Strange behaviour 3.16.0 incorrect routing

frankst237
Student Sheep

Strange behaviour 3.16.0 incorrect routing

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello all, I am a UK resident currently in France for a few weeks. I want to watch BBC iPlayer whilst I am here. Until a couple of days ago Hideaway was working fine but suddenly seems to have gone peculiar!! This is in parallel with more choices of what to redirect and where to redirect becoming available I think.

I selected "Watch BBC iPlayer" (which has only appeared as an option recently I believe), redirected and then checked the IP address with a website called ipinfo. The IP address is somewhere in France - not what I wanted.

I then changed and selected Redirect Whole Computer and chose London (which has been working fine for the last couple of weeks), checked the IP address again and it tells me that I am now routing through Greece.

Strange behaviour to me!!

Is there a known problem or is it a random occurrence?

Any info from anyone please.

Thanks, Frank
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Strange behaviour 3.16.0 incorrect routing

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Frank

If you select 'Watch BBC iPlayer' then it will only redirect what's needed to get iPlayer to work on your computer, it won't redirect anything else, hence the IP address saying you're in France, since you're in France.

The London IP address is actually in London, but sometimes these IP address websites don't have the most up to date data. If you go to https://ipinfo.io/ it will show Essex. Google maps shows Uganda (we've reported this to them), but Microsoft Bing Maps correctly shows London.
The hosting companies who control these IP addresses can often move them around.

Nick
sophist
Mystified Moa

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 am

(Somewhat related?) Saw that 3.15 "removed Netflix USA" . Now, what is the practical effect of that for someone who uses Netflix and wants to install HideAway? With Netflix USA removed, does that mean that it cannot be accessed, or is there a (term?) hands-off failover/skip that allows access but not through HA?
For 3.16, note says that adjustments were made "to address some issues with Kaspersky AV". Some of us are sensitive to anything having to do with Kaspersky. (I'm US). Any reassurance that the P in VPN is in tact? Thanks
(FYI: Haven't installed HideAway yet. See it as useful for some folks overseas, and before recommending - after I try it - would want to give them a full +/- heads up - knowing it is Beta.)
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 am

Hi
Re the Netflix. All it means is that we had a server which people outside of USA could watch the US version of Netflix, but Netflix actively tries to block these servers. So lots of cat and mouse behavior, and in the end we just removed our server until we find a better way of providing it.
It won't have any effect on your ability to watch Netflix though if you're in the US, or anywhere else. So no need to worry, your Netflix will work just fine.

Re Kaspersky. We just updated a part of the software which caused some issues with Kaspersky AV users (they had trouble installing HideAway). So it has nothing to do with privacy or how it works if you don't use Kaspersky. HideAway is hardly beta anymore, it's been well tested and we're just working on some final updates and a user interface refresh before launching it properly.
frankst237
Student Sheep

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 am

Nick (and anyone reading this), you are absolutely right with your response. The ipinfo data does still say France / Greece but iPlayer does work in both instances (and should only work with a UK IP address).

I confess that I didn't get as far as actually trying to use iPlayer, I simply checked the IP addresses and gave up - so that teaches me a lesson!!

Thank you for the response and keep going with the Firetrust products. Small company, limited resources but really good products when they work so thanks from the user community.

Regards, Frank
g6radio
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:22 pm

I am happy the big cheese is there to guide us all, excellent service and advice

tnx
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Great, thanks. Keep the questions coming :)

Return to “HideAway”