Wireguard

Mitsubishi
Rattled Rabbit

Wireguard

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 am

Hi
I have read recently of this new 'faster' vpn called wireguard which is still in development.
Will you be incorporating this in the 'new' Hideaway?

Please see link
https://www.wireguard.com/
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Wireguard

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:25 am

Hi there

Yes, we've heard of Wireguard but for now it's only on Linux. Actually the way we've been developing HideAway is pretty similar to Wireguard and they're about the same speeds because we're both not using the OpenVPN or other old methods. Plus the encryption is the same. Also, we'll have lots of features wireguard doesn't.
VLM
Mystified Moa

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm

This is the first I'm hearing OpenVPN described as an old method. Would you be willing to comment further?

Also, would you be willing to mention some of the features you've incorporated but that are not available in Wireguard?

Thanks!
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Ha, good catch. I should have said 'existing'. It's been around for a while and very well adopted.

One of the features we've done but are not yet in the user interface is
1. Create rules to filter by application, port, iP address, dns. This is pretty useful if for example you want to redirect your PC to another country, but leave Gmail in your home country as Gmail usually complains about being in a different location. You can redirect, ignore or block any application, port, IP, dns.

Then we have other differences.
2. Roaming, so you're always connected if you change connections (wifi, ethernet etc and country), although I don't know if Wireguard does this or not. Plus connections are instant.
3. We do a few things different in terms of connection speeds, and more efficiently in a few ways which I won't go in to. We used to have an old version of Hideaway which did things connection wise between PC and server and destination the same as Wireguard but we changed it because it wasn't that efficient.
4. Wireguard sends everything over UDP, we use TCP and UDP.
5. We can pack a lot of people in to a cheap cloud server without any loss of performance. It's mostly memory based, and CPU hits about 3% usage. I haven't looked at how Wireguard performs.
6. We have a Windows version, although we've built it to run on Linux and Mac - just haven't connected the drivers for them.

Return to “HideAway”