Email Blocking

leebon
Mystified Moa

Email Blocking

Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 am

I use Thunderbird as my email client. With HideAway running I can not send email. I get an error msg saying authentication is required. When I shut HideAway down the same email sends as normal? What am I doing wrong? I can receive email with no problem. Thanks. Lee Gilmore
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Email Blocking

Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm

leebon wrote:I use Thunderbird as my email client. With HideAway running I can not send email. I get an error msg saying authentication is required. When I shut HideAway down the same email sends as normal? What am I doing wrong? I can receive email with no problem. Thanks. Lee Gilmore
Hi Lee

In HideAway what rule in particular are you using, are you redirecting your whole machine ?
leebon
Mystified Moa

Wed May 20, 2015 1:45 am

Among others I am using Block DNS leak via port 53 and redirect through Dallas, Texas. I just ran a "self test" by activating each of my rules one at a time leaving each previous rule on as I added my next one. The last rule I activated was Redirect all internet traffic through Dallas, Texas. It was at that point that my email would not send. I then turned that rule off leaving all others on and I could then send email. Even more interesting, I next tried Direct traffic through The Netherlands and could not send mail. Also, with either of these turned on my mail software Mailwasher could not check for mail and Thunderbird could not get mail. Something is not right with HideAway it would seem. Lee Gilmore
Last edited by leebon on Wed May 20, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 20, 2015 2:01 am

leebon wrote:Among others I am using Block DNS leak via port 53 and redirect through Dallas, Texas. Turning those off makes no difference. Only by shutting down HideAway entirely can I send Email. Lee Gilmore
OK, so if you have no rules enabled at all, you still cannot send email with HideAway running ?
leebon
Mystified Moa

Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 am

NO. I can send and receive email with all rules turned off but with HideAway running. It appears to work fine with any rule turned on except a rule that redirects all internet traffic to a different location; I.E. the examples I mentioned of trying to redirect all internet traffic through Dallas, TX or through The Netherlands. The same thing happens when I try to redirect all internet traffic through Germany. At least on my end, turning on any rule that directs all internet traffic through any other location will not let my email work correctly. Simply put, with any rule directing all traffic thru any location turned on, both Mailwasher and Thunderbird can not contact my email server which is roadrunner.com.
Lee Gilmore
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 am

leebon wrote:NO. I can send and receive email with all rules turned off but with HideAway running. It appears to work fine with any rule turned on except a rule that redirects all internet traffic to a different location; I.E. the examples I mentioned of trying to redirect all internet traffic through Dallas, TX or through The Netherlands. The same thing happens when I try to redirect all internet traffic through Germany. At least on my end, turning on any rule that directs all internet traffic through any other location will not let my email work correctly.
Lee Gilmore
Phew :)

So it sounds like the email provider might be blocking sending of mail when it's not from your IP address. I would first try and add a rule that has an exclude.
So if you go to My Rules >> Add New Rule >> Create New Rule >> give it a name and description, in the Application Process Name field, enter thunderbird.exe >> then click Advanced >> click the Spanner icon >> and where it says Redirect click the drop down and select Exclude.

That should get the emails back up when your HideAway rules are active.
leebon
Mystified Moa

Wed May 20, 2015 5:02 am

IT WORKED. I made an exclusion rule for both Thunderbird and Mail Washer and now both can communicate with the Roadrunner server.
Thanks for the help.
One other interesting point. When I direct all internet traffic through Dallas, Texas my connection speed stays the same as when all rules are off and when HideAway is off; i.e., 20 down and 2 up. This is the speed that I am suppose to get via Roadrunner. However when I direct all through The Netherlands my speed drops to 6 down and .7 up. This is also true with other foreign locations. Any particular reason why?

Thanks again for the help. Lee Gilmore
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed May 27, 2015 2:48 am

I have a problem with Gmail being downloaded in Outlook. Gmail has sent me a message about un unauthorised attempt to enter my account using my password. The IP address mentioned is the one that the server is using thanks to the redirect rule I have in Hydeaway. I have tried following the advice above using both Google.com, Google.exe and Outlook.exe. None works and I can only download my gmail emails in Outlook when Hideaway is not running.

Thoughts please.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 27, 2015 4:02 am

I would imagine Outlook is just outlook.exe
With it running, hit CTRL + ALT + ESC together to open Task Manager, check under Processes, you should see it listed there.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed May 27, 2015 4:33 am

Thanks. I did that and it is Outlook.exe. However when I write a rule using Outlook.exe*32, (How it shows in Task Manager), or just Outlook.exe and "Exclude" as the action, it does not allow Outlook to access my Gmail account. The only way I can access my Gmail account through Outlook is to disconnect Hideaway. I do not know if I am writing the wrong rule or should be doing something else.

Nor can I access my Gmail account on the web whilst Hideaway is running.

I need somehow to solve this problem. Help please
leebon
Mystified Moa

Wed May 27, 2015 9:32 am

This latest update has messed up sending mail. I have Thunderbird exempted and have had no problem sending email with "all internet traffic ..." through any United States location. Now, with this latest change to HideAway, my email WILL NOT send through any of the U.S. locations. The same problem happens on my wife's computer. All foreign locations work with no problem. Something must have gone wrong with code updating for the change. PLEASE fix. Thanks. Lee Gilmore
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed May 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Andrew, do have the DNS rule enabled? It’s only relevant if you have a browser rule enabled, you don’t need it if redirecting your whole computer as there’s no dns leak for that.

That said, I've just tested it with outlook and gmail and didn't have any issues.

Can you make sure the process to exclude is outlook.exe and make sure it's in the process field, not domain. Do you also have email virus scanning turned on in your virus scanner?
You could try to exclude the email ports and see if that helps. Ports 993 to 995, and 465 to 587

Sorry, quite hard to fix if we can't replicate the problem here.

Lee, is this or gmail too?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks Nick for the response. I use ESET and it does cover my email. I turned that protection off and it made no difference. I also turned ESET off completely: no difference

The error message I get from Google in Outlook asks me to go to http://support.google.com/mail/accounts ... swer=78754 (Failure). That site tells me that my problem may be that I am trying to access Gmail from another country and suggests I set my security in Gmail at a lower level which I had already done. It also asks me to change my password which I am reluctant to do until I get this issue with HideAway resolved.

I have checked the rule I have written and I have attached a screen shot.

Please let me know if you need anything else and what the next step is for me to try and get this issue resolved which I need to go to continue using the software.
Attachments
Outlook Rule screen.jpg
Outlook Rule screen.jpg (282 KiB) Viewed 10898 times
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks Andrew

I can see it's a problem from our side. Exclusion rules should always take precedence over redirect rules, but in this case it's not. I setup a global rule to redirect my whole computer, and added outlook.exe as a separate exclude rule but I can see in the traffic screen that it's still being treated as a redirect rule. I'll talk to the programmers and get this sorted out asap, hopefully we can fix this server side so you won't need to update.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you for the update. I'll wait to hear from you before I do anything else.

Return to “HideAway”