Torrent Notice From ISP

mst246
Travelling Tuatara

Torrent Notice From ISP

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am

HI

I just got my first Torrent/Copyright notice from my ISP. HA was redirecting at the time of a rather large file two days before the notice. I check a 2-3 times a day to be sure HA is working.

WIN 10 64 bit
HA 3.14
Whole Computer
Oregon
QBittorrent
My Location USA

Thanks
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Torrent Notice From ISP

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Interesting, thanks for the report as we've not had any others like this - actually it would usually be our ISP in Oregon who would get the abuse report and warn us if HideAway had been used.
Could you post a copy of the notice you received? Feel free to leave out any info you don't want to show (titles, personal info). Would be good to know who your ISP is.

Usually the way torrents are caught is by a 3rd party being one of the seeders and then collecting a list of IP Addresses and forwarding that information to the ISP. So perhaps you ran HideAway after QBittorrent?

In Qbittorrent, if you go to View>>Log, it will show the External IP you're connected to (should be 185.145.130.167)
mst246
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Nick

The first thing I do (usually) after waking PC is hit the redirect button. But, now that I think about it, I had that big DL going for about a minute before realizing I forgot to fire up HA. So,the torrent client would not have switched IP on the fly correct? Never even occured to me because it does switch on the fly with web browser already open. Have think better. The QB log does show 185.145.130.167

Here are the results od a doileak.com torrent test:

Torrent IP:
Torrent HTTP Request IP: 185.145.130.167
Torrent HTTP embedded IP: -
Torrent UDP Request IP: 185.145.130.167
Torrent UDP embedded IP: -

Torrent DNS: Your torrent client did send DNS requests via the following IPs:
35.164.72.217 Merit Network (237), United States (NA)
The DNS requests of your torrent client came from the same AS as your HTTP request.

My ISP is Spectrum/Charter
Which server would be best for torrenting?

Thanks
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks.

When it comes to torrents when you connect to a seeder they will see your IP address. If you have already connected to a seeder before running Hideaway, then that's where the 3rd parties can come in.
We do switch IPs on each new connection after Hideaway is started, but we can't switch already current connections and even if we did, the public IP is still exposed initially.

So just make sure HideAway is running first.

The doileak site is correct, it's showing DNS running through the Oregon hideaway server, and the torrents through 185.145.130.167
For HideAway, it's not actually going to matter where you choose to torrent because we shuttle the torrents through our servers in locations which are friendly to torrents, otherwise we get copyright complaints and our servers shut down.
mst246
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Got it. Thanks Nick

Return to “HideAway”