Can't Watch ITV Hub

gmusgrave
Student Sheep

Can't Watch ITV Hub

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:02 am

I was able to watch several episodes on ITV Hub, then it failed because it believed (correctly) that I wasn't in the UK. Yes, I had it set to "Watch UK TV (BBC, iPlayer, etc.)."

After clearing cookies, and logging out then logging in again, it worked for two more episodes, then failed agian.

Now, during the last two days, after multiple tries at various times, I cannot watch anything.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Can't Watch ITV Hub

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 am

Hi

We use multiple servers for this, so when you reconnect, it might have chosen a server which is being blocked. We'll take a look!
gmusgrave
Student Sheep

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:49 am

Any joy with this issue?

As of yesterday evening, it still doesn't work.

Thanks,
Garry
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm

Hi Garry,

Does the message say "Sorry we've detected that you're outside of the UK' or "Oops, it looks like there's a problem'. Please refresh your page ... ? If it's the latter I might be able to help :D

The 'Watch UK TV' option works for me on both Google Chrome and Firefox

PG
Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!
gmusgrave
Student Sheep

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 pm

Yes, it's the "Oops, it looks like there's a problem'. Please refresh your page" error.

Any help would be much appreciated!
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:06 pm

OK hope this helps!

This workaround does take some patience and doesn't work if I use the Refresh link in the error message but does if I use the normal browser refresh. Just keep refreshing that way until you get PLAY instead of the OOPS message. It may work after just a few times or it may take up to 20 which is why I say patience is needed but I always get it to work eventually :D

There is another topic on this here from late last year where I suggested doing this and it seemed to work for the OP too.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=42230&p=146901&hilit=ITV#p146901

And if you need an ad blocker then the Chrome extension ITV Slayer is very good!

Good luck, PG :D
And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!
g6radio
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Poundgirl ::

ITVSlayer is a Chrome extension by kurt.culley. It had 2,000+ weekly active users and an average rating of 4.68 before it was removed from Chrome Web Store a month ago. ITVSlayer is similar to Anti Adblock Detector and DealFinder by VoucherCodes. The last published version was 1.1, updated 3 years ago.

This extension was removed from Chrome Web Store on 2022-07-10

from this page

https://chrome-stats.com/d/lijlpfohaafb ... dmmlkgpgkd
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 pm

So I guess that means you can no longer install it which is a shame but luckily I already have it and it still works just fine! The only difference now is I have to turn it on before I watch ITV as it turns off whenever I shut down the PC :D

Dealfinder is voucher codes for shopping online though it's not an adblocker

PG
gmusgrave
Student Sheep

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:03 am

poundgirl::

Thank you so much for this!

This worked.

I did have to refresh my browser (Firefox 103) several times, but I got it to play. It stopped after two goes, but, after a few more refreshes, started working again! Brilliant!

Just out of interest, because I'm the sort who likes to know how things work, does anyone have any idea why this works?

What's happening here, and how does a browser refresh change it? Clearly, a browser refresh doesn't change your IP address, so what is going on "under the hood?" Does anyone know if this is a common ITV problem that also happens to people watching in the UK, or only to those using a VPN? Is it exclusive to those of us using Hideaway?

Once again, thank you for the solution!
gmusgrave
Student Sheep

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:05 am

nick.bolton::

It appears to be an ITV problem, and not a problem with HideAway. poungirl gave me a workaround, and I'm back to happily watching ITV Hub.

Please consider this issue closed!

Cheers,
Garry
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:24 am

Hi Garry,

Yay, glad it worked for you too but I have no idea why either .... just glad it does!

Cheers, PG
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 pm

If anyone wants to install the ITV Slayer ad block extension despite it having been removed from the Chrome Web Store last month there is still a way :D

Although I already have it, I downloaded the Zip file from this website https://chrome-stats.com/d/lijlpfohaaf ... mlkgpgkd and followed the instructions to install it on my spare laptop.

You do have to register to download the file and see the instructions which are:

How to install ITVSlayer from a ZIP file
Uncompress the ZIP file to a directory of your choice.
In Chrome browser, go to chrome://extensions
Enable Developer mode, then click on the Load Unpacked button.
Select the directory with the unpacked ZIP files from step 1. The extension is now installed on your browser.

It installs with a temporary error message saying ITV Slayer will only work till Jan 2023 but at least we have it for another 6 months.

Anyway this method worked fine for me ... actually it's better as I don't have to keep turning the extension on before watching a show which started happening with my already installed one after Google withdrew it for new downloads.

PG
g6radio
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Many thanks to Poundgirl...

This worked on a win 10 virtual machine and a laptop no problem

I will try another laptop when i can

I did not get the message about saying ""ITV Slayer will only work till Jan 2023 "" on either pc.

Amazing to get ITV to work without adverts

Thank you again
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:45 pm

You're welcome g6radio :D

It came up as an error link when I went to the Extensions page straight after installing to see if I needed to turn it on but had gone the next time I went to the page though.

January 2023: The Chrome browser will no longer run Manifest V2 extensions. Developers may no longer push updates to existing Manifest V2 extensions.

More info here:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/27/ ... xtensions/

PG

Return to “HideAway”