Getting busted using torrents.

AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Getting busted using torrents.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm

I have been running HideAway Beta for quite some time using the "Redirect Torrent Applications" option. In the last couple of months, I have received a few of those nasty infringement notices. As far as I know, I update to the latest Beta version when it is announced. And as previously posted, I load HideAway on boot, redirect to the Netherlands, and let it sit there, fat, dumb & happy. Then and only then, I load uTorrent.

Any ideas, please?

As an aside, when I worked in the Aus Dept of Defence, the greatest compliment you could receive was from a Defence member, either uniform or civilian: "Love your work".
So here ya go:
Love your work.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Getting busted using torrents.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:09 pm

The current beta doesn't have UDP support or encryption, next beta will have UDP support. Is possible the torrent using UDP for the tracker is what got picked up.

New beta hopefully very soon
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:28 pm

So could I simply redirect my whole computer to a USA based node?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Yes you could do that. What program are you using, under Help >> About if you can note the version number too.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm

uTorrent (Ad-Free) 3.5.3 (build 44358) [32-bit]
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

OK sure. In the interim, until UDP support is properly implemented, under Options >> Preferences >> BitTorrent >> switch off UDP tracker support. There's possibly two options in this section also for DHT, which I believe also use UDP so you could turn those two off and see how things go.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks. It needs UDP Support to be enabled to kick off each torrent, but then choofs along nicely after that.

If I enabled "IP/Hostname to report to tracker" with the Oregon IP Address, along with UDP Tracker Support enabled, is that going to reduce my visibility?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

No I wouldn't alter the hostname/IP, I believe that is intended for when an incorrect (internal) IP is being sent.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks even more.

I'll go with briefly enabling UDP tracker support to get downloads started and then disable it again.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 am

Update: That works like a charm. Queue them up, then switch "Enable UPD tracker support" on, wait (only needs a few seconds) until all torrents have started downloading metadata, then switch it off again.

And the far more cumbersome VPN that I paid for, which locks me out of my local network, has been put to good use on my phone.

And I don't really care if everyone thinks I'm in Oregon. It's close enough to Washington State.

Thanks for the help, rusticdog. Love your work. Looking forward to the new beta, and believe it or not, looking forward to paying for it!
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 pm

AussieRodney wrote:Update: That works like a charm. Queue them up, then switch "Enable UPD tracker support" on, wait (only needs a few seconds) until all torrents have started downloading metadata, then switch it off again.
Or more accurately, wait until all torrents are showing seeds and peers. It only takes a second or two.

Quick check that "Enable UPD tracker support" is off. Cancel.
Queue them up.
Set "Enable UPD tracker support" to on.
Apply.
Set "Enable UPD tracker support" to off.
Once seeds and peers appear, OK.

Done and dusted until next time.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:39 am

Give the latest version 3.10.0 a try, it has DNS and UDP support so should get around any trackers.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks for persevering, Nick.

[*]Installed & loaded 3.10.0 running as Redirect All Computer.
[*]Found a download, loaded that.
[*]Switched ON: UDP Tracker Support, file is still Connecting to peers 0%.
[*]Switched ON: Both Enable DHT options, file is still Connecting to peers 0%.

[*]Reverted to 3.7.0, temporarily enabled UDP Tracker support, file started downloading.

Rodney.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi Rodney

We had an issue with one of our servers, so we're just re-installing everything and will test it. Will let you know shortly...
Version 3.7.0 works because it doesn't have the new stuff we made
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Ok, we reinstalled it all but there seems to be an issue on our server hosts end. So, you can actually just redirect Chrome, or Firefox or another option to another country and we'll intercept any torrents and send them via Amsterdam (since they're a torrent friendly nation). It just won't work with ALL COMPUTER or WATCH NETFLIX USA/BBC IPLAYER options.

So, your torrents are protected all the time actually, they just don't work with ALL COMPUTER at the moment. So, we'll contact our host and see what's up.

Return to “HideAway”