively on Pro.

I am still not sure if auto checking is functioning either Nick. it will be great if we can leave the app running in background and the app icon indicates you have mail waiting. On that note I did notice that when checking all the accounts you now get mails waiting in the accounts display now which is moving towards that functionality.

On the whole all working great for me at the moment.

Dave
iPhone 5S IOS 8.1.2 (Not Jailbroken)
Samsung Galaxy Tab2, Android Version 4.0.4
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Laptop
Mail Washer Pro 2012 7.4.1
Mail Washer Mobile 2.0.0
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 am

Howdy Nick,

The new version became available while I was on holiday, and I had decided to travel light, taking only my cell phone with me. I had no problem downloading and installing the new version, and it looks and works fine. However, not having access to my Pro version, I had to wait 'til I returned home before I could try to sync my accounts.

Now that I am home and have access to my Pro version, I can find no way to sync my addresses and all from my Pro account. The only option I have in the mobile version is to add accounts manually via Settings — Manage e-mail accounts. There are only two other options under Settings; Spam Tools and Display & Notifications. Am I missing something?

When I set up a log-in account account, I tried to enter the same e-mail address and password that I have for my Firetrust account, but I misskeyed on the tiny keypad of my cell phone and created a new account with the correct e-mail address but a warped password and a new user name which was also warped from what I tried to type. Is that perhaps preventing me from syncing up my accounts? There is no way to enter my mobile MW account and change the log-in parameters via my cell phone. Is there a way to do so via on-line?

Thanks for getting the new version out so fast.

Tony
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 am

@Tony - the sync option requires that you have V1.21 for your DT. You will find a tick box for each account there that says Include this account for syncing.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 am

@ jpmarch - If it's the install which is failing (what was the error message?) then did you send me your UDID? This is needed as we have to add it to the .mobileprovisions file. It's an Apple requirement while beta testing. See here how to get your UDID and then send it to me at nick.bolton@firetrust.com http://www.innerfence.com/howto/find-ip ... ifier-udid

@ davedams - Thanks. We haven't added in notifications yet but we will do soon. Should have a new version on Monday with SSL as we got that working this week.

@ Tony, as Sidewinder mentioned, you'll need this version to sync accounts - http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... 102012.exe
At the moment we don't have the admin tools to alter your account details but we'll do it pretty soon. In the meantime just create another account with a random email address and we can fix that up later as the email address is only used for retrieving your password at the moment.
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Howdy Nick,
Tony, as Sidewinder mentioned, you'll need this version to sync accounts . . .
I had MailWasher set up to check for updates every 15 days. I missed that update. After installing it, I ticked the boxes to include seven accounts for syncing, then used the mangled User Name and Password I had created with the mobile app to sync those accounts to my mobile. Upon opening the new mobile beta on my cell phone, I found all of those seven accounts synced properly and listing what e-mail was still available in each account. Cool! Thanks.
At the moment we don't have the admin tools to alter your account details but we'll do it pretty soon.
I look forward to that, but will survive well 'til then. The new beta features work nicely!

Tony

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”