HideAway leaking

Being
Student Sheep

HideAway leaking

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 am

When I'm connected to HideAway using Firefox in safe mode and do a check with doileak.com I can see that my real ISP's IP address is clearly visible with the comment ... "We received DNS requests from you via a DNS server from another AS (routable network) than your HTTP request. This could mean that your DNS requests are leaking."

It is also showing multiple operating systems ... "If different OS detection methods deliver different results you may be a bot, or a human using a proxy or a virtual machine."

Does this mean that HideAway doesn't really work?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: HideAway leaking

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 am

Hi

No, HideAway does not leak. I just tried it with doileak.com and it's working fine for me.

You need to Select 'ALL Computer' for DNS leaks to be completely safe.

Also, go to http://ipinfo.io to check that HideAway is redirecting properly, if not then you may have not allowed the Windows Firewall through HideAway when it was installed (iThe Firewall would have shown you a popup asking you to OK that HideAway can be let through the Firewall).

Alternatively, can you please uninstall HideAway, restart your computer and install HideAway again.

Nick
Being
Student Sheep

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:17 am

nick.bolton wrote:Hi

No, HideAway does not leak. I just tried it with doileak.com and it's working fine for me.

You need to Select 'ALL Computer' for DNS leaks to be completely safe.

Also, go to http://ipinfo.io to check that HideAway is redirecting properly, if not then you may have not allowed the Windows Firewall through HideAway when it was installed (iThe Firewall would have shown you a popup asking you to OK that HideAway can be let through the Firewall).

Alternatively, can you please uninstall HideAway, restart your computer and install HideAway again.

Nick
Thanks Nick,

Firstly, Windows Firewall didn't pop up a message. I restarted my computer anyway and followed your instructions ("You need to Select 'ALL Computer' for DNS leaks to be completely safe) exactly (without reinstall").
Then I did this ...
I connected to HideAway "Redirect All Computer" and selected London, UK.
I started Firefox in SafeMode (all history and cache cleared) and went directly to http://ipinfo.io which reported my IP location in Bristol, UK (120mls from London).
I then went back to doileak.com and it gave me the same result I got previously, multiple OS and my real ISP.

Obviously I need to try the unistall/reinstall thing but I think you might be interested to know that, for me, just installing the HideAway beta and using it doesn't actually hide anything.

Believe me, I like and trust your company and I really want this thing to work. If you want more detailed info about my system and setup I would be happy to send it to you.

Thanks.
Being
Student Sheep

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am

OK, I have uninstalled/rebooted and reinstalled and I'm getting exactly the same results as before.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for the info. It's a bit odd as the Firewall notification should popup when you first use it, and should request local and public traffic activity. Perhaps you can check the Windows Firewall and allow hideaway though and see if that helps.

Also, regarding your system. Can you let me know if you have an IPv6 IP address with your ISP? and what Windows version you have.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am

Also try some others eg https://www.dnsleaktest.com
Being
Student Sheep

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am

That (extended) dnsleaktest.com test bizarrely shows my real ISP's name with one of HideAway's IPs! According to ipv6-test.com IPv6 is not supported by my ISP, I have the default IPv4.

Win10 Home 64 bit

Kaspersky is my Firewall but it has been turned off for the duration on my HideAway installation, and for some time before. I've just turned it back on but it will take a long time to scan my whole system and 6 hard drives; I'll get back to you on that.
Consequently, I never get requests from the Win Firewall and looking through the list of allowed apps I see some very recent additions which I've never agreed to but am happy with but no HideAway.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the info. HideAway should be on the list in the Windows Firewall.

We've had a few issues with Kaspersky as it has from time to time caused issues, but the most recent versions of Kaspersky should have been working ok with HideAway. The issue is that even if you disable Kaspersky then it still blocks stuff, even though it says it's not.
What version of Kaspersky are you using?
Being
Student Sheep

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks Nick,

I have been testing various VPNs (incl. CyberGhost, BearTunnel and Steganos) recently and all have worked with varying degrees of success. The Kaspersky Firewall lists only BearTunnel (very recent) in the Network list. The 3 listed above all passed the doileak.com IP test with a few multiple OS and browser issues.

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 17.0.0.611(m) which I believe is the latest version.
Being
Student Sheep

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:41 am

Just to be clear, in a thread above I said that whilst I was connected using HideAway ipinfo.io reported my IP location to be in Bristol, UK. This is not my ISPs IP location and neither is it HideAway's London location.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Actually our London server changed and it's now in Bristol, so we just need to update the city list.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi, just getting back to this if you still have HideAway installed.

DNS leaks are only stopped when 'ALL Computer' is selected.
Can you see the a Ping number when you click 'START REDIRECT' button? It should be just below the button.

It's a bit annoying if Kaspersky are blocking something or intercepting something.
Being
Student Sheep

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Nick,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, been busy. I have a Latency number under the button. When I press the button it usually reads 36ms but then swings between 16 and 24ms for a minute and settles at 16/17.
I just tried another test: I completely disabled Kaspersky through Task Manager (took a while to repeatedly end processes) and ran the doileak.com test in both FF and Chrome. The results were exactly the same as before, multiple browsers and DNS Request Source displaying my actual ISP.

I hope that helps.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:58 am

Hey thanks for the test again. I'm pretty sure Kaspersky will still be running in the background, probably as a Windows service not shown in task Manager. Anyway, we'll try and replicate here.
Being
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 am

No problem and good luck.
A point of interest, when I restarted Kaspersky it warned me that I had disabled the firewall in the settings, and might be at risk. But as you point out, there might still be a sneaky service lurking somewhere that prevents HideAway from closing the gaps.

Return to “HideAway”