BBC iPlayer problems

frankst237
Student Sheep

BBC iPlayer problems

Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 am

Hi, I installed Hideaway yesterday because it seems like a better package (more flexible) than another VPN that I have been using. I established a couple of simple rules using the 'standard' rules already built in - route all Google Chrome traffic through London and route Microsoft Outlook through London.

I am currently in France for a couple of months (my home is the UK) and I want to use BBC iPlayer (hence the routing through London). I am having trouble getting iPlayer to go forward from the programme listings page to the actual programme I want - there is no internet traffic being passed (I have a traffic meter on this laptop) and then sometimes it moves to the screen ready for watching or choosing to download. Out of 5 or 6 different programmes that I tried, only 2 would start to allow me to watch directly and none would start to download (for watching later).

This has happened yesterday and today. I switched Hideaway off and went back to my 'old' VPN (Hotspotshield Elite) and that worked fine allowing progress and downloading for later of anything.

Can anyone else check this out and either verify that there seems to be a problem OR help me to resolve the problem?

Thanks Frank
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: BBC iPlayer problems

Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Frank

Yeah I am seeing some issues via Chrome right now, oddly when I tried Internet Explorer I got a pretty stable connection.
Will ask the guys if they have any ideas what might be happening.

Thanks
Chris
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed May 20, 2015 7:29 am

Definitely something going wrong, we'll investigate and try to fix asap
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

The BBC iPlayer rule has now been updated, so if you restart HideAway it will update automatically. We're still not sure on performance, right now it's working like a champ, so there's a piece of the puzzle yet to be solved.
frankst237
Student Sheep

Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi rusticdog and Nick. Thanks for your help and input.

I tried again this morning just with the Chrome rule set on (to route data through London) and got the same result - I could watch some programmes streamed live but not download.

I then removed the Chrome rule and switched on the iPlayer rule - worked first time. Allowed viewing and downloading.

So, it looks like some form of conflict in rules / settings between the Chrome rule (to route all traffic through London) and the iPlayer rule. OR it is something in iPlayer itself that screws the Hideaway rules?

Genuine thanks again - setting up something like Hideaway for EVERY instance / combination of usage worldwide must be a real difficult issue so a few glitches when it gets out in the big world amongst all us end users can only be expected.

Frank
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed May 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks Frank,

You probably saw a conflict because we haven't added precedence/weighting to the rules yet, but we'll add that tomorrow and that should prevent any future conflicts between web browser rules, website rules and all computer rules.
frankst237
Student Sheep

Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 pm

OK - it looks like the latest version (1.2.0) has resolved the issues.
I just downloaded the new version and set up the same test that failed last week - route Google Chrome through USA and BBC iPlayer through London UK. Chrome works and iPlayer works within a Chrome window / tab - allows me to view streams and to download the programmes for later.

Thank you and well done Nick and the team - keep up the good work.

Regards, Frank
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Great, thanks for the update Frank.

Cheers
Chris
TBQ
It begins with a single step

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm currently "playing" with the trial version ... I just tried to Chromecast BBC iPlayer to my Samsung Smart TV and just got BBC iPlayer ready to cast ... having read the above ... is this related?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 am

No, the above bug wouldn't even show any picture. Can you cast any website so it changes when you browse websites?

Return to “HideAway”