Speed Issue

Andrew42
Active Albatross

Speed Issue

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:45 am

If I activate a rule to direct web browsers through London with a lower rule directing all internet traffic going through Germany my speed up and down drops from 40mps to 1. If I deactivate the rule the speed goes back up again. Is there a reason?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Speed Issue

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi, which rule do you deactivate to get this change in speed?
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:12 pm

The rule directing all web traffic through London.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Ok, so the German server will be taking over and all your traffic will be going through it.

It could be really busy at that time or were' not handling the type of traffic properly - I'm inclined to think the latter, and as I've mentioned another time we're (still) working on the fix for this. We've actually got a prototype running and it's much faster on a lot less resources, we'll be integrating it soon and it should take care of any of these issues.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks Nick. I sometimes wonder if I don't have redundancy in my Rules. I have attached a rather messy screen shot with some explanations. If you could have a look and advise I would be grateful. I am not sure I understand the difference, for example, between routing all internet traffic through a given server and routing web browsers through a given server; doesn't the first cover the needs of the second?.

What I am looking for in redirection are the following:

1. Where to access a site I need to be seen to be in the country: Classic FM is an example - I need to show I am in England
2. Where I don't want the site to know where I am located. Facebook is an example.

In general I do not understand if the fewer rules the better or to have multiple discretely designed rules is better.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
RulesNov2.pdf
(83.62 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Let me come back to you after I talk to the programmers. I've had a few users have multiple rules setup covering similar things, so I'll just clarify how they're managed programmatically.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 pm

When you re-order your rules, if London (web browsers only) is above Germany (all computer) then London will take priority for your web browser traffic, all other traffic will go through Germany.

So rules higher up take priority over rules lower down.

1. You could make sure the sites you need to be seen in the country as specific rules.
2. Use the redirect to other country as a bottom rule for redundancy when you don't want facebook etc to know where you're from.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you Nick.

Return to “HideAway”