Hideaway Dies after Win 10 November Update

SeaCay
Student Sheep

Hideaway Dies after Win 10 November Update

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:26 am

Hello Firetrust folks,

I have recently been forced (by the ridiculous Window 10 rule that installs updates whether you want them or not) to update to to the November Win 10 release. As a result, whenever I launch Hideaway, it will run for a couple of minutes and then just quietly dies by vanishing from the process list and tray icons, There is no error message, It just dies. I am using version 1.3.0 of Hideaway on an AMD 64 bit system with oodles of free hard disk space and 16Gb of memory.

Any thoughts?

regards

SeaCay
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Hideaway Dies after Win 10 November Update

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi SeaCay

Try reinstalling HideAway, uninstall >> reboot >> install
http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/hi ... n/download

Hopefully that kicks things back into life
Warwick
Mystified Moa

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:25 pm

I uninstalled Hideaway to try to rectify this problem. When I reinstalled the latest version, the problem was still there. Tried to reinstall again and it wouldn't install, just stuffed my Ethernet driver. I lost the Internet until I restored my system (Windows 10) from a restore point I'd set before reinstalling. That fixed the Internet connection. So, foolishly, I tried to install Hideaway again. Same outcome: knocked the Internet out again and I had to restore windows again.

Hideaway has been a disappointment since I purchased it about seven months ago. I've had next to no use out of it (because I don't need to use it often, but I like it to work when I do need it) and I'm now afraid to install it again in case it does some real damage that's going to cost me a complete rebuild.

I need to add that every time I uninstalled and reinstalled (or partly reinstalled) Hideaway, it knocked the default setting off Google Chrome. Now I find that links to the Internet, e.g. in email messages, won't work when Chrome is set as default browser. I get this message:
OpenWith error message.jpg
OpenWith error message.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------

File info:
This PC.jpg
System info
This PC.jpg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
Warwick
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:21 pm

PS. I've managed to reinstall Hideaway and it's working, but I still have the issue with the OpenWith.exe malfunction in Windows 10. Now I don't know if it has anything to do with the Hideaway uninstallation, but I think the problem began only after I stuffed around with Hideaway. Also, the Hideaway uninstall/install process kept removing the default setting from Chrome. So it was certainly doing something to Chrome. Maybe I need to reinstall Chrome, a process that was a nightmare in itself last time I did it. :frown
Warwick
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:04 pm

PPS. I've reinstalled Chrome (very easily this time, as I didn't uninstall it first) and it seems all is well now. Both Chrome and Hideaway are working. 8)

Return to “HideAway”