Puzzling claim

genegold
Guardian Gecko

Puzzling claim

Wed May 27, 2015 3:10 pm

The FAQ says..."HideAway has been engineered with flexibility, speed and security in mind. With a VPN you're limited to connecting your entire computer to a single country, so your entire computer looks like its in another country so things like local harddrives, printers, security cameras stop working."

Say what - one country? no local HDD's, printers, etc.? I've subscribed to a very modest priced VPN for three or four years and haven't seen anything this passage claims.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Puzzling claim

Wed May 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Oh really? We've sometimes seen this with VPN's in the past.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Thu May 28, 2015 12:10 am

The way the FAQ put it makes it more than "sometimes."

Btw, how do you (or Hideaway) deal 1) a user's need for a stable limited set of IP addresses for use with a multihost provider, and 2) whitelisting email addresses? Those are both issues I needed to deal wtih (successfully) with my VPN provider.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 am

Ok thanks, I've altered it to "Some VPN's"

Can you clarify your questions a bit more?

Do you mean you want to have your own exclusive IP addresses? We have allowed for this, but it's not yet operation and we'll include it in the near future.

Whitelisting email addresses - At the moment we don't have any limitations over this, but we realize we will need to so as to avoid spammers (like allowing only 5 emails sent per minute for example). We don't want to limit ports either so for now everything will just work and anything we add in the future will not cause disruption to existing users.
You can also set up a rule to exclude any emails being sent through Hideaway such as by port, IP address or process.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 am

Nick,
I've been using a VPN provider for a few years. They have several server locations in the US as well as around the globe. For the purpose of using a multihost provider, I needed a set of stable IP addresses in one server location. It was the "dedicated server" problem: after awhile, the VPN provider kept adding IP addresses at their locations as they grew, a good thing, but the new set of IP addresses made downloading with with the multihost provider hit and miss, and completely out of my control. To deal with this, they were kind enough to set the config file for my preferred (closest) location to use a limited set of IP addresses (10 or 20). These I passed onto the multihost provider for config on their end and everyone was happy (as long as I key paying annually).

As for email, I use Fastmail primarily and noticed right off that the VPN was blocking it. As I recall, I asked and they whitelisted the addresses or whatever it's called.

One of the things you are presenting with Hideaway is flexible options in choosing what sites handle what. From my standpoint, that seems like a lot of work and things to remember, but to each their needs. The thing I've never figured out is how to use a VPN to access sites elsewhere in the world; not that I need it a lot with other avenues available, but they still always seem to be able to tell I'm not from there.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 am

Ok, now I understand. We don't offer that option yet, but it's a good idea and so we'll add it in to the list of things to do. I imagine a number of users would like to be able to connect to the same IP addresses for various reasons.

With Hideaway you can either redirect your entire computer, or setup rules to just redirect some websites and applications, and switching countries is pretty easy if you want to do that on the fly. And since it's always connected I can just go directly to those websites without having to connect/choose country.
In terms of accessing sites elsewhere in the world, it should be as simple as connecting to that country so I'm not sure how these sites can tell you're not unless there's some leaking.

Return to “HideAway”