Re: Major Malfunction

Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 am

Chicago is down.
Paraf
Travelling Tuatara

Sun May 30, 2021 4:56 am

Hi Nick & co

Yes it was inconvenient but still had a quick response considering what had to be done. :D

Hideaway does not exit completely unless you "quit" via the system tray. If you just click the X you may have to use task manager to kill the background apps. V4.17 was available as stated by Nick but will only update when fully restarted.

An explanation of what the problem user did would help calm this. Just to ensure we are all protected as expected.

I would guess it was someone using torrents with the wrong redirect (from a country that has little privacy/torrent download laws - USA). If it was Netherlands it would have been safe.

:?: Do the servers have to be in the country you are connecting to with Hideaway or is this somehow hidden?

BTW yes Chicago is down

Hope it was still a good weekend ;)
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun May 30, 2021 8:32 am

Thanks, Chicago is back up.

The abuse issue happens occasionally with torrents, we try and catch them all and redirect to torrent friendly countries even if you're connecting to somewhere else, because if you get too many abuse reports (these are DCMA reports about downloading movies) then the hosts threaten to suspend the service. This happens mostly with USA owned hosts as was the case here. It's quite tricky to intercept torrents as they're by design meant to circumvent detection, but in this case we didn't detect it and someone downloaded about 12 Peppa Pig episodes in quick succession and we got all these abuse reports which led to a suspension. Usually they don't mind if it's a few here and there.
We're now using non USA owned hosts for our servers and updated more code to detect torrents so don't expect any further issues.
poundgirl
Travelling Tuatara

Sun May 30, 2021 10:26 am

I think Nick does a great job and if something goes wrong always responds here and fixes the problem quickly :D
Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!
mst246
Travelling Tuatara

Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 am

nick.bolton wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:32 am
Thanks, Chicago is back up.

The abuse issue happens occasionally with torrents, we try and catch them all and redirect to torrent friendly countries even if you're connecting to somewhere else, because if you get too many abuse reports (these are DCMA reports about downloading movies) then the hosts threaten to suspend the service. This happens mostly with USA owned hosts as was the case here. It's quite tricky to intercept torrents as they're by design meant to circumvent detection, but in this case we didn't detect it and someone downloaded about 12 Peppa Pig episodes in quick succession and we got all these abuse reports which led to a suspension. Usually they don't mind if it's a few here and there.
We're now using non USA owned hosts for our servers and updated more code to detect torrents so don't expect any further issues.
Chicago was up. It's down again. Was slower than before also for the brief time it was up.It used get me close to full speed. All else currently reducing my speed by about 75%.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon May 31, 2021 7:00 am

Looks like Chicago is working ok?

These servers are temporary, it's just what we could get on short notice at the time. We'll definitely be switching to better hosts this week with dedicated gigabit speed ports. A lot of these hosts share the internet ports.
mst246
Travelling Tuatara

Mon May 31, 2021 7:28 am

nick.bolton wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:00 am
Looks like Chicago is working ok?

These servers are temporary, it's just what we could get on short notice at the time. We'll definitely be switching to better hosts this week with dedicated gigabit speed ports. A lot of these hosts share the internet ports.
It's working again for me now. I understand the temp thing. Thanks for keeping at it.

Return to “HideAway”