Washing Mail not working?

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
EldorG
Student Sheep

Washing Mail not working?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:14 am

I've long been frustrated with the Mailwasher App in terms of mail actually being deleted from the server. I guess I'm so used to the "real" Mailwasher app and how terrific it is. The Mailwasher IOS app APPEARS to NOT delete emails marked for deletion until some (LONG) time in the future. Usually half an hour or so. And to my way of working, that's simply not good enough. Hence the frustration.

I like to take a look at the mails waiting for me using Mailwasher, mark those which I want to delete (and I typically get over 100 emails thanks to a security server at work). I then fire up my Mail program and have to deal with those (what I had deleted already through Mailwasher) emails. I simply cannot operate on the IOS device as I am used to doing on the PC.

My understanding is that delete requests get sent back to Mailwasher servers and that only every 20 minutes or so the email deletion requests are actually sent to my own mail server. Frustrating... YES! So I can't preview and delete emails with the APP and then within a few minutes start my mail program and not have to deal with those same emails all over again.

Last night about 8pm local, I sat with my iPhone and the Mailwasher IOS app and deleted about 150 emails that had come to me from 6pm to 8pm. This morning on my PC, I find those SAME MESSAGES STILL THERE!!!! And using Mailwasher on the PC I can easily delete them. It's real frustrating to have to deal with messages over and over.

So I'm not seeing how the Mailwasher IOS app is actually useful. And I so much want it to be as useful as the PC version is.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Washing Mail not working?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 am

Let me come back to you tomorrow on this as I'll query the developers, it should delete emails instantly so there must be something else going on. Do you know what mail server software you're using?
EldorG
Student Sheep

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks for replying, Nick.

You mean that the IOS version of MailWasher is supposed to delete emails instantly??? From the server??? Ever since its introduction, it hasn't worked that way for me. It's usually taken about 30 minutes or so until that happened. And I'm sure that I read somewhere here that "some" delay was usual because the delete requests were queued on one of YOUR servers before being sent out at intervals. It's just gotten really frustrating for me as I end up checking my mail more often than before on my iPhone.

No, I'm sorry, I don't know what mail server software is being used. But it is not OUR software, as our web is hosted on a commercial site in Toronto called Myhosting.com.

Using Mailwasher I also pick up some mail from videotron.ca, with the same result... the PC version of Mailwasher deletes emails from the server instantly, but the IOS version takes a LOOONNNNG time.

Thanks for looking into this.

Eldor
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks Eldor, I just tried it here and it definitely deletes the emails instantly form the server for me. One thing you could try is to delete them in MWM and then pull down to check if they're still there. What happens on our servers is when you press 'Wash', it sends off the command to delete the emails, and we move them to the 'Trash' area. They'd be moved back to the inbox if the delete command is unsuccessful, but it doesn't explain why there's a 30 min delay. Will try and find out tomorrow.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 am

Can you check with your mail host and ask if they have any limits on checking mail, such as only allowing 5 instances of accessing the account every 15 minutes (Hotmail does this). If this is the case, then your mail server might be making you wait if you're over the allowed limits. Perhaps if you can turn off checking in MailWasher Pro while you try this.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Could this problem be related to exceeding the MWM mail stack? I seem to remember a limit of around 50 msgs.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

No, we don't have any limits like that. I just deleted 100 emails in a test account (need mark delete all button...) and they were removed pretty much instantly from the test account
EldorG
Student Sheep

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 am

There are no such limits. On my PC with MWP I can wash my emails and then instantly go to my mail program, check for mail and the washed emails are gone. No delay at all. And when I'm away from my office my PC is turned off and checking with MWM is the only checking I do. There's no other checking going on.

This issue with MWM bothers me most on weekends or when I'm traveling as then I have only my iPhone to check emails with. And since I can easily get 100-300 emails per day, it is real annoying to have to delete messages twice. First in MWM and then in my email program (The default Mail program on the iPhone).

My first hope is that we can figure out what is wrong and fix it, but I also hope/wish that you'd introduce the ability to "select all" emails in MWM (and then that we'd be able to deselect the few we might not want to wash). This would make it a lot easier to handle greater volumes of mail. (Of course the native mail program on the iPhone doesn't have a select all feature either.)

(In case you're curious about why I get so many emails... I have video security cameras in my business and if there is any motion detected outside of our opening hours the cameras send me screen captures of what is going on. Usually there is nothing but often my manager or foreman go in to get something done and once I know it's them I can delete the entire batch of emails knowing it's nothing to worry about.)

Also, I don't know if it's related or not, but often if I check for mail with MWM it'll bring down SOME emails and I have to keep swiping my finger down the screen over and over in order to get all of them. And when I finally have washed those I want to delete, I open my mail program and have to do it all over again as those emails were still on the server. SIGH

nick.bolton wrote:Can you check with your mail host and ask if they have any limits on checking mail, such as only allowing 5 instances of accessing the account every 15 minutes (Hotmail does this). If this is the case, then your mail server might be making you wait if you're over the allowed limits. Perhaps if you can turn off checking in MailWasher Pro while you try this.
EldorG
Student Sheep

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 am

Nick,

Yesterday and this morning I used MWM on my iPhone to mark and then wash a whole bunch of emails... about 150 of them. And was frustrated when I launched Mail on the iPhone afterwards and found them STILL on the server. So not only did I delete them using MWM, but had to do so again in Mail.

Now I've gone to my office (our weekend is Sunday and Monday) to to catch up on a few things without being disturbed and I started up my PC and MWP. And found that the emails I had DELETED yesterday and this morning were STILL being brought down from the server. MWP made it easy though to both mark them ALL quickly and unmark those I wanted to keep and then to wash (and successfully remove) them from the server.

This is really frustrating and annoying and it's hard to believe that the issue hasn't been reported to you in the past. MWP works PERFECTLY but MWM doesn't seem to work reliably for me at all.

What information could I possibly give you to help get this resolved?
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:08 am

Have you cross checked the detailed account setting in MWM for your account(s) e.g. ports etc.? Use your PC as a source.
Also maybe you can provide Nick via PM/Email with your Outgoing Server Settings to verify that all is good on the server side.

@Nick with this volume of messages is it possible that the users Wash requests are colliding with the FT servers polling for new messages?
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

One other thought. Is it possible that your Wash requests are conflicting with other phone activity e.g. Mail checks, web activity and creating contention for connection resources? Or something in your phone service provider?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

The only thing we can think of is that another process is blocking it because it's also accessing the pop account at the same time. If you try and do a 'Wash' then wait 5-10 seconds, then pull down the grid to refresh, so the emails re-appear? If so, then the 'Wash' was not successful. We don't have any automation in there yet, so that it keeps re-trying if the 'Wash' fails.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Would it be possible for you to set me up a test account with your email provider so I can see if we can replicate the problem here? Most email providers let you setup multiple free email accounts. You can send the details to me at nick.bolton@firetrust.com

Thanks
EldorG
Student Sheep

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:04 am

You may have hit on something there, Sidewinder. Where exactly does one find the OUTGOING server settings for MWM?? All I see is the settings for INcoming. And in my case, the Outgoing settings ARE different from the Incoming ones. (They need to be.)

This could be the cause of my problems.

Sidewinder wrote:Have you cross checked the detailed account setting in MWM for your account(s) e.g. ports etc.? Use your PC as a source.
Also maybe you can provide Nick via PM/Email with your Outgoing Server Settings to verify that all is good on the server side.

@Nick with this volume of messages is it possible that the users Wash requests are colliding with the FT servers polling for new messages?
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 am

EldorG wrote:You may have hit on something there, Sidewinder. Where exactly does one find the OUTGOING server settings for MWM?? All I see is the settings for INcoming. And in my case, the Outgoing settings ARE different from the Incoming ones. (They need to be.)

This could be the cause of my problems.

Sidewinder wrote:Have you cross checked the detailed account setting in MWM for your account(s) e.g. ports etc.? Use your PC as a source.

They are not visible in MWM but my guess is that FT has them on their server side. Rather than post them here (public forum) I suggest that you send them to Nick when your respond to his request by EMail.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”