MailWasher Mobile 2.0.0.beta 4 - Windows Phone 8+

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Re: MailWasher Mobile 2.0.0.beta 4 - Windows Phone 8/8.1

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 am

nick.bolton wrote:We're working on a replacement for the current MW Pro so it's cross platform, Windows, Mac and Linux but we don't have any plans for XBox or a Windows Store App, although we could always wrap the current mobile version up as an app (since it's just a browser window)
Hi Nick, a little backstory here....I'm a refugee from SpamCop. As you may have heard, they're shutting down their integrated reporting webmail component at the end of the month. One of the longtime users suggested your Mailwasher Pro app as an alternative that would help keep my spam-free life simple. I am Mac-based, so, #1 I'm looking for an ETA or a beta for my platform, and #2 curious about the product in that I wonder does it just trash the spam or log it in a spam-fighting database (a blocklist or blacklist) to evolve filters and/or nip spam accounts and hosters in the bud. For 14 years, I've felt my reporting helped keep spam in check. I'm hoping your work will allow me to continue to do that. Let me know, please! Thanks! --Doc.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: MailWasher Mobile 2.0.0.beta 4 - Windows Phone 8+

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

Oh that's a bummer. Was the noise more than it should have been?

Hopefully we'll get MWM out this week/tomorrow. Had to do a bunch more stuff...
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 am

I think CESMail, the webmail half of the Spamcop alliance was having a hell of a time keeping things running smoothly, and their more and more frequent bouts of unscheduled downtime went without regular updates, which enraged the Spamcop community. The SC connection surely quadrupled the pressure and SC probably tired of the hassle and the criticism more than any DoS attacks it ever endured. In any event, the way they talked about in personal emails to me and others left me to extrapolate that they might use this divestiture as an excuse to get out of the biz entirely. I have to say, it was probably pretty thankless from the inside looking out.

Now, that said...you said you're hoping to get MWM out this week. That's the mobile app, right? I'm really looking for something for home, work and travel computers. I'm in the film biz and spend ungodly amounts of time between them and often across the country (like Burbank-Brooklyn) and as little time as I can on tiny-screened phones. Will what I'll call MWP be included in your cross-platform next week estimation? Also do tell me about how you deal with spam databases if you would. Email me if you like: filmgraphics {at} tedhaigh {period} com . Thanks! --Doc.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

Hi, I'll keep it on the forum so everyone can see. We're shifting to Amazon, so hopefully we'll be able to better manage fluctuations in usage and reduce downtime. MWM is Mailwasher Mobile, and we'll get the public beta out this week - it's a new version completely rewritten. We'll get MW Pro out for beta testing too. Hopefully if all goes well then we'll be able to release to the public soon. Spam databases? - Yes we use ours and several external ones to recognize spam
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for being so graciously communicative with me, Nick. As regards the DBs, it's how I said it in the my first posted message....I want to help! I hate just seeing spam deleted, I want to REPORT it just to make spammers' lives just that teensy bit harder. Can I help?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm

We found in the past that user submitted spam was really inaccurate - someones spam is someone elses legitimate email, and we had people to comb through the submissions but even they still mis-classified emails, so we've since gone with spam honeypots - email addresses which harvest spam via spambots etc.

The best way to hit spammers is to hit their websites where people buy stuff from them. I remember years ago, I think it was Lycos, came up with an free anti-spam screensaver. So they would take the URL's from spammers emails and upload them to their screensaver. When the screensaver came on, it would effectively connect to the spammers website. Enough people do this and the website becomes unresponsive from too much traffic. Spammers didn't like this so they did the same to Lyco's website and took down half of Canada's internet as a warning. So it didn't last for long. It's not a bad idea, but if you did come up with such a software tool, the website you're delivering it from would soon be hacked/DDOS'd by the spammers
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 pm

nick.bolton wrote:Oh that's a bummer. Was the noise more than it should have been?

Hopefully we'll get MWM out this week/tomorrow. Had to do a bunch more stuff...
The noise was very loud, the SP3 was in the loft extension and left idle, I was one floor lower and could here the fan, it sounded like someone with a vacuum, this noise happens whilst watching video or playing simple games. I might get an iPad air or wait to see about thev12.9" iPads next year.

Great to hear another update is due :thumbsup
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: MailWasher Mobile 2.0.0.beta 4 - Windows Phone 8/8.1

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 am

drcocktail wrote:
nick.bolton wrote:We're working on a replacement for the current MW Pro so it's cross platform, Windows, Mac and Linux but we don't have any plans for XBox or a Windows Store App, although we could always wrap the current mobile version up as an app (since it's just a browser window)
Hi Nick, a little backstory here....I'm a refugee from SpamCop. As you may have heard, they're shutting down their integrated reporting webmail component at the end of the month. One of the longtime users suggested your Mailwasher Pro app as an alternative that would help keep my spam-free life simple. I am Mac-based, so, #1 I'm looking for an ETA or a beta for my platform, and #2 curious about the product in that I wonder does it just trash the spam or log it in a spam-fighting database (a blocklist or blacklist) to evolve filters and/or nip spam accounts and hosters in the bud. For 14 years, I've felt my reporting helped keep spam in check. I'm hoping your work will allow me to continue to do that. Let me know, please! Thanks! --Doc.
Hey Doc,

Just a side note to what you and Nick have been discussing but I too am on a Mac (MacBookPro) and am successfully running MWP inside Parallels VM w/ Win7. MWP calls Outlook for Mac 2011 (my mail client) just fine too from w/in Win7. I know it's not the same as what you're wanting/doing but just thought I'd chime in and give you something "different" to think about. All that said though, I agree it'll be even nicer when there's a native Mac version of MWP. Best wishes.
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:04 am

nick.bolton wrote:Hi, I'll keep it on the forum so everyone can see. [...] We'll get MW Pro out for beta testing too. Hopefully if all goes well then we'll be able to release to the public soon.
OK, for all to see.....everyone (including SpamCop mainstays) says MailWasher is The Goods. They say you've designed it beautifully, made it efficient, and used the same spam-filtering DBs as SC, plus more, plus the ability for end users to ADD more. I'm convinced, but....please don't make me use an OS overlay to access its wonders from my three Macs (home, work, travel.) I stand ready to alpha beta zeta test for you! Trust me...guinea pigs mistake me as one of their own! Send me a build! I will be ever responsive!

Thanky, Ted
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:18 am

Sure Ted, we're making it cross platform so it will be native to the Mac, Linux and Windows. So what you get on one, you get on the other.
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Perfect, utopian future! So web based I presume?

SpamCop loses its mail component three weeks hence. Just sayin'.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Yes I heard Spamcop was duming their email facility - probably a lot of work to run.

Yes, MW will be a browser wrapped up to look like an application, using the Chome Embedded Framework.
drcocktail
Mystified Moa

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 am

I am REALLY excited!
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 pm

So, any news on the new update?

BTW as I have issued you with my iPad UUID (for the iOS MWP beta) does that give access to iOS betas? I know it's a bit late for iOS 8 but it would be useful for the future.
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Hopefully we have it tomorrow.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to access the IOS 8 betas, I've just had a look and there's nothing in the developer area about IOS 8, they do mention it but it's just the SDK

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”