London server not working?

sllo1
Student Sheep

Re: London server not working?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 pm

nick.bolton wrote:We jsut updated Hideaway to 3.11, so close Hideaway, download and install the new version, or wait for the update notification, and then restart Hideaway.

We have a new UK server, plus lots of bug fixes.
Works like a charm. Thanks Nick. :D
Jancux
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 am

Hi Nick,
I am still in Germany,
following intensive testing I am delighted to report that BBC IPlayer is working absolutely fine, providing that I redirect the "Whole Computer" via London.
The option to watch BBC iPlayer simply does not work period!
Further it depends on which browser I use. My normal browser (Firefox 64Bit) does not perform very well, whereas IE or Chrome perform perfectly. I believe this has to do with with the speed ( bandwidth) of my location (8Mbs).
At another of my family with 60Mbs internet even my Firefox works perfectly..but not with "Watch BBC IPlayer"
It goes without saying that I am best pleased.
Best Regards
Jancux
:cheers :cheers
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 am

At a guess perhaps you have 'Location' enabled in your web browser and it's giving your real location away or some other plugin, where as if you redirect all your computer nothing is able to get around whatever is giving your location away.

Here's some tips for turning off location in your browser
https://www.firetrust.com/products/hide ... eb-browser
Jancux
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm

No NOT SO!
The only Web Site with Location enabled (Firefox) is https://mydrive.tomtom.com
Jancux
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Further:-
Internet Explorer and Google Chrome also have Location disabled, but none of the browsers work with "Watch BBC IPlayer"

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

Non the less I am still best pleased using "Redirect Whole Computer"
Jancux
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Redirect Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome ALL WORK fine!
Paraf
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm

BBC - The iplayer works fine for me in Canada for live play. But it does not work for downloads of programs. I have successfully used the 'redirect all computer' to London, UK for months for the downloads (except for the hicups with the London server) - not a train smash :)

CHANNEL 4 - unable to play anything - it asks for sign in but then gives the error 'The service is not currently available in your area' when play is pressed.'
This is all with redirect to London & location is off.
All this via Chrome.

Any suggestions for C4?
Thks
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Paraf wrote:CHANNEL 4 - unable to play anything - it asks for sign in but then gives the error 'The service is not currently available in your area' when play is pressed.'
This is all with redirect to London & location is off.
All this via Chrome.

Any suggestions for C4?
Thks
With C4, if you check your account settings https://4id.channel4.com/account?intcmp ... t_settings do you have an address or postcode entered ?
Paraf
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 am

Yes I do & its a London address
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Paraf wrote:Yes I do & its a London address
Can you send me a screenshot of the address to forum@firetrust.com ?

Perhaps a long shot, but I'm not having any issue with C4 and Chrome on my machine via London.
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:08 pm

I've tried Channel 4 with Chrome, Opera and IE and now get the same message as Paraf after pressing Play. Strangely earlier this week it did let me play one episode but when I went to watch the second straight after it wouldn't play and I haven't been able to watch anything since then.
Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:16 pm

poundgirl wrote:I've tried Channel 4 with Chrome, Opera and IE and now get the same message as Paraf after pressing Play. Strangely earlier this week it did let me play one episode but when I went to watch the second straight after it wouldn't play and I haven't been able to watch anything since then.
OK, I've just emailed you a test C4 account I was hoping you can try via London.

Thanks
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Ok, got this working. Since Channel 4 uses the flash player I think they're getting more info about the settings on your computer than you realize.

This is what I had to do.

Go to Control Panel>>Region, and change my location to the UK.
Go to Settings>>Time and Date, and change the Time Zone to UTC +00 for London etc.
Restart my computer.
Start HideAway and redirect All Computer to UK.

Before this, some of the content worked, now all of it does as far as I'm aware.
Not ideal for most people to have their computer time different though.
Paraf
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 am

Thanks Nick - that works
As you say not an ideal solution but ... probably not something to insert into Hideaway.
Could a virtual machine have a different time zone? just trying to find an easier solution.

It seems that older programs (eg Box Sets) can be accessed but not live or recent progs unless the time zone is changed.
@ rusticdog If you still need the screen shot let me know.

Thanks
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:11 am

Yes, using a Virtual Machine is a good idea to get around the limitation. I can see why Channel 4 is still using Flash despite it's security issues, since they get to control geo blocking a bit more. I'll have a chat to the programmers and see if it's possible to intercept the flash packets and alter the info going back to the server so it's congruent with what they expect. I imagine it probably can be done, but Flash is a dying technology so I don't suspect it's used by many other sites.

Return to “HideAway”