Disappointed

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
alanstancliff
Travelling Tuatara

Disappointed

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 pm

I just installed and am now uninstalling MW mobile. I have been a MW user for almost as long as it has been out, but the mobile version is quite disappointing.

I had to manually enter the password into the mobile app as cut-and-paste is disabled for some ungodly reason. Actually, I had the same problem when creating the mobile account on my desktop. Doing this is just a pain in the arse and doesn't enhance security.

When I went through the messages here, it gave me the impression that this is essentially a bad piece of abandonware.

IPlease put together a decent app for those of us who still have email accounts not on gmail or yahoo. Hell, I'd even pay for it, just as I have been doing for years with Mailwasher Pro.

Alan Stancliff
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Disappointed

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Sure Alan, yes it's a pretty basic app and we've been working on a replacement. I don't think copy/paste is disabled though as it's just a web view. You should be able to sync your settings from MailWasher Pro anyway. Settings>>Sync

Nick
alanstancliff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks Nick,
I was able to sync it and looked over the app. My impression: It's not ready for prime time.

By the way, on my Windows 7 PC, I was unable to paste the password to create the mobile account. I created the password in KeePass, and I had to drag and drop it. This was not an option in the iOS version. I could paste my email address but not the password. Check it out, and you'll see what I mean. It was a hassle for me to manually enter the password because I don't see well and have a movement disorder.

Are you actually working on an iOS app? It's hard for me to believe it's on a to-do list, as the last version seems to have been released in 2015. Just to satisfy my curiosity, is any effort being expended on this? It would be very useful, but as is, I have to agree with the rest of the reviews in the App Store.

Alan Stancliff
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 pm

You're right, it's really basic. At the time there was a bit of uncertainty about building apps - whether to develop as a Web based app, or go Native. We went with a Web based app and with the email being hosted, thinking that web technology would catch up. Hasn't quite worked out that way, and since it's hosted, it's quite slow whereas if all the processing happened on the device then it would be much faster. So making a native app would have been the best option

We've since made a native Android email client with built in Encryption, and we'll integrate MailWasher in to that soon. Then you have MailWasher integrated in to the email client. It's coming out of beta soon - just adding the help to it. We wanted to do the Android version first as it was the most difficult and we can model the IOS version off that.
sabarnett
Active Albatross

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pm

FWIW, I use the mobile app a lot. I don’t believe it’s ever going to replace the desktop app, but it does most of what I want. I like that it’s a separate app and I can see enough of the incoming email to make a decision to delete or not. I struggle mostly with server outages (it’s down right now), so making an native app would be so much better.

I’ve been hoping for an app based, maybe, on Flutter, so one source to create Android and iOS.

The majority of my email doesn’t get as far as my desktop any more. The combination of MailWasher and the mobile email app means I can discard a high percentage of the trivia I get every day.
zeker
Student Sheep

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:29 am

nick.bolton wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 pm
You're right, it's really basic. At the time there was a bit of uncertainty about building apps - whether to develop as a Web based app, or go Native. We went with a Web based app and with the email being hosted, thinking that web technology would catch up. Hasn't quite worked out that way, and since it's hosted, it's quite slow whereas if all the processing happened on the device then it would be much faster. So making a native app would have been the best option

We've since made a native Android email client with built in Encryption, and we'll integrate MailWasher in to that soon. Then you have MailWasher integrated in to the email client. It's coming out of beta soon - just adding the help to it. We wanted to do the Android version first as it was the most difficult and we can model the IOS version off that.
Nick, will this mean we won't be able to use mobile MW with our own email client? I use Aquamail and cannot give that up.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”