How to check if it works

argosmedia
Student Sheep

How to check if it works

Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 am

I wonder how I can check if this thing works. I installed it, added some rules, and don't see anything different. That is great in itself, but how can I check if I really am surfing anonymously, and check if my connection is encrypted?
Paul_K
Mystified Moa

Re: How to check if it works

Sat May 16, 2015 10:35 am

I'd like to know, too. I selected to "Redirect the Mozilla Firefox browser through a different country", but no matter what I do with the shield and encryption check mark the web site at grc.com (goto: Shields UP) still knows my IP address.
The location I chose to use is in Texas, but that's not happening when I use Firefox (I'm using Cyberfox for this post, while Hideaway is paused)
I have the Hideaway taskbar and tray icons showing, so I guess the redirect was supposed to be taking place.
Win 8.1 64-bit
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat May 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Shields Up should display the IP of the HideAway server you select, here's mine when redirecting through Egypt as per https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (20.31 KiB) Viewed 12086 times
Be sure that both Shield and Check marks are highlighted under My Rules.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat May 16, 2015 4:03 pm

I should have added too, there is a Traffic screen in HideAway that shows your net traffic and what's being filtered etc..
However we removed it in the recent version due to some issues that needed to be corrected, but it's coming back in our next version.
Paul_K
Mystified Moa

Mon May 18, 2015 1:12 am

I got a Notification that my Rule was disabled because the location is unreachable.
Unfortunately, none of the locations that I tried is reachable - including the Cairo location.
The Rule always shows a single strike-through it, with an exclamation mark.

[Edit]:
Under SPEED:
All locations show "-" under the PING column
All locations show a result after clicking the "Download" button, with London showing the most at 1375 kb/s.
All locations show a result after clicking the "Upload" button, with Cairo showing the most at 390 kb/s

However, the Rule is still crossed-out and has an exclamation mark.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 18, 2015 2:31 am

Try under Settings and switch to TCP, otherwise try using port 80 and see if that's any better.
Paul_K
Mystified Moa

Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 am

rusticdog wrote:Try under Settings and switch to TCP, otherwise try using port 80 and see if that's any better.
For me, no combination of Protocol UDP | TCP ; Port 53 | 80 | 443 | 8080 makes any difference. The Rule stays disabled because "the location is not reachable".
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 18, 2015 2:24 pm

OK, try clicking the Location icon beside the rule to edit location >> Save. Maybe it just needs a kick.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 pm

I must be doing something wrong. I have the trial version.

I have set up three pre-set rules to see how everything works.

If I highlight the tick mark against a rule it immediately is lined out and an exclamation mark appears. So highlighting the tick boy turns the rule off? Seem counter intuitive.

Similarly for the Shield and encryption? Highlighting means turning it off?

One of my rules is to send all internet traffic through London, yet when I run Rusticdogs link http://www.grc.com it shows me to be in Switzerland which is correct: that's where I am.

I have tried it both ways with the rule ticked and unticked. No difference. I have also rebooted my machine after each change to see if that made a difference. It did not.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 25, 2015 11:01 pm

If I highlight the tick mark against a rule it immediately is lined out and an exclamation mark appears. So highlighting the tick boy turns the rule off? Seem counter intuitive.
When you activate the rule, it checks to see if it can ping the server, if that fail the rule gets disabled, which is what you're seeing. So it seems like something is blocking that, or the ping is failing..

A couple of hours ago I posted a new version that does improve this process, so if you installed HideAway prior to that, then give this one a try
http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 005#p96005
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue May 26, 2015 6:09 pm

I have downloaded the update as suggested and all seems now to be working: Thank you. In settings it has changed from TCP to UDP.

I will keep adding rules as I work out how best to use this.

Off thread: It is a pity you do not offer a family subscription.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Great, glad to hear it.

With regards to the licensing, it's $5 more for another machine if that's what you mean ?
http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/hi ... ed-vpn/buy

Suggestions always welcome as well :)
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed May 27, 2015 2:43 am

Thank you. I misread the "buy" page I thought the numbers were years of subscription not numbers of computers.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 27, 2015 4:00 am

Andrew42 wrote:Thank you. I misread the "buy" page I thought the numbers were years of subscription not numbers of computers.
OK great. It's a concurrent license too, so 2 machines can share a single license, just not at the same time as one goes into 'pause' mode.
Erik
Rattled Rabbit

Fri May 29, 2015 8:19 pm

rusticdog wrote:Shields Up should display the IP of the HideAway server you select ...
Yes it does but how come http://ipaddress.com still shows my local internet providers IP adress? (I'm using the payed for version)

Erik

Return to “HideAway”