Unable to contact server

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Unable to contact server

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Ok, we're back up and running. Basically we made some speed gains last week which shifted some problems elsewhere, so we're still working on getting things more efficient.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:59 am

While not wishing to seem picky (ok, I'm going to be very picky), you may be "back up and running", but I still can 't get to my email on mobile. I still get the "unable to contact server" error. In fact, if anything, it's got worse as I no longer get the push notifications either.

This may be a massively stupid question, but why is it so dependent on one of your servers? Can't it interrogate the mail servers I defined on the iPad directly, just as desktop MW and the mail app on the pad do?

Sorry
Steve
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:42 am

Yes, sorry it fell over again last night. We know where the problem is, so we're working on fixing this issue. We went down the hosted route because it would be more battery efficient to have the processing away from the mobile, plus we can make a version which easily works across all platforms.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:00 am

That's the problem with this web thing. It'll never catch on, you know.
nasus65
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I am having the same issue - just installed app today on my iPhone and not getting anywhere. Unable to contact server is all I get too. It is sitting there almost laughing at me saying "syncing mail" :shock:
I thought maybe it didn't like my wifi, so I turned that off. Uninstalled app and reinstalled - still no luck - tried SSL - hmmmm nope.

Good luck getting it sorted - would love to be able to use this program as I do on my pc. Hate my junk mail and being a business - NEEEEEEEEED mailwasher!! oh and :help
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Ok, we've had some server problems over the last 4-5 days as you all know - something we added to make it more responsive ended up causing overload. It's working properly now, although it will only check for new messages when you pull down to refresh, but we'll add back auto checking tomorrow. You might need to restart your app
CharlesN
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Hello again.

I am using an iPad.

I stopped the app.

I did this by closing the app.

I restarted my iPad also .. hard reset.

I still get the unable to connect to server red bar when starting up the app .. the red bar at the top.

:-(

Regards,

Charles.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Yep, not working again :( Still investigating why it happens at this time each day
CharlesN
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Possible answer as to the time of day .....

Its 09:31 here ..

I just had breakfast.

Bacon and eggs accompanied by loads of coffee ....

Perhaps its objection to that. :-)

Good luck.

Please don't think my messages are complaining at you our the service ... they are NOT complaints ... just comments.

I am NOT mad at you.

Again, Regards,

Charles.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Ha, no I don't think it's that. Well, it's pretty frustrating for us as it's not how we want things to run at all. It will be fixed - sometime soon
CharlesN
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi again Nick,

An idea for you.

Several years ago I was on a shared server at my provider.

I found that my website went down at around 9pm every night and would not recover properly for several hours usually around 12 to 18 hours at a a time.

In the end my provider discovered that the server was fine but one of the people on the server was overdoing it .. he was sending many many thousands of messages every night ... All spam .. all trying to sell various enhancement tablets etc.

This was overloading the server to such an extent that others on the servers were being affected.

Once my provider removed the culprit everything worked perfectly again immediately.

Are you on a shared server ?

This website is running very slowly today also ..... Posting a message (Like this one) seems to take around 3 mins to be accepted. Could this possibly all be connected ?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:57 pm

No, we're all dedicated servers - shared servers are fine if you want to something small for cheap. This particular server is pretty big with 16GB Ram and lots of processing power - we have a PostgreSQL database which is slowing things down on it because of something we've done and due to load which we're not handling correctly, and we have another MySQL database on there for website and forums which is having a hard time running anything because the the PostgreSQL database is taking up all the resources. Need to shift the website etc on to its own server....
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 am

Having just found this board (only a recent new user of MW Mobile though a long-time user of MW Pro), I am delighted to discover that it is not a problem on my Nexus tablet which is causing the message "Unable to contact the server" to appear for most of the past three days. At first I wondered whether an Android update (to 4.4.2) had caused the problem but then realised it had started before that update was installed.
gerohl
Active Albatross

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:25 am

I have the same problem no contact with the server for a week now.
nasus65
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:50 pm

iPhone 5s here and like emmrecs (long time user of MWP new to MWM) i have not had any connection. Great to see that you guys are on top of it. Hope it gets sorted, I get heaps of "crap" emails from my website.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”