ip leack failed

security_blog
Mystified Moa

ip leack failed

Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi,
first of all i want to tell that is a very interesting VPN.

PRO
- very fast in connection
-very fast in navigation (you forget to be under a vpn while in net)

and very important for me
- you can set to not redirect your email client (is the only VPN I found to have this feature)

the only fatal CON

-fail the ipleack test.
you can check yourself to this link test

https://vpntesting.com/

your really IP will be detected despite you are under this VPN.
This is not accettable by a VPN. I use it just to surf protect by the wall of a VPN.
I made also another test. I used a Ukranian IP just to connect to a site that accept only ukranian people.
It tell me that I am not from Ukraine.
I read in the FAQ that for resolve ip leack you suggest to change the setting of the browser, but this is not the solution.
A customer does not want be bother with core settings in various browser if pay for a VPN.
I made the same test with same browser with other 3 different VPN and the only IP was the one of the VPN and not mine.

Dont get me wrong, my criticism is for push your team to work for make this wonderful VPN to be perfect.
My future plan will be to buy lifetime license, but not before this security hole will be solved.

Alex
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: ip leack failed

Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:59 am

Hi Alex

Thanks for your feedback/comments. They are appreciated.

The reason you get an IP Leak if you don't redirect your whole computer is because Windows has other processes running like svchost.exe which are often DLLs etc and these can be accessing the internet also. So if you only redirect your web browser then there's all these other processes running which can leak your IP address.

We're working on releasing filters soon which will let you redirect different apps to different locations simultaneously.

As for the Ukrainian server, IP addresses don't have location associated with them. So while the Ukraine server is in Ukraine, we can't rely on any other services knowing this. All those IP location websites are just guessing.

NIck
security_blog
Mystified Moa

Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:46 pm

Thank nick for the replay.
When I made the test of course I used the rule to redirect whole computer, so the test should not leack my IP.
I read about the new interesting feature of custom filter, but this feature is for advanced user that like to fine tune the VPN.
99% of user want click 'n go, so the option "redirect whole computer" shouldn't protect from ip leack?

Alex
khanyash
Student Sheep

Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:11 pm

Try this-
1. Disable WebRTC in the browser.
2. Disable SecureDNS in the browser.
3. Connect HideAway and then start the browser.
security_blog
Mystified Moa

Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:03 am

Thanks, I did such modifications in chrome and now the ipleack tes not show my ip.
I just wonder why with other vpn providers not need to make some modifications to the standard browser configuration.
Maybe they just add this settings in their client?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:11 am

I did have a user say there's a WebRTC leak, so we're investigating that. Normally it would work without any browser modifications.
security_blog
Mystified Moa

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:52 am

Nice. Hope you can find the solution to use standard configuration browser as normally should be.
For now I installed a chrome extension called "WebRTC Leack prevent" and disabled the SecureDNS option.
I will stay tuned for the new client feature.
Good job

Alex
khanyash
Student Sheep

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:03 am

security_blog wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:03 am
Thanks, I did such modifications in chrome and now the ipleack tes not show my ip.
I just wonder why with other vpn providers not need to make some modifications to the standard browser configuration.
Maybe they just add this settings in their client?
You have to disable SecureDNS in browsers with other VPNs too, otherwise DNS tests will fail, i.e., show your DNS.
security_blog
Mystified Moa

Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:18 am

khanyash wrote:
You have to disable SecureDNS in browsers with other VPNs too, otherwise DNS tests will fail, i.e., show your DNS.
I tested other 3 different VPN with standard browser (without WebRTC plugin and with SecureDNS enabled) and passed all test without show my real IP.
Today I tested again this VPN and look like some changes are done because, with standar browser, failes only one test of WebRTC leack, yesterday failed more tests.
khanyash
Student Sheep

Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 pm

security_blog wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:18 am
khanyash wrote:
I tested other 3 different VPN with standard browser (without WebRTC plugin and with SecureDNS enabled) and passed all test without show my real IP.
Today I tested again this VPN and look like some changes are done because, with standar browser, failes only one test of WebRTC leack, yesterday failed more tests.
I mean, with SecureDNS enabled in browsers, DNS tests will fail, i.e., show SecureDNS IP too.
Check DNS tests here: https://browserleaks.com

HideAway will pass IP and DNS tests if you first connect to HideAway and then start the browser. I do not know if HideAway protects against the WebRTC leak or not, but yes, there is a WebRTC leak with HideAway.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:40 am

We're looking in to this. Some IP leak websites show it, others don't.
BBQs
Student Sheep

Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 pm

I've run many tests over every site I can find to check IP/DNS I can find & there are no leaks, I was a little concerned after reading this post but not now - Tests run on on Hideaway are whole computer & PC started on whole computer - I have SecureDNS disabled on both my browsers Brave & New Edge - One thing to be aware of AVG/Avast will use their own DNS, this can be disabled though but can show as a leak. So no problems here.
khanyash
Student Sheep

Sun May 15, 2022 4:41 pm

BBQs wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 pm
I've run many tests over every site I can find to check IP/DNS I can find & there are no leaks, I was a little concerned after reading this post but not now - Tests run on on Hideaway are whole computer & PC started on whole computer - I have SecureDNS disabled on both my browsers Brave & New Edge - One thing to be aware of AVG/Avast will use their own DNS, this can be disabled though but can show as a leak. So no problems here.
Did you test for a WebRTC leak?
You can test here https://browserleaks.com
BBQs
Student Sheep

Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 pm

Yes, I checked everything, I have browser leaks among several other similar sites on my bookmarks - I cannot find any leaks of IP/WebRTC - From my point of view any leaks would render using a VPN void, though as I have said I cannot find any issues, will check from time to time.
khanyash
Student Sheep

Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 am

BBQs wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 pm
Yes, I checked everything, I have browser leaks among several other similar sites on my bookmarks - I cannot find any leaks of IP/WebRTC - From my point of view any leaks would render using a VPN void, though as I have said I cannot find any issues, will check from time to time.
Do you use AdGuard adblocker or any extension to block WebRTC in the browser?

What connection type do you have? I use my mobile phone hotspot and can reproduce the WebRTC leak every time. I have another two VPNs and those do not leak WebRTC even if I do not block WebRTC in the browser.

WebRTC leak test
ipleak.net - No
browserleaks.com - Yes (Public IP address)
ipleak.org - Yes (Public IP address)
expressvpn.com - Yes (Public IP address)
Last edited by khanyash on Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HideAway”