IOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod - MailWasher Beta test

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

IOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod - MailWasher Beta test

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Thank you for your interest in testing MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad). These instructions relate to IOS, and soon we'll release an Android version after a few touch ups to it.

If you're keen to help us test and give us feedback, then we look forward to having you help us.

Just a few notes:
  • This is early beta software, so things may not work as you expect and lots of features won't be present.
  • Please give us as much feedback as you can. Criticisms are welcome and at this early stage we expect things to change, so please comment on things you like, things you don't like, the usability, design, general usage and of course anything which doesn't work as expected.
  • We'll release a version of MailWasher Pro 2012 with syncing in due course, so things like accounts, friends and blacklists will sync. At the moment you'll just have to enter your details manually.
  • Limits: Only 1 (one) POP3 account is supported at the moment. SSL and TLS are not supported yet. There is no recycle bin yet (deleted emails are gone). Only the most recent 20 emails are shown while we try to estimate load etc, and mail checks are done on a 3 minute interval. We just want to get the general usage of the app right before adding stuff.
  • This is a hosted application and uses HTML to display everything, and is then wrapped up to look like an app.

Ready to test?

We need your devices unique ID (UDID) from your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad
There's some good instructions below on how to get this

http://www.innerfence.com/howto/find-ip ... ifier-udid

After you send us the UDID, we'll add it to Apple's developer portal, notify you and then you can install the app.

How to install the app
  1. Download [Download coming soon after we get a few UDID's]
  • Unzip the file. There should be two files inside: a file ending with “.ipa” and a file ending with “.mobileprovision”.
  • Drag-and-drop the .mobileprovision file and the .ipa file onto Applications in your iTunes library on Windows, or the iTunes icon on a Mac
  • In iTunes, select your device and open the Applications tab. Sync applications and the new app should be checked.
  • Sync your device and try out the app!

How to give Feedback

We've got a couple of different areas for feedback.
  • We'll invite you to Trello.com, a free service for giving feedback and ideas. You'll also get insight in to what we're working on feature wise.
  • This forum :thumbsup
optodata
Student Sheep

Re: IOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod - MailWasher Beta test

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

This sounds exciting! I'd also like to request that a Windows phone app be considered when you guys get a chance :bow
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 pm

optodata wrote:This sounds exciting! I'd also like to request that a Windows phone app be considered when you guys get a chance :bow
Assuming you're running Mango or later, then a working Windows Phone version is possible now, but it wouldn't have any of the nice Windows Phone touches, bug fixes and plenty of polish would be required...

We're seeing this with the iOS versus Android. We've made several tweaks to the iOS version so we can get that up and running to a point we're happy with, then the next iteration will have the same various tweaks needed for the Android UI...and so on...all the core features are in the cloud, so it's simpler UI tweaks and gimmicks that need tinkering...

At least that's my understanding ....I'm technostupid when it comes to mobile devices :mrgreen:
Maciek
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am

First problem - during instalation in last step (Sync your device) I've got error message on my iPhone:
"Error during installation of MailWasher". I've repeat it 3 or 4 times. After it I've copied ones again files to my iTunes and made installation succesfully.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 am

Just making sure you have these correct files.

a). iPhone: http://cdn.firetrust.com/apps/mailwashe ... iPhone.zip
b). iPad: http://cdn.firetrust.com/apps/mailwashe ... r_iPad.zip

And you put the .mobileprovision file on the device as well.

Here's some alternate instructions which should help

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ad-hoc-iPhone-OS-Apps
guicaut
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:43 pm

hello Firetrust,

just installed Mailwasher for ios, great appz...althought a problem
each time i open MailWasher it shows the emails of previous check, i can't refresh it, so if i check mails for 3 times, my good emails shows 3 times on the screen.

Can you fix?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Ok, we haven't come across this before. We will have a new version out on Friday which fixes a lot of issues, so it would be good to know if it fixes this issue. Can I ask what email provider you're using?
waiwhite
Student Sheep

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 am

G'day,

It took a couple of attempts, but it did get installed. At first it would go almost all the way through installing and then tll me there was an error.

It is very early days, and it does check the mail, however it does not seem to be able to refresh things. I have deleted or received the mail on my laptop, but cannot clear the list on my iPhone. About the only way is to mark it for deletion and then Wash.

Also, on washing the mail it does not appear to do anything at the moment. Is this by design at the moment?

Anyhow, it is early days.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 am

waiwhite wrote:G'day,

It took a couple of attempts, but it did get installed. At first it would go almost all the way through installing and then tll me there was an error.

It is very early days, and it does check the mail, however it does not seem to be able to refresh things. I have deleted or received the mail on my laptop, but cannot clear the list on my iPhone. About the only way is to mark it for deletion and then Wash.

Yeah the refresh issue ought to be part of Fridays fix.
waiwhite wrote:Also, on washing the mail it does not appear to do anything at the moment. Is this by design at the moment?

You mean MailWasher isn't deleting the emails ?
guicaut
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:39 am

hello nick,

I'm living in Belgium and i use Telenet.

will there be a button like 'refresh' or so?
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 am

guicaut wrote:hello Firetrust,

just installed Mailwasher for ios, great appz...althought a problem
each time i open MailWasher it shows the emails of previous check, i can't refresh it, so if i check mails for 3 times, my good emails shows 3 times on the screen.

Can you fix?
I see this occasionally. I also note that some (not all) emails cleared using my email client aren't cleared when I get new emails in the MailWasher app. I've not been able to identify a pattern. Some cleared, others haven't. I believe that the time lag between deletes using the email client and MM has be noted elsewhere. I see this on deletes from both my PC client and the iPad Mail app. I assume the ISP is deleting when it gets a delete request from either Agent or Mail since neither will reload the previously deleted email as new.
Carl Heinz
Windows XP Pro SP3+, Fortè Agent, iPad Air, MailWasher Beta Tester
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 am

The timing between email being deleted and how it's being shown is because at the moment it's just checking every 3 minutes in the background. So the Check mail button won't go and force a new check in the background, only bring in new email after the 3 minute check. It's clear we'll have to change this soon so a check mail does actually go and check the mail.
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Will this resolve the issue of messages not being cleared from the MWM display after they've been deleted by the email client and a get headers is done in MWM?
Carl Heinz
Windows XP Pro SP3+, Fortè Agent, iPad Air, MailWasher Beta Tester
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 am

Yes, sorry we were going to release a version yesterday with all these fixes but time got away on us fixing things up, we've now got it all working so we'll release it on Monday.

One thing which won't be in there is a forced mail check when you hit the check mail button (at the moment it checks in the background every 3 minutes), but we're working on that next and will release an update accordingly. Then we'll start adding features, check multiple accounts etc
waiwhite
Student Sheep

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43 am

rusticdog wrote:
waiwhite wrote:Also, on washing the mail it does not appear to do anything at the moment. Is this by design at the moment?

You mean MailWasher isn't deleting the emails ?
Once you mark individual messages for deletion, then those are deleted when you wash, but the e-mail app is not called. After you download the messages by manually, the next time you check for mail, it still remembers the mail it had originally downloaded. You end up having to mark the old message for deletion and pick the wash button.

Once a message appears in the list, this is the only way to remove it.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”