HP Wireless Printer Issues

Andrew42
Active Albatross

HP Wireless Printer Issues

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:02 am

Since the last software update I am unable to run my HP wireless printer if HideAway is running. Please explain why this might be and what I should do about it. I have no idea how to write a rule for something like this.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: HP Wireless Printer Issues

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Any chance you can identify the IP address of your printer ? HA should be ignoring anything it considers local, accessing your router etc..and printers ought to fall into this, but seemingly HA wants to redirect printer traffic as well

https://www.iplocation.net/find-network-printer-ip
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:11 pm

The IP address is: 192.168.1.100

I never had this problem before I upgraded to the latest version 1.3.0
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for letting us know it's a difference between 1.20 and 1.30, so for now until we figure this out (we have some staff away ill), can you make a custom exclude rule.

Go to My Rules>>click the 'Add New Rule' button >> Click the 'Create New Rule' button >> Click the 'Advanced' button, then Add a rule name, click the spanner icon, then change the Action to 'Exclude' and enter the IP address 192.168.1.100 to both of the IP address fields. Click 'Save Filter', then 'Save Rule'.

That should get it working again.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Tried that but got into a catch 22. Because I cannot get HideAway to work at all - see my other post. I cannot add a new rule.

I have taken a screen print of the error message I got when I tried to add the rule. Maybe this will help.

When I get home later today I will add the rule as at Home I was able to connect HideAway. Then I will check with my home printer.
Attachments
Blocked.jpg
Blocked.jpg (160.29 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:55 am

I am happy to say the problem is a thing of the past. With the advent of v1.3.1, I can now run HideAway and print from both my HP wi-fi printers. Until then I had two options both of which worked, revert to 1.2 or stay with 1.3 and write an exclusion rule.

I've known the problem was resolved since yesterday but only today had the chance to test my home printer.

Thank you Nick and all who worked to solve the problem.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:09 pm

The problem is back again on my chalet printer which I had to reinstall. It will not print if HideAway is running. Worse, this time it still will not print with a rule excluding its IP address.

However, there are some odd things and maybe you can help.

If I go into printer server properties:

Under Port the printer is listed simply as its serial number - no IP address. (My home printer is listed with its IP address).

Under description in the same screen the chalet printer says "HP network re-discovery port monitor". (My home printer description is "Standard TCP/IP port").

Can you throw any light on this?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:29 pm

>> Regards the HP rediscovery network - this is what I found.

Generally, when you install an HP printer over a wireless connection, the software will automatically set the printer up on an HP Network Rediscovery Port. Basically this port is linked to the monitor so that it will sweep the network for your printer before sending out a print job (just incase the printer's IP address changes). Depending on your network this can be really helpful so that you're not having to reconfigure your printer any time your restart your router.

The Discovery Port Monitor is the portion of the software that actually searches the network for your printer. If you are planning on setting a manual IP address for you printer, and setting a Manual TCP/IP port to print directly to that IP address then you probably don't need that service running.

>>So my guess is the printers current IP address is still blocked by HideAway. Also, just to be sure you're using HideAway version 1.3.1 (we had some printer issues in a previous version).

>> I also found this

This sort of behavior usually means that the printer has been assigned a different IP address by your router's DHCP server and thus Windows, which is looking for the printer at the old IP address, doesn't know what to do.

Use your printer's front panel controls to view the printer's IP address (or use the printer's front panel controls to print out a network status page with that information).

Then go to Devices and Printers, right-click on the printer and select Properties.

Select the Ports tab.

Is the IP address shown on the ports tab (the highlighted line with the check in the box) the same as the IP address configured in the printer?

If the IP addresses are different, the best way to proceed is to configure a static IP address in the printer and then delete the old printer from Devices and Printers and re-add it using the new IP address.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Thank you Nick for that very complete reply. The printer IP was easy to find but I didn't have the guts to change it manually. What I have done is remove the printer and all the software from my PC, reboot, suspend ESET protection and reinstall the printer using software I downloaded from HP as opposed to using my original setup CD. The result was the same from the point of view that I still couldn't print while HideAway was running. I then went into the Printer properties on my PC and manually added a TCP/IP port naming it the IP address of the printer. This appears to have done the trick and I can now print with HideAway running.
Thanks very much for your help.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks for letting me know. What is the model of HP printer? We'll probably see if we can get one (or new printers are really cheap too) and try and replicate the issue to fix it.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 am

It is an all-in-one HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z.

Since I last wrote I have found out that the scanner does not work from my PC while HideAway is running, even with a rule excluding the IP address. No big deal as it is minimum effort to log off any time I want to scan.

Return to “HideAway”