Can't access BBC

sllo1
Student Sheep

Can't access BBC

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 pm

I played the uninstall-restart-reinstall game after problems with HA and Win 10. HA now works for PBS and UK Channel 4 in my browsers of choice, but not BBC. Not in Firefox; not in Chrome; not in IE. I get the "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only. Find out why. If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice" message, or else the video just doesn't load. Curiously, some BBC iPlayer videos run in Edge.

Because it is a pre-set rule, I can't open it to see what the settings are.

Thoughts? Solutions?

TIA.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Can't access BBC

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:17 am

Can you give me a link to a show that's not working for you ? I just tried BBC1 via iPlayer and it seemed all OK.

Also under My Rules >> check the rule doesn't have a strike through it, if it does, select to change the location >> Save.
sllo1
Student Sheep

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:50 am

Here's one that wasn't working last night when I posted. This afternoon, it is at least in Chrome. Still not in Firefox v.43.0.4.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... balmoral-2

The location is set to automatically select the best server in London.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am

Love that show :)

First thing to check, is that the BBC rule is your topmost rule. Go My Rules >> on the left of the Rule Name, you'll see a dotted icon, if you mouse over that you can move rules up and down, moving your BBC rule to the top will ensure that other rules you may have won't interfere.

If that isn't the problem, can you let us know what security software you have running ?

Another interim option to try as well, is add a rule for the Firefox browser, set that to the UK. We just want to check it works if your entire browser is getting filtered through the UK.

Thanks
sllo1
Student Sheep

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:34 pm

rusticdog wrote:Love that show :)
It's fun, isn't it.
rusticdog wrote:First thing to check, is that the BBC rule is your topmost rule. Go My Rules >> on the left of the Rule Name, you'll see a dotted icon, if you mouse over that you can move rules up and down, moving your BBC rule to the top will ensure that other rules you may have won't interfere.
I moved BBC to my topmost rule. It made no difference, which didn't surprise me as the rules above it had been for U.S. websites.
rusticdog wrote:If that isn't the problem, can you let us know what security software you have running ?
Well now, there's an interesting question. I recently installed Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete. It says it is protecting me. Windows says Windows Defender is protecting me. An issue I need to take up with Webroot Support.
rusticdog wrote:Another interim option to try as well, is add a rule for the Firefox browser, set that to the UK. We just want to check it works if your entire browser is getting filtered through the UK.
Indeed, Firefox now lets me watch BBC. And my local public TV station thinks I am no longer local.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:04 pm

See if IPV6 is enabled, disable that if it is.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Network and Sharing Center. In the View your active networks area, click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties. On the Networking tab, clear the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) check box, and then click OK.

Also, there's a Firefox Flash rule in the predefined rules which you could also enable and direct to London. We’ve seen it used for some DRM before.
sllo1
Student Sheep

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Tried them separately and together. Still no joy.

Does the placement of the flash rule have an impact? If it is enabled, is it routing all my Firefox flashplayer traffic through London, even the "local" video?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Sorry for not replying to this Susanne, thanks for the reminder.

In HideAway >> My Rules >> Add Rule >> can you try enabling the DNS Leak rule, see if that improves things.

Thanks
Chris
sllo1
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks Chris. That seems to have solved it.
sllo1
Student Sheep

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:21 pm

I spoke too soon. I could watch some clips, but not a program(me). It's not a critical problem as I have other browsers, but FF is my default.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:11 pm

sllo1 wrote:I spoke too soon. I could watch some clips, but not a program(me). It's not a critical problem as I have other browsers, but FF is my default.
Is it giving you an error, or just stuck loading the programme ?
sllo1
Student Sheep

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Can't recall the exact wording, but it's their standard "this isn't available to you" message when you try to play a program and it thinks you are outside the UK.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 pm

OK, I'm hopeful we'll have a beta version of HideAway end of next week that will improve this, if not it'll be 3 weeks out as the programmer is taking a little time off.

Return to “HideAway”