HideAway vs. PureVPN

Elektra
Active Albatross

HideAway vs. PureVPN

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:42 am

As a NoScript user, I am always offered the option of using PureVPN whenever NoScript updates itself.
How does HideAway compare, or is this a question I shouldn't be asking?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: HideAway vs. PureVPN

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Still early days to probably make any meaningful comparison. Once the UI and proper rules systems is in place (hopefully March) things will be better.

That said, most VPNs typically redirect the whole machine, whereas we're trying to give a system where only a browser or certain websites will redirect, or at least allow for various setups.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks for your reply rusticdog. May I ask, what are the disadvantages of redirecting the whole machine?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Elektra wrote:Thanks for your reply rusticdog. May I ask, what are the disadvantages of redirecting the whole machine?

If you take me personally I (mostly) just want US Netflix, so would prefer to redirect my browser, sending all my other traffic through the VPN just for that purpose I would consider a bit unnecessary. Some things I access too are locked by IP address, and attempting to access through a VPN either locks me out or triggers various security warnings, given that the VPN IP addresses may change, it's easier for me to keep accessing those services through my home IP.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes, that makes a lot of sense and I can see how Google would lock me out of my Gmail accounts. But there again, they are one of the most serious players in the privacy destruction game so maybe it's a good idea to put a spanner in their works.

Return to “HideAway”