How does MWM work with the iPhone mail client?

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
metar28
Mystified Moa

How does MWM work with the iPhone mail client?

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 am

I am confused about how to use the MWM app. I have our company's email account (that is getting bombarded with spam daily) set up to use in MWM. I also have our company's email account set up on our iPhone email client. In fact, that's how I know if we even have email because we get an alert on the Apple Mail icon. So, when I see this, I open the MWM app and check for new mail. Sure enough, I see the spam, tag it as such and then wash the mail. At this point I'm thinking once I've done that step, the mail should be gone both in MWM and in the iPhone Mail client. But it's not! So, what is the purpose of using the MWM app if I have to go into the iPhone Mail client and delete those same spam messages again? I'm just confused on how to use the product. Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps the idea is that MWM will eventually learn over time to start filtering the spam on it's own and it will never reach the iPhone Mail client. That's kind of why we bought the program.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: How does MWM work with the iPhone mail client?

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:08 pm

You need to turn off the automatic checking in the iPhone email app. Let MWM check the mail, you mark the mail appropriately and the Wash the mail. Be sure to turn on Notifications for MWM so that you will know when new mail comes in.
As soon as the Wash completes in MWM then you can go to your iPhone mail app and initiate a Check and you should only see the good msgs.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
metar28
Mystified Moa

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 am

Thank you so much!!!!
metar28
Mystified Moa

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:29 am

Okay, sounds great in theory, but maybe I missed a setting. I turned off Push and Fetch for the company account in the iPhone mail client. Set it to Manual. Turned on notifications in MWM. Sent 2 test emails over 5 minutes ago. No notifications from MWM yet indicating I have new mail and when I do a manual sync, the emails still don't appear. Is there an automatic push feature that has to be enabled in MWM that perhaps I haven't turned on? Or, maybe it just takes awhile for the mail to show up? I already received notification from the Mail Washer PC version within 1-2 minutes of sending the test messages. Which brings me to another question.... can you run the PC version and MWM simultaneously or does the mail only download from the server on one or the other platforms but not both? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get everything working right. Thank you again.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 am

It actually checks your mail in the background every 3 minutes while you're using it, otherwise it checks every 15 minutes in the background but speeds up the more you use it. You can run the PC and mobile versions at the same time, it's just checking mail on the server and it stays there until you download it properly in to your email program.
sophist
Mystified Moa

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 am

I think this is related but will post as a separate topic if needed. I do NOT want to sync when I am on MWM (on an iPhone or other mobile device). If I set up MWM without a Firetrust Login, will that disable/block syncing? I am pretty sure it does, as I had some accounts in MWM before and as I recall, there was no syncing (MWPro had the emails appearing even if deleted in MWM). Thank you. Great product
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:54 am

Unfortunately you can't stop the mail client from syncing, as I'm guessing your account is setup as IMAP so it will automatically sync anyway. MWM is a separate program, so it doesn't have any influence over how the mail client works.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”