my browsers are now not working with any vpn location I use

dkodgis
Student Sheep

my browsers are now not working with any vpn location I use

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am

For the last 10 days, I appear connected to the internet, and I can open a command window to ping a website successfully, and my wireless adapter status shows I am connected to the internet...but none of my browsers work with any Hideaway vpn location. I am at a loss. Does anyone have a suggestion? I can ping my laptop's local address in a command window, I can ping for example cnn.com and so on. However browsing is off the table. I tried Opera, Chrome, and Edge. All say I am not connected to the internet.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: my browsers are now not working with any vpn location I use

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am

What exact error message do you get in your browser? Can you try Firefox if you have it?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Also which location are you connecting to?
dkodgis
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I try NY, LA, London, and a few others for locations. I am using Opera, Chrome Canary, Chrome, Edge.

I just downloaded and installed FireFox and well blow me down boys. It works. So FireFox is the only one working. I connected to London to test if I could get to www.bbc.co.uk and the message was "connection was reset". However, bbc.com did load.

The Edge error message said it looks like cnn closed the connection when I was connected to any vpn location in the HideAway pull down menu. When using Opera, the error message was "this site can't be reached", that cnn.com address could not be found.

So...FireFox works with HideAway on my laptop, but no other browser does even though my status of wireless nic says I am connected and in a command window I can ping various websites successfully. I do notice when connected to London, as I said ...www.bbc.co.uk in not reachable but bbc.com is via Firefox.

Thanks everyone for staying with this. I appreciate the help.
dkodgis
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:36 pm

Nick, I love the Big Cheese avatar
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Thanks for this info

Can you please shut down HideAway (right click and select Close or Quit)
Download this version:

http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/hide ... -setup.exe

and install it. Let me know if it fixes your issues.
dkodgis
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 pm

I uninstalled the current version on my laptop, then reinstalled using your 17 version. Yes, it works now. All browsers.

There is one remaining issue which is when I am connected to the London site, bbc.co.uk automatically switches me to bbc.com and this kills my chance to play tv and use iplayer. Is there an issue with the BBC website knowing I am on a vpn? It seems so.

Thank you for your quick responses and solution to my other problem. Very much appreciated. If you can tell me something about the BBC site taking me from bbc.co.uk to bbc.com, that also would be very much appreciated.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 pm

There is one remaining issue which is when I am connected to the London site, bbc.co.uk automatically switches me to bbc.com and this kills my chance to play tv and use iplayer. Is there an issue with the BBC website knowing I am on a vpn? It seems so.
I expect there is a cookie stored in the browser regarding the last site visited, being the .com address and not the .co.uk

Try clearing the BBC cookies in the browser, then try again https://www.lifewire.com/clear-cookies- ... te-4587347

Return to “HideAway”