Hideaway & IPv6.

fortuner
Travelling Tuatara

Hideaway & IPv6.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I see that Hideaway doesn't appear to work with IPv6! :? As IPv6 becomes more common, when exactly will it? Having purchased Hideaway, I feel like I've somewhat wasted my money! Nowhere on the products page does it mention IPv6.

My service provider has had IPv6 working for some time now so assumed that Hideaway would work with it as well. :|
There is nothing that lasts for ever...
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Hideaway & IPv6.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi
Everyone can still use IPv4 so there shouldn’t be any issue, even if IPv6 is not yet supported, but it's coming as we’ve got IPv6 working in a prototype. So next update. There are not many ISP's supporting IPv6 yet, but they'll need to get on to it.
fortuner
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:50 am

Thanks for your reply. :)

My ISP also supports IPv6 and has done so for the last few years (sounds like they were one of the first) and my modem has been enabled for it. Because of this, using Hideaway is a bit pointless for websites that also make use of IPv6 if one wants to be completely anonymous, like Facebook for example. I see Facebook can still see my location, albeit it two different ones, as every website that makes use of IPv6 could also, though admittedly there may not be many if ISP's don't support it.

For the time being, certainly until the next Hideaway that supports IPv6, I have since gone through the settings on my modem and disabled support for IPv6. Now I see for Facebook that my location is unknown. :)
There is nothing that lasts for ever...
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:53 am

Thanks for letting us know. Yes a lot of modems support IPv6 now and enable it by default, so for now as you have done you can just disable IPv6 there and that will mask your location.

Return to “HideAway”