Unable to contact server

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Unable to contact server

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:39 pm

For the last week or so I have had an occasional message saying that MW was 'unable to contact server'. As of yesterday morning, this has become a permanent error.

I receive notifications that MW has email, I open the UI and no emails are shown. I refresh the screen, it sits there for a while with the spinner showing and then I get a red bar saying 'Unable to contact server'. In the past refreshing again several times may, occasionally, have gotten my email displayed, but not any more.

I have tormented the iPad off and on, logged out and back in and have deleted MW and re downloaded. No change.

Using an iPad 4 with iOS 7.0.4 and version 1.4 of the app.

I'm able to receive my email in the mail app without trouble and can send email Ok. My browser is fine, so I must have access to the internet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Unable to contact server

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:11 am

We've run in to some scaling issues which seem to be intermittent, hopefully we'll have these fixed tomorrow. Annoying these happen on the weekend!
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 am

No problem, thanks for the quick reply.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:36 pm

This should be working all ok now.

You may need to stop the app, then restart it. Press home button twice then swipe the MW screen upwards. Then restart it
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Sorry, still not working. I closed MW and restarted it, but still get the spinner for a long time then unable to contact server.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Odd, can you also try and restart your phone. It looks like it's cached and serving up old content
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm

nick.bolton wrote:Odd, can you also try and restart your phone. It looks like it's cached and serving up old content
Closed and restarted the app, no difference,
Powered the iPad off and on, no difference.
Reset the iPad, no difference.
Cleared the Safari cache (No idea why I did that), closed the app, turned the iPad off/on again, no difference.

The content of the screen has changed from yesterday, but it's still wildly out of date and not updating.

FWIW, I have to email accounts. Only one is showing on mail screen and I cannot switch to "All Accounts". Pressing the button does nothing (I assume its trying to contact the server at this point too).

Steve
CharlesN
Student Sheep

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Just to add,

I did make a separate post.

I also am still having the problems.

There is no change.

I have removed and reinstalled the app.
Reset the cache
Done both a soft and hard reset.

No difference was noticed with doing any of the above.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 pm

@ sabarnett, I've deleted your Mailwasher account now, so you'll need to set it up again. Sorry, it's very odd that's its doing this and I did have trouble deleting it so there might have been some issue with the database there.

@ CharlesN, can you send me your email address or username for MW Mobile and I'll delete it so you can start again. Send it to nick.bolton@firetrust.com or send me a private message via this forum.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 pm

I have re-setup my account and added my email details again. Still no joy. I saw one email, which is correct, but have been unable to get any more email since then. It's just sitting there with the spinner and saying "syncing mail..."

As I had added two email accounts, I deleted one of them, so I only have one defined, but it's just sitting there.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Ok, I"m seeing this now too. Let us have a look at what's going on
stmiranda
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:20 am

Both my wife and I are having the same issue as of this post. Seems to be the norm as of late. Android 4.3 on the Galaxy S3. Though this has been happening quite often even before the 4.3 update. I also noted that Mobile and Desktop never agree on new email. I have to refresh the MWM multiple times. Even after I physically delete the email from the server, MWM still thinks it's there.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:03 am

Yes, we've run in to some capacity problems. Once we work these out we should be back to normal today. We're actually rewriting the app at the moment so it will be faster. The reason you see the delay between the mobile and desktop versions is the mobile version only checks every 15 minutes, except when you're using it, then it checks every 3 minutes.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 am

Looks like the server is dead in the water again. Not just a delay.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 am

Yes, the database is overloaded which causes other things to slow down, still working on it!

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”