HideAway 4.9

Andrew42
Active Albatross

HideAway 4.9

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for the update. I think I must be misunderstanding something. The only new aspect to 4.9 that I notice is that it starts minimsed. Previous versions have always started for me when Windows 10 started, but maximised.
Secondly, if I shut down my PC with Hideaway diverting my whole computer to London, is it meant to start back up with my computer diverted to London? if so, it is not doing that. Hideaway starts with Windows but in the disconnected state and not as I left it.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: HideAway 4.9

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Did you have it in the Windows startup folder?

We decided to make it start minimized as we thought people would complain about having to minimize it on startup.

If you set your redirection/location - click Connect, then shut down HideAway, then restart HideAway it should start as you left it. It's the same as restarting your PC. Can you try that?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Nick, yes I did have it in the Start Up folder. I like that it starts minimised. I am however getting erratic behaviour. When I wrote my first post it was because when I shut down my PC it did not remember that it was forwarded to London and, on reboot, Hideaway started minimised and not connected.

Following your post I tried it again- This time HA started with my PC diverted to London but Maximised.

I will monitor it over the next few days and update you later.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks, we'll see if we can re-create. Did you do update by restarting HideAway or install from a download?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:01 am

Nick, I forced the update by closing HA and rebooting.

FYI, just arrived back home and connected my PC back to my Home network. HA ran on start up, diverted my PC correctly to London and showed maximised on desktop.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 am

You'll need to remove it from the startup folder and instead check the box to startup when windows does.
It only starts minimised when there is a special command line to tell it to and that is set by checking the box.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Got it. Made the change. Seems now to working fine. Thanks
dsicon
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:57 am

Great changes, love the startup and the remembrance of settings. On the first cold boot I was a little confused about whether it was running, I double clicked the desktop icon and appreciate it did not try to run a second instance. I think the start up minimized is a good decision but you may want to consider an option for that down the road.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:20 am

Thanks, yes we'll add a slew of options in later. We're changing the user interface shortly to one where we can have multiple rules running at the same time and add custom rules too.
dsicon
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 am

I take it back, I don't think it is working at startup. I do not have a link in startup, I do have Run Hideaway when windows starts.

Yesterday when I said it was working it was because I double clicked the shortcut when I did not see it minimized.

Today I booted and assumed it was running but when I checked Taskman I see that it is not running. Win10.
When I double click the shortcut on the desktop it starts, runs and shows the last setting used.

How do I get it to actually start on startup?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:31 am

Hi

It only remembers the state it was last in when you closed HideAway down. So first, make sure you have the box checked 'Run HideAway when Windows starts'.

Select a redirect/location. It can be connected or disconnected

Now shut down HideAway (right click, then quit in the system tray). Restart HideAway and it will remember the last state it was in. It will do the same for starting with Windows start.

In the registry this is shown at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
optodata
Student Sheep

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:53 am

nick.bolton wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 am
You'll need to remove it from the startup folder and instead check the box to startup when windows does.
It only starts minimised when there is a special command line to tell it to and that is set by checking the box.
Can you share what that command line option is? For some reason, Hideaway no longer starts when I boot Win10 on my desktop, even though it does still launch automatically on my Win10 Surface Book 3. The on-screen check box used to work on the desktop PC but doesn't any longer, and even uninstalling/reinstalling 4.16.5 didn't help. I've added HideAway.exe to the registry and it does now start with Windows, but it runs as an open app and I'd prefer it to do the update check and then run minimized like it used to do.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:26 am

The command line was really just for our testing and it helped some people who had issues with the user interface at the time (which have since been resolved).

I would not use a registry cleaner (if you did) as these can cause issues.

Can you uninstall, and remove any items from C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\HideAway and C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\HideAway then restart your computer and install HideAway again.

Nick
optodata
Student Sheep

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks, Nick. I didn't use a registry cleaner, I simply added an entry at \Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

I've since deleted that key, uninstalled HideAway and deleted both folders as you directed. I actually had to do both of those steps a second time because I didn't reboot after uninstalling the app and got a conflict message.

After rebooting I did a full install, ensured that the Run HideAway when Windows starts option was enabled and entered my license key. Unfortunately, the app does not start when I boot. MailWasher Pro does along with these other apps:

Might any of these start-up apps be interfering?

It seems like everything was working normally up until a week or so ago. I have many system backups I can restore from if it would help to know if this might be caused by a Windows update or one of HideAway's.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Could you check AVG is not blocking it, or just make it allow HideAway?

Also in %APPDATA%\HideAway can you share the log file.

Return to “HideAway”