Kaspersky and HideAway

rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Kaspersky and HideAway

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi folks

We've come across a conflict with Kaspersky AV (which I'll call KAV) which causes HideAway to crash after installation. The problem is that a feature within KAV prevents the network driver HideAway needs from being installed. I believe this feature is working as intended and that we just need our network adapter whitelisted by KAV.

The temporary solution until we hear back from Kaspersky, is to disable the Self Defence feature when installing AND uninstalling HideAway.
You can do this via Settings >> Additional >> Self Defence.

A second, but less desirable solution is to install AND uninstall HideAway via Safe Mode.

I cannot stress enough too that if anyone does this, you must ensure this feature is disabled in KAV when uninstalling HideAway otherwise you will have a loss of internet. The fix for this is after uninstalling HideAway, throwing your coffee at the screen, cursing a little, then calming down, is to go into Control Panel >> Device Manager >> under Network Adapters select any and press the Delete key >> answer Yes to the warning >> once removed then go Action >> Scan for hardware changes >> this will add your network adapter back.

Thanks
rd
wallywalters
It begins with a single step

Re: Kaspersky and HideAway

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Nope. Disabling self defence did NOT work. Thus- rendering one license worthless.
STILL No Fix?!!!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:16 pm

wallywalters wrote:Nope. Disabling self defence did NOT work. Thus- rendering one license worthless.
STILL No Fix?!!!
I'll be honest, I don't think Kaspersky have any real interest in fixing this up.

So with Self Defense disabled, and HideAway installed it's still crashing for you ? Have you rebooted the machine since installing HideAway, if not, try that first.
sparkyspark
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 am

Was going to buy 3 licence's for Hideaway untill I saw this thread as I use Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614. Is there any chance the Kaspersky issue will be fixed by Firetrust if Kaspersky seem uninterested?
Looked on the Kaspersky forum and searched Firetrust with no hits for Hideaway, and out of curiosity have any owners of Kaspersky contacted their support to report the issue other than Firetrust? :help

Saw this on another thread, "Good news is we're well on the way to version 2.0 of HideAway which uses a different device driver and which won't cause problems with Kaspersky (or more likely the other way around!)" is it still the case that this new driver will be the answer?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

sparkyspark wrote:Is there any chance the Kaspersky issue will be fixed by Firetrust if Kaspersky seem uninterested?
sparkyspark wrote:Saw this on another thread, "Good news is we're well on the way to version 2.0 of HideAway which uses a different device driver and which won't cause problems with Kaspersky (or more likely the other way around!)" is it still the case that this new driver will be the answer?
There's another build of HA 2 I'm expecting this week and I'll confirm if KIS gives it any trouble or not. It's looking good so far though from an earlier test.

sparkyspark wrote:Looked on the Kaspersky forum and searched Firetrust with no hits for Hideaway, and out of curiosity have any owners of Kaspersky contacted their support to report the issue other than Firetrust? :help
I believe so. The problem is breaking through that layer of support to reach their techs, in the end I had to escalate through other Kaspersky staff I happened to have the email address for.
sparkyspark
Student Sheep

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks rusticdog, be nice if you could update this thread about HA2 when it's finally working with KIS :thumbsup
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:44 pm

sparkyspark wrote:Thanks rusticdog, be nice if you could update this thread about HA2 when it's finally working with KIS :thumbsup
Yup, got it all setup and working without issue last night.

You're more than welcome to try HideAway 2.0 beta, though even beta is a little generous as you'll see in the screenshot I posted in the link, it's in a basic form right now.
That said, there's no licensing system in place yet, so it'll work without a purchase :mrgreen:

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 04#p104204
Phil_A
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 am

I've been thinking about Hideway for a while, and now have a real use for it; I'm in the UK and want to browse some USA websites to buy a present for a USA resident and have it delivered to the USA address. I assume Hideaway will overcome the problem that most USA shopfronts divert me back to their UK version, thus making it impossible to buy and have delivered as if I was in the US.

My question is, having read up this thread and being a KAV user, should I go for the beta 2 Hideway, or has the driver problem been fixed in the latest V1? I've actually downloaded the beta and will give it a try anyway :o
Phil_A
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:51 am

Woohoo that was easy, beta installed sweet and no KAV problems apparent. AND I'M IN AMERICA!! Thanks guys.
(Now let's see if I can buy something LOL).

Return to “HideAway”