Hideaway not starting on Start Up

Andrew42
Active Albatross

Hideaway not starting on Start Up

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:03 pm

Hideaway has suddenly stopped working on Windows Start UP. It is checked to start. I unchecked it and rebooted with it unchecked, ran it manually and rechecked to run on start up. Still not working. Searched the forum, found that there might be issue with ESET. Checked my Quarantined files: No Hideaway. Thoughts? This is a brand new problem; never had it in years. Had a windows update yesterday. Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Hideaway not starting on Start Up

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:22 pm

Hi

This is a bit odd, let's blame the Windows update.

Could you add a short cut for HideAway to the Windows Startup folder?

Or, Right click on the HideAway shortcut in Startup folder and select to run as minimized.

Any of these help?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:08 am

Nick, a few points:-

1. I cannot finds Hideaway in either program Files or Program File (x86). Is this normal?
2. I do find it in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
3. I have it twice in Start Up: once in a Firetrust Folder and once as the shortcut you asked me to create.
4. I cannot find the option to run minimized but both are set to run with me as Administrator
5. None of this has made any difference. If I want Hideaway to run these days, I have to start it manually

Can you help?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:31 am

if you do have, "Run Hideaway when windows starts" enabled in Hideaway, yet it does not do this, the usual reason is that Hideaway is set to run as admin from either the shortcut in the startup folder, or the programs .exe file itself...

Locate and right click on these, click Properties, and ensure that nothing is ticked under the Compatibility tab.
If still no good, click Start, search for msconfig and click msconfig.exe.
Click the startup tab, and ensure that Hideaway is ticked (if there).

If still no good, it is odd that it is not working actually, as the setting is saved in the windows registry itself...

Unless you have some other program managing your startup programs possibly?

Or, some sort of registry cleaner you have running might have deleted it...?

If you cannot find anything, try reinstalling Hideaway first and see if that fixes it:

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/hi ... n/download

If still no good, can you please try this....

- uninstall Hideaway,
- restart your PC,
- reinstall Hideaway.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:12 am

Nick, I have tried the steps you suggest but I'm not sure I did them correctly. In any event the situation has not improved so I think in the next two day I will uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't fix it I will be more seriously considerg what I call th nuclear option and do a complete clean windows and system réinstallation. It is two years since I last did it and I have to dig out my road map and bring it up to date before embarking on the three to five hour operation. I'll stay in touch.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:45 am

Ok, yes I think the uninstall, restart and re-install should hopefully fix it.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Hideaway won't uninstall properly. Can you advise me how to do this manually. Bits of it have gone. Its not listed among my app but it still in the main area seen when pressing the windows key. It is also still in Users etc.
Thanks
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:58 pm

I went into the registry to look for Hideaway in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Uninstall. It was not there. I have, for the moment, simply reinstalled Hideaway over the top of whatever was left and with my Protection temporarily disabled. It appears to be working if I start it manually. Starting with Windows is till not working.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:23 am

Update: I uninstalled Hideaway using a third party uninstaller. On re-installation it runs on start up but as a short cut icon on my desk top and not as a Hidden icon. Is there a way to get it back to being a hidden icon?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:20 pm

Right click on it, then select Properties, then choose how it runs on startup?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:13 pm

I've done that but it makes no difference. Hideaway is not running on start up. When I start it via the Desktop shortcut that Hideaway installed it runs maximised and the icon appears in hidden icons. I intend to do a clean reinstallation of my PC within the next few days. If Hideaway does not behave properly after that, I will get back to you.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 pm

A total reinstallation of my PC cured the problem.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:20 pm

Yup. But it is a bore. Some years ago a tech advisor for a piece of software advised me to do a complete, clean reinstallation of my PC every six months to get rid of all the junk and extras that get installed with Updates etc. . I followed that for a while and then thought that with all the safety features I have installed and running including ESET, CCleaner and IOBit Advanced System Control that I was safe to let it go longer. Maybe I need to rethink this.

Return to “HideAway”