MailWasher Android version, testing results

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: MailWasher Android version, testing results

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:34 am

Ok thanks for letting me know. I was just playing around with it here and couldn't replicate what you saw. Do let me know if it happens again
diogenes
Active Albatross

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, that didn't last long. I have only 9 emails, but they won't display. Something's broken somewhere.
I logged off, shut down my Nexus, removed and reinstalled the battery, and rebooted.
I also cleared the mail (except for the test account) using 6.5.4.

This time, the saved email in the mailwasher test account displays, so I guess you've done some work on that.
Things look normal again, however the links do not display property.

For html rendition, we should only see the link text, not the link itself. In the test email client, which you can see by going to http://xenodochy.org/webmail/ user mwandroidtest+xenodochy.org you can see three links and three blocked image placeholders.

MWM is displaying a part of the link. It looks like it tried to format the link as regular text, and made a mess of the link. But, the link is clickable.
--
Ralph E Kenyon Jr - Philosopher
Retired Navy, former IT consultant and programmer, now retired.
http://www.xenodochy.org
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks, I can see 4 emails in the test account so we'll look at this now and see what's going on. Report back soon
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 am

Ok, it's because the emails are in html only with lots of remote images, there's no plain text. We're only displaying plain text at the moment, but we'll look at stripping out any html tags (if there's no plain text) and displaying what's left - which will usually be gibberish spam, but at least you'll know :)
diogenes
Active Albatross

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:09 pm

There's 13 messages in the test account now.
I'm guessing that some of the stuff I'm seeing there is development-debug info - "widget container, widget startup runScript, etc. "

I'm still using 6.5.4 for my main MW. The preview seems to work pretty well in that version.
Can you adapt the display code from that version?
--
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:07 pm

No, that text if part of that email, none of our development stuff.

Yes 6.54 and the 2012 version both do a good conversion of the html to text, if plain text is not present, so we'll replicate that.
diogenes
Active Albatross

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 am

Here's what I'd like to see on the compact list - along with the corresponding functionality.
--
diogenes
Active Albatross

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am

Android Galaxy Nexus.
I've had a couple of more incidents in which the application refuses to open messages. It seems to happen after the display limit is reached. When it happens, deleting some emails by either wash, or by using an external program, does not restore the functionality. Logging out and logging back into mwm restores the functionality when the number of message is less than the display limit. It seems like some flag does not get unset.
--
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:09 pm

With regard to learning, at first we'll import your learning files from MW Pro, then just use them as the spam and good corpus. Actually training MWM on the server might take up a lot of resources though as they're individual to each user & account.

when you talk about the display limit, do you mean the number of emails displayed (25,50,75 or 100)?
eweforia
Student Sheep

Re: MailWasher Android version, testing results on Kindle Fi

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

I was able to side-load the Android .apk to my Kindle Fire (last year's model, not the new HD) and it was totally error-free and works fine. Here's what I did:

1. I saved the .apk file to my Dropbox account. Launched the mobile Dropbox,located and clicked the .apk, and it installed without incident.
2. I defined a username and password for Mailwasher (I used the same settings that I use to access MW on my desktop.)
3. Pressed Add Account to set up my POP account (my email is hosted on my domain host's server) on the mobile version.
4. Set the General, Incoming, and Advanced settings EXACTLY as the email account is defined on my desktop.
5. Clicked Save.

The app showed no emails on the server, which I knew was not the case. So I logged out of MW mobile and logged back in. The emails were there. I can preview them and delete them. I have no need to sync to my desktop MW, so I have not tested the sync feature.

Apparently MW mobile only checks mail when 1) the user logs into the MW account; or 2) at its predefined interval. It would be very helpful to have a Check Mail button right alongside the Wash Mail button (as the MW desktop has). This button would force a mail check, thereby allowing me to see the email list without having to wait for MW's scheduled check to refresh the list.

The user interface is clean and simple on the Kindle. I like that a lot. I was frankly amazed that it would load on the Kindle. So was Nick. And I had no problems loading or running the app. Well done!
SSTSylvain
Modérateur française

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 am

Then any news for MailWasher Android version = UserName login with 3 or more characters :?: :help

:idea: = if not anymore 3 characters is allowed, then i will use an other username login, inside MailWasher Android version.

Ok, ... testing the MailWasher Android version with an other username login.

Keep up on the good work, ... :thumbsup :bow :bow :thumbsup

P.S. Did some news from rusticdog :?:
SSTSylvain
Moderator, Translator, Beta Testor
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks eweforia, in the next version you'll be able to pull down the grid to check for new email.

@sst, sorry we decided for security purposes to keep the username at a minimum 4 characters.
SSTSylvain
Modérateur française

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 pm

nick.bolton wrote: @sst, sorry we decided for security purposes to keep the username at a minimum 4 characters.
Respond =

I try the user name like below, ...

I have enter my email and ********** and a password.

I can login only one time, then after the password dont work anymore.

How can i change the password ?

email used = *** @ *** . ***
Last edited by SSTSylvain on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SSTSylvain
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm

You can't change the password yet as we haven't built that in and it's all encrypted so we don't know what it is. So we'll have to delete the user account, so you can create a new one and sync again. Ok to delete your username?
SSTSylvain
Modérateur française

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:27 pm

nick.bolton wrote:You can't change the password yet as we haven't built that in and it's all encrypted so we don't know what it is. So we'll have to delete the user account, so you can create a new one and sync again. Ok to delete your username?
Delete "**********" username = Only inside MailWasher Android version.

Thanks in advance, ...

Did the username = "**********" in the MailWasher Android version login is case sensitive ?

Please note, to add an other password security rectangle when creating the user id. = it mean for the moment i only enter the password in a rectangle without a second password confirmation.
Last edited by SSTSylvain on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSTSylvain

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”