Netflix USA proxy blocked

msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Netflix USA proxy blocked

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

What can FireTrust do to overcome the latest Netflix proxy blocking? Why isn't there any discussions about the problem?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Netflix USA proxy blocked

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi there

To best of my knowledge none of our servers are being blocked, so we've not had to address the issue of yet.

Should Netflix start blocking our servers directly, there's immediate things we can do to work around that, and start to consider longer term options.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that :)
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi,

My USA Netflix has been blocked for several weeks now. It immediately goes to an error page saying," You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help visit Netflix/proxy."

There was an announcement in the Sydney Morning Herald a few weeks ago the Netflix was going to Block Australia and a few days later I started getting this message. It had been working perfectly until then. I am blocked on all USA servers

Surely I am not the only one. If so why?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Oh, that's no good at all.

You don't have any other programs installed that also might be trying to redirect Netflix to the US ?
Also what browser are you using ?
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 pm

No I have nothing of that type of program installed at all only HideAway. I am and have been using Internet Explorer 11. So what did you have in mind to do a workaround? We might as well start trying something.

The rules I have are Internet Explorer -Redirect Internet Explorer traffic through a different country

And - Netflix - Watch movies and video on demand at Netflix

I have swapped priorities with no help.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:58 pm

If you try accessing Netflix through Chrome, do you get the same error ?

Not having any joy just yet, it's still playing the US content for me using the same programs/rules, but we'll get to the bottom of it.

Edit : Just so I can be certain, with HideAway closed, or the rules disabled you can access the AUS Netflix perfectly fine ?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi

I'm connected through LA and it's working fine as far as I can see. I'm using Firefox. I just tried Internet Explorer using the Netflix rule and it told me this title is not available to stream instantly - which is an odd error. I tried the internet explorer rule through LA and it's working fine for me.

Do you have any location services turned on in IE? That could be giving you away? How about trying to disable flash?
http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/hi ... eb-browser
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:31 pm

I had location already disabled in IE . I can access Netflix Australia OK with or without HideAway running I get the same error in Chrome and Firefox. about:config geo-enabled in FF was already disabled. I've done a lot of checking you suggested with all browsers. Keep thinking I will do a restart. and try again.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 am

How very odd.

We'll talk to one of the programmers tomorrow (just hit midnight) and see what ideas they have.

In the interim, if you try using another server like the UK, does the same happen or is it only US servers giving the error ?

Thanks
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 am

I did a complete restart. Restarted all browsers to make sure any changes I made to them took hold.

I tried IE with no other apps runnung except Hideaway and IE Got the same proxy error.

I tried FF and Netflix and got the proxy error

Chrome came up with Netflix but would not load

I closed HideAway and I enabled the Hola extention in Chrome which was what I was using before buying HideAway and started watching Burn Notice in NetFlix it picked up and started running from same series and episode where I left if when HidwAway started giving the proxy error.

I am now watching Burn Notice before I have to go to bed.

If you come up with any ideas I will try HideAway again. I am sure it is NetFlix being successful in blocking proxies.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 am

Hi,

It has to be something else, because the servers all work for us without being blocked.
Can you try loading up Hideaway on IE and then try this DNS leak test https://dnsleaktest.com/

Also, if you're able to login to your router, can you see if something called IPv6 is enabled? Can you disable it, so only IPv4 is available?
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi,

The leak test shows me - Hello 155.94.254.13 from Los Angeles, United States

However the Standard button on this page shows - 61.9.194.56 dns.cht.bigpond.net.au Telstra Internet Australia
And the Extended Button the same 61.9.194.56 dns.cht.bigpond.net.au Telstra Internet Australia
In Adddition it says:
What do the results of this test mean?
•The servers identified above receive a request to resolve a domain name (e.g. www.eff.org) to an IP address everytime you enter a website address in your browser.
•The owners of the servers above have the ability to associate your personal IP address with the names of all the sites you connect to and store this data indefinitely. This does not mean that they do log or store it indefinitely but they may and you need to trust whatever their policy says.
•If you are connected to a VPN service and ANY of the servers listed above are not provided by the VPN service then you have a DNS leak and are choosing to trust the owners of the above servers with your private data.

>>Also, if you're able to login to your router, can you see if something called IPv6 is enabled? Can you disable it, so only IPv4 is available?

It's been years since I set up the Router Netgear N300 Modem/Router and have no recollection of it. Can you give me any hints as to how find what you are suggesting? and would it help considering the above report from the DNS leak test?
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:20 pm

>>Also, if you're able to login to your router, can you see if something called IPv6 is enabled? Can you disable it, so only IPv4 is available?

I found the way to disable IPv6. Restarted the router and IE but nothing has changed still blocked frm NetFlix for using a unblocker or proxy
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks for doing this. I see the problem, the DNS in your PC is leaking your IP address. We have some rules (DNS Leak) to fix this, but for some reason it's not working on my test and at this stage I'm unsure why. We'll try and get to the bottom of this asap.
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks Nick,

I don't understand all I know about this but what I glean from what the dnsleaktest says, is that Bigpond is the culprit along with the Australian data retention legislation. I sincerely hope that you can find a way around it. Since I have a computer and an ISP with the ability to leak my true IP address I am happy to run any tests for you that may help you.

While I got your attention I want to thank you for MailWasher I have been using it since the very beginning and I think it is the greatest bit of software ever invented I couldn't live without it.

Return to “HideAway”