eregnans
Mystified Moa

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 am

Hi, I am a newbie to VPN and HideAway (Ver 4.50) and trying to get my 73 yo head around whats actually happening.
1. I understand "continually connected" - HideAway starts when Win 10 boots up, and runs whenever Win 10 is running? However I see no onscreen indication? How do I know HideAway has put my computer where I Redirected it to be ? How does this affect my everyday use for emails, general computing, photography, program devt, interactions with clouds, etc.
2. If I Redirect: All Computer to Seattle USA, and launch MS Edge (Edge thinks I am Near Seattle) and search for say "Liquor Stores" (giving away a vice here) I get back a list of liquor store sites mostly for Melbourne Australia where my computer physycally is, rather than for Seattle WA as I expected. If I launch FireFox (Firefox thinks I am in West Sacramento) and search for "Liquor Stores" I get a list of liquor sites around Sacramento CA, not Seattle (but right side of the country at least !!).
One observation possibly for Nick here is that prior to going "balls and all" and Redirecting : All Computer, I put a toe in the water and only redirected Edge to Seattle USA. Has this compromised Edge, is this an IP leak ?
Anyway, it is all a lot of fun. I am a devoted Mailwasher user, it has saved my bacon more than once !! Looking forward to some help for the aged . . .
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Newbie

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 am

Hi there

Thanks for your questions.

1. At the moment, continually connected actually means if you change wifi or other internet types you won't get disconnected. It doesn't auto-start with Windows but that is coming soon - so that's why you don't see any indication of it working at Windows start. You can visit a site like https://ipinfo.io to see your new location. It won't affect your ability to send emails etc.
2. A lot of the time if you've already visited say Bing or Google they'll remember where you are. Instead you'll either need to clear your cookies, or open up a private browsing or incognito tab.

Hope that helps!

Nick
sophist
Mystified Moa

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:41 am

Actually for Nick. Your Latest version of ... topic is out of date. Looks like 4.5 is the latest per now. Also suggest you get rid of the old version 3 Beta links. Finally, suggest you have the product (buy) page on that thread. If any or all of this is wrong, my apologies are extended. Long time user of MWP and have tried HA with good results. Edit: Just bought HA license - thanks for the discount!
Product page (for others)
https://www.firetrust.com/products/hide ... imited-vpn
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 am

Right you are: I've updated that 'whats new' topic now. Thanks for buying HideAway! Much appreciated.

You can always click the 'Whats New' link in HideAway to see what was updated.
AussieRodney
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am

G'day, Newbie.

I've been using Startup Delayer for a long time. It allows me to specify exactly what I want to load, and also what I don't want to load, on startup.

Regards, Rodney.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am

We're actually getting pretty close to implementing the startup option, so you'll be able to have preset HideAway rules (Redirect all computer to Aus, except Gmail goes to USA, Outlook goes to London etc) and have them auto-turn on when you start HideAway.

Return to “HideAway”