Site still blocked even after setting up a rule

ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Site still blocked even after setting up a rule

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I've set up a rule for a site that requires you to be in the UK, but when I visit I still get a message saying that I can't use it because I am outside the UK.

How can I fix this?
Windows 10
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Site still blocked even after setting up a rule

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:43 pm

I assume if you redirect the browser through the UK, it works OK ?

Flick me the site address and I can take a look, it's probable that their detection methods for determining location are managed under a different domain.

If you like too, you can too open up the Network debugger (F12 usually does this), and when you load the page you can see just what domains are getting called.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Something that often can work too, is try redirecting just the domain without the suffix.

e.g. instead of firetrust.co.uk redirect firetrust, if that works then that should indicate the site might use firetrust.com as well.

BBC does something like this, so the default filter in place redirects both bbc.com and bbc.co.uk
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:47 pm

rusticdog wrote:I assume if you redirect the browser through the UK, it works OK ?
I've tried that now, and no, it still doesn't work. Does that mean that they're blocking your server?
rusticdog wrote:Flick me the site address and I can take a look, it's probable that their detection methods for determining location are managed under a different domain.

If you like too, you can too open up the Network debugger (F12 usually does this), and when you load the page you can see just what domains are getting called.
I used the Network debugger and the only domain that is called is the one that I'm trying to access. So I guess that that confirms that they've blocked you.

Anything else that I can do?
Windows 10
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:14 pm

It is possible it's been blocked, that's quite rare to happen though.

I'd try a different browser just to be sure it's not something quirky. Otherwise if you flick me the site we can look to see why and if need be rotate the server to another address.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 pm

rusticdog wrote:I'd try a different browser just to be sure it's not something quirky. Otherwise if you flick me the site we can look to see why and if need be rotate the server to another address.
Thanks! I tried redirecting IE and that worked.

I'd love to know what is going on! :)
Windows 10
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 pm

You use Chrome or Firefox usually ?
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes. Firefox and Chrome.

The rule that I had set up for the site worked with Firefox when HideAway first came out (which was very good), but then stopped working, and doesn't work with Chrome or IE either. But I only use this site infrequently, so this is a good enough solution.

Thanks for you help!
Windows 10

Return to “HideAway”