Hideaway will not run after Windows 10 pro reset

woxof
Rattled Rabbit

Hideaway will not run after Windows 10 pro reset

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:02 am

I first installed Hideaway on Win7 Ulimate 64 bit. Great program. I then updated to Windows 10 and it worked fine then as well. Due to other issues with itunes and inability to do a System Restore, I accomplished a Win10 reset which removes all software which does not come with windows. I reinstalled all my software saving Hideaway for last. My itunes and system restore problems cleared up, however I could not install Hideaway.
1. I do have Kaspersky and I de-activated the Self Defense module. All attempts at Hideaway installation resulted in a dialog box demanding a disk with “Hideaway LightWeightFilter” be inserted.
2. I cancelled the dialog and installation did continue. When Hideaway opened it was a white screen with the text “Loading……Looking for internet connection” where it remained.
3. I then uninstalled Hideaway, shut down Kaspersky completely, then tried reinstall with the same result.
4. I then un-installed Hideway and booted into Safe Mode and reinstalled there (did not get the “Hideaway LightWeightFilter” dialog box). Reboot to normal windows. This time Hideaway came up to the Log In to Firetrust Account. When I entered my credentials, Hideaway disappeared (systray icon as well). Attempts at restarting were fruitless.
5. I rebooted back into Safe Mode, uninstalled Hideaway, rebooted to Normal mode, rebooted back into Safe Mode, installed Hideaway, rebooted into Normal mode. Hideaway icon was present, when I right clicked it and opened Hideaway, it present the account login screen and shut down when I entered my credentials as before.
Any ideas? Thanks for your time…
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Hideaway will not run after Windows 10 pro reset

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi

Give this a try: Download and install this version using the safe mode install: http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/hide ... up_140.exe

We had a to release a version (1.40i.exe) which blocked the install if Kaspersky was running, because Kaspersky just caused so many issues. Good news is we're well on the way to version 2.0 of HideAway which uses a different device driver and which won't cause problems with Kaspersky (or more likely the other way around!).
woxof
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:16 am

Sorry Gents, but could not get that to work either. When I started the installation in Safe Mode, I received a (paraphrasing here) "windows startup screen prevented this app from running." I chose "run this app anyway" and the installation finished. I entered my firetrust login credentials, then it attempted to "load rules" and crashed. Rebooted into normal mode and could not get hideaway to start at all.
-if version 2 is on its way, will hang here at this point until it is released. Thank you for your efforts...
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 am

Ok, if it crashed at that point it means that the driver was not properly installed, so a restart of the PC might help in this case or Kaspersky is still blocking the install of the driver (which is more likely).
woxof
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 am

Unfortunately, that did not work either. Would consider moving to another AV but just renewed Kaspersky for a 3 machine 3 year license. Could you please give me a heads up when v2 is released? Thanks. I will continue to tinker.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 am

Yes we'll definitely let you know. It's not far away
woxof
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks, Nick, Just for grins I uninstalled KAV, rebooted into Safe Mode and tried to another install. Once more it gave me a dialog box looking for a filter file. I closed it out and installation proceeded normally but then shut down after log in. Tried rebooting in normal mode with same result (the systray icon would appear for 8 seconds then disappear.)

I must have something weird and unique happening with my machine. Remember, Hideaway was working on the computer with Win 7, and still working after the upgrade to Win 10. Only after the windows 10 reset did this occur. And since I completely removed KAV with the same result, don't think KAV is the culprit

Will continue to investigate....

Cheers!
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 am

ok thanks for the extra info. You could try restarting Win 10 after installing HideAway and see if that helps. We had quite a few people have to do that.

Return to “HideAway”