Version 1.2 notification question

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Version 1.2 notification question

Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 am

In previous versions my phone did not ring me every time one of my accounts received a new e-mail. Now it does. Via the application manager, I unchecked "Show notifications", thinking that would stop the constant ringing. It did stop showing me notifications, but it did not stop the ringing. What I would really prefer is a way to shut off the audio notification and retain the visual notification.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Version 1.2 notification question

Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 am

IPad/IOS version has settings in device app notifications for both sound and visual.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 am

Double dang.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

For Android, depending on which version you have, notifications are handled in different ways. But it seems like the ability to turn off 'Show Notifications' is the only thing you can do related to an app - there's nothing there related to sounds which seems like a big short coming. If you go to Settings>>Sounds, then there's some options for sound notifications but it seems like a global settings, not just for an app.
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 am

I agree that the root problem is a major Android shortcoming. However, having the constant ringing is a major annoyance. My daughter is 22 and living in her first apartment while attending graduate school. I like to keep my cellphone by my bed at night so that I can hear if she calls with an emergency. Last night the cellphone kept ringing throughout what became a sleepless night. As I write this, the phone has rung two times announcing e-mail arrivals.

I like the notification concept. It's a feature I've wanted with MWM. But until some way to disable the ringing notification is available, I'd rather the Android version of MWM did not have this feature.

I'd post to Android about this shortcoming, but I'm not sure where to post, and if there was a resolution from Android, it would be a while (year?) down the road, as the latest version was just released (available on the new Samsung S4, among others.)
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 am

Chariott wrote:(..)

I like the notification concept. It's a feature I've wanted with MWM. But until some way to disable the ringing notification is available, I'd rather the Android version of MWM did not have this feature.
(..)
As a workaround, in your phone, you could go to settings>>sounds>>ringtone for notifications>> and choose "silent" there.. That way you'd disable all audible notifications, while still hearing a voice-call coming in.. Not very satisfactory, but always better than a sleepless night I'd say.
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sat May 11, 2013 2:29 am

racker wrote:That way you'd disable all audible notifications, while still hearing a voice-call coming in.
Thanks racker. I thought disabling audible notifications would disable voice mail notifications, as well. Same for phone calls, I take it. As a work around, I'll do that when I go to bed and undo it when I get up.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 am

We'll see what we can do about putting something in the app, as I'm sure it will annoy a lot of people
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun May 12, 2013 9:36 am

It seems that when the MWM icon pops up up in the notification bar and I pull down the menu and click on the MWM notification, that nothing happens. When other apps pop up an icon in the notification bar and I pull down the menu and click their icon, the other programs will open. I believe that when I have not removed MWM from the active list, clicking on the notification icon will open the app.I can't verify this today because I can't log into MWM this afternoon (U.S. East Coast time zone — still wicked early for you) Instead, I'm presented with a message with a red background that informs me that I'm using the wrong ID name or password, although I'm not. Did something get changed today?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Ok, we'll check the notification not opening the app problem. Nothing's been changed on our end otherwise, you should be able to login as usual (use the eye icon to show the password you're using is correct)
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun May 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Yeah, I like that eyeball thing.

If nothing's changed on your end, than something must have changed on my end, but I don't know what. I'm using the same log-in ID and password that I have been many times over the past few days, but I can't log in to the server. Moreover, since this afternoon, I'm no longer getting either rings or notification icons when new e-mail arrives at my e-mail accounts. Both were alerting me properly earlier.

I've rebooted my phone, hoping that that might reset MWM, but it didn't result in any change. MailWasher Pro works normally on my desktop computer. However, my desktop is hardwired into the modem. I rebooted the modem and tried wireless connections. Firefox loads pages fast and normally on my cellphone, and my girlfriend can access the Internet with her Nook normally, but I still can't log into the MW server.

Do I need to recreate my MW account?

If you can't recreate the notification not opening the app problem at your end, perhaps it is specific to MWM on my cell phone.

Tony
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Sun May 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Notifications are working normally again. I just got woken up from a rather fun dream, aside from the crazed serial killer and his followers who considered me their main target. I should mind what I watch on TV before falling asleep. Whatever glitch that was seems to have taken care of itself.

But I still can't log in.

Tony
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Sorry, we had a problem with one of the servers and have fixed it now (always in the weekend). So you should be able to login now
Chariott
Travelling Tuatara

Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 am

I can log in! Thanks.

Tony
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

A bit late here, but I have finally got so frustrated that I thought it worth reporting back.

The latest incarnation is unusable for me.

My Nexus 7 throws up the usual Android alerts. But clicking the alert does not wake up MW. If I start the app, it demands that I login. Every time.

Has it always been like that?

If the app can check my mail, why do I need to login?
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”